What's new

General/Other - Dragon Naginata Tanya Dragon Naginata Discussion Thread

Shaazzyam

undefeated online evo champion
i haven't played her yet, but can someone test blowing up armored wakeups with staff stance on opponent's kd.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
Still in the agonizing wait for the update... but I have been watching a few streams and she seams to have really short normals. Like you really need to be right in their faces. This makes me think that the spear variant might be the one, as it has actual range. I mean fireball has range but the spear actually has launchers right?

Spinky

Neutral Skipper
As far as combos go, all I have is this foolishness.

You can get 43% with EX drill afterwards, but this doesn't work on a crossover or at a distance, so I doubt it'll be (particularly) useful. Anybody have anything decent for her (30-something percent)? I got nothin'.

Last edited:

SEV

Noob
Posted in the combo forum, but, you can combo F2 DF3 D2. . . ridiculous footsie tool.

F2 DF3 D2 F2 D2 F2 Ji2 2U3 run in 34 DB4 (35%)

Also noticed that her low into the high(B31) can be armored between B3 and 1, so technically to be safe you have to use the low into the staff(B32) to be safe you confirm into ex DF3 and for some reason I can't get neutral jump punch to come out after exDF3 so you get low damage for a bar; silverlining: B32 easier to confirm than B31:

B32 exDF3 NjP run in 34 FK (31%)

Last edited:

infamy23

FireBeard
Also noticed that her low into the high(B31) can be armored between B3 and 1
Hmm? That's a true blockstring.

She has 4 strings with gaps.

24 - 3
B31 - 2
B31 - 3
F4 - 3

for some reason I can't get neutral jump punch to come out after exDF3
I was having trouble as well, but then I figured out that you have to be holding down before she comes out of her invisibility frames.

I do DF3(immediately hold down), wait for her to appear, then punch, and it works every time.

Mortal Komhat

Worst Well-Established Goro Player Ever
btw just so you know

you can't actually damage them with pogo more than twice in a combo

however, pogo, stance f2, pogo is a combo

infamy23

FireBeard
btw just so you know

you can't actually damage them with pogo more than twice in a combo

however, pogo, stance f2, pogo is a combo
Edit: nvm I been up all night and I can't read apparently. I see now that you said MORE than twice :)

Last edited:

shad0ki11er 27

Time will only tell the Greats
i seen someone say this was going to be the worst one to play anyone disagree I yet play her waiting for her to come out now actually but if its anything like Yoshimitsu I'm going to enjoy playing this character

infamy23

FireBeard
i seen someone say this was going to be the worst one to play anyone disagree I yet play her waiting for her to come out now actually but if its anything like Yoshimitsu I'm going to enjoy playing this character
My first impression of this variation is that it's all gimmicks.

She has a ton of options and incredibly unpredictable mobility. A good DN player is going to frustrate the hell out of people for these first few months.

But when people learn the matchup, her weakness is going to be heavily exploited. She is laughably unsafe in everything that she does, and alot of her good stuff is reactable. As time goes on it's going to become much harder to hit people, and you're going to be eating full combos every time your opponent blocks anything.

SEV

Noob
Meterless Low Starter(B32); very tight window going from the teleport to pogo, and only 4 will connect after pogo and it sends the full screen, unfortunately:

B32 DF3 D2 4 (20%)

Pogo 50/50 set up from low starter(B32); combo ends at the asterisk, the rest is the oki set up:

27%: B32 exDF3 NjP run B313* DF3 Ji2 (D2 Pogo or B32)

Otherwise you can get 4% more doing:

B32 exDF3 NjP run in 34 FK (31%)

And might as well give the overhead as well:

D2 F2 D2 F2 2U3 run in 34 FK (36%)

Last edited:

shad0ki11er 27

Time will only tell the Greats

She has a ton of options and incredibly unpredictable mobility. A good DN player is going to frustrate the hell out of people for these first few months.

But when people learn the matchup, her weakness is going to be heavily exploited. She is laughably unsafe in everything that she does, and alot of her good stuff is reactable. As time goes on it's going to become much harder to hit people, and you're going to be eating full combos every time your opponent blocks anything.
now that i'm playing her i see what you mean and i always did like big gimmick type characters but i can see the problems she will have in the future thanks for the insight

SEV

Noob

I don't about this. Dragon Naginata might end up being the best, pending how Pyromancer's zoning goes, while Kobu Jutsu might be gimmicks.

Dragon Naginata is the only variation that has true 50/50, even though the overhead might be unsafe, and she actually gets a safe low from B32 which is pretty important; I'll explain:

Kobu Jutsu's overhead starts as a high, not overhead, and her low, B31, can be interrupted with armor between the B3 and 1. So, since she doesn't have a true, fast starting overhead in Kobu Jutsu, you can fuzzy guard her 50/50 by blocking low by default, then reacting when you see the overhead button start. Then, because B31 can be armored through, if you block the low, you can react with armor. I see that variation being like Batman in Injustice in the long run; so long as you're awake she won't be able to open you up, and with the gaps, she isn't even safe doing it.

The character already has crazy air mobility and all Dragon Naginata needs to do to impose her true 50/50, is land a Ji2 which shouldn't be hard.

It'll be interesting to see how things play out.

Last edited: