What's new

Steve Beran talks making the characters the stars and putting the emotion in to MKX

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios' Art Director, Steve Beran recently conducted an interview with Man Cave Daily talking about the true artistic side of Mortal Kombat X that we may not have given much thought to... yet. From the wide range of exchanged dialogue that will come from both new and old characters, down to the cinematic camera angles that Mortal Kombat X will be delivering, Steve Beran puts things in to perspective.

Considering the awesome story-lines that are shared among all characters in the world of Mortal Kombat, putting these little additives in to the fight itself may just have us more attached than ever to our favorite kombatants.

steveberan.jpg

SB: First and foremost, our characters are the stars. New-gen tech can do close to limitless polygons, and we want the player to be impressed with the characters. They’re pretty big, and so we try to inject personalities from the intro scene down to the animation. When you start the fight, the characters engage in a dialog that’s much more emotion based. Every character has custom lines for interacting with other characters, which pulls players in more of a cinematic experience as we get more involved/comfortable with using film-based cameras within the game. Tech lets us make the gameplay look like a movie, and there’s no reason not to do that. Read the full interview, here!
Source: ManCaveDaily

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.
Yes, it’s a 2D view, but there’s so much going on in the game in the background that it pulls you in. It’s a monumental experience, and one that pulls you in much more so than any movie possibly can.

This worries me, I hope it doesnt cause stage lag like in MK9!

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
Hopefully I get to experience this with one of my favorite kombatants...

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Man i hope Skarlet so in this game, i will embrace her more dearly than before in all 3 variations if she is in.

callMEcrazy

Alone is where to find me.
"cinematic experience"
"look like a movie"

Please...no.
Please be more open-minded. If we get a MK movie inside the game how is that not great ? MK9 story mode was good but not good enough to be called a movie. As for the background making it movie like, why should that be a bad thing ? As long as the gameplay mechanics are good I see no problems with it.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Please be more open-minded. If we get a MK movie inside the game how is that not great ? MK9 story mode was good but not good enough to be called a movie. As for the background making it movie like, why should that be a bad thing ? As long as the gameplay mechanics are good I see no problems with it.
Also one option they need to do is have the movie "watch movie" as an option unlocked say after we complete storymode, that would be SICK!

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Also one option they need to do is have the movie "watch movie" as an option unlocked say after we complete storymode, that would be SICK!
I always felt that MK movie without fight "scenes" is something weird.

MKF30

I always felt that MK movie without fight "scenes" is something weird.
Who said no fight scenes, they could do mocap fights choreographed in movie style then rendered in cgi :) but im prob wishing for too much lol

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Who said no fight scenes, they could do mocap fights choreographed in movie style then rendered in cgi :) but im prob wishing for too much lol
For some reason I though you meant something to watch all the cutscenes or something, heh.

MKF30

For some reason I though you meant something to watch all the cutscenes or something, heh.
Oh yeah, yeah I did. Like a movie mode that just let's us watch all the cut scenes. But this time have actual fight scenes, more than MK 9 you know? Kind of like you know how MKA, MK D intros were etc combined in the form of MK 9's storymode form. That would be awesome lol

ChaosTheory

A fat woman came into the shoe store today...
I still like the concept of Konquest to tell the story as opposed to watching a movie. That said, it would take a lot of time and resources to make it really solid. Almost like a second game.

And not everyone is a fan of exploring in games and shit like I am. But I liked MKD's story model better than MK9's.