What's new

Question So....is anybody else actually trying to main Skarlet

or is it really just me haha.

All the discussions seemed to have died a week or two after she was released.

Its a ghost town up in here.

MKU looks even worse. One long thread of someone bitching the first day she was released and not much else.

bigmiracle

Praise Sheeva
I don't think I've fought a single Skarlet online. I don't know why, but the hype seems to have died down on her :(

I am currently looking for a second main to do tag team with, and also use if I don't feel comfortable with Kitana. I'm currently in debate mode over Skarlet or Kabal.

Since the rumored patch nerfs on Skarlet though, I'm not sure what to learn with her, so she's kinda on hold. I dont know if it's worth getting used to her back dash dagger toss cancels, her red slide up slash combos, and other junk like that. I guess in the mean time I should familiarize myself with mixups and uses of her normals instead.

VIDA

Focused Grace and Intensity
You know I really want to alt her, but she is tricky and unorthodox as fuck to play, let alone master, which matches her playstyle and even character concept to an extent perfectly.

I know u asked who else will main her, but I really do wanna one day soon to be able to play her well to some extent at least. She really is a great char, and I have a feeling there's alot of tech to be found with her, even more so than other under-used, underrated chars. Really hoping sum1 high level promotes her soon now that she is legal.

@earthbound. Actually, funny you say that, I was thinking that she would be so much better as a tag partner because of how wildly polarized her matchups seem right now. She destroys certain characters completely, but gets completely destroyed by others.

Heres the thing guys, its a double edge sword. If we are all tentative about playing her, nothing gets found and shared about matchups and such, you know?

Its one thing to get some combos or read stuff from the living guide or w/e, but its another thing to go up against kung lao's or raidens and be back at square one.

I KNOW theres some really good players hiding their skarlet tech right now. My gut tells me that. They are probably playing the surprise card for summer jam.

If not then...well shes doomed to be another sonya. Amazing potential but high skill req, and not much attention or public info on her besides combos and basic overview.

Her tag assist is rediculous also. 15% off a (still!) controlable projectile, and her tag in is a mixup.

I TRULY am interested in her, but that's for the time being though. I took an interest in her due to her amazing keepaway ability, aerial moves, and capacity to still play a nice up close game (similar reasons as to why I main Kitana and am also checking out Kabal). Until I can feel what I "finalized" Skarlet is like, I'm not sure if I can truly main her due to the fact that her playstyle overall is going to be altered, possibly in such a way that would make me want to no longer use her. I wouldn't be like this is the nerfs were skin deep only, but man these are heavy changes.

Don't you worry though, I know I've played a few good Skarlets online, and she has players out there who know her well. As for how she is now, I feel she has a very high potential as a character and that we'll be seeing her in tournaments. Why? Because I think her moves provide her with enough tools to be in control of a match's flow. Once you have that quality, you can start dominating matchups.

And... here's to Ernov, good taste in character choice :p

aj1701

Noob
I'd love to learn her, but she seems like she's got a steep learning curve. And I've got enough just trying to level up and get away from my button mashing days, lol.

But I'd love to see her take off, she seems like a great, interesting character, and fresh blood to boot.

I'd love to learn her, but she seems like she's got a steep learning curve. And I've got enough just trying to level up and get away from my button mashing days, lol.

But I'd love to see her take off, she seems like a great, interesting character, and fresh blood to boot.
Once you get past the learning curve, she's so ****ing awesome.

There isn't a better character to train yourself to stop mashing in MK with, except maybe Sonya. I've found that I can pick up some characters combos, that I used to fail at, much quicker now. EG: double b21 into b11 trance with quan chi...buffering the dash felt so awkward until I did a million b2downslash loops with skarlet

Johnny2d

Xbl: Johnny2Die
I main Jade and got up to 500 wins, 300 losses online, so a winning record none the less. I wanted to find an alt to fool around with and picked up Skarlet Wednesday. I put some time into practice then tried her out in player matches, and lost a bunch before getting the hang of it. On Thursday I looked at my notes on why I thought I was losing, went into practice to try to get better, then went back online and started winning most player matches. I ended up winning about 15 in ranked and losing 5 or so. Thanks for the feedback guys. After just two days of Skarlet experience, this hurts me to say, I might be saying goodbye to Jade. I'll be maining Skarlet for the time being, although the thought of switching characters every 500 wins is kind of appealing too.

Reasons I would main Skarlet over Jade:
1. Matches are more fun, fast paced and intense
2. I'm getting wins against characters that I had a really hard time with with Jade, Kung Lao, Cage
3. I like to rush down, Skarlet's dagger cancels and high low mix up allow me to keep pressure
4. Kung Lao Spin bate: I like jumping in on a waking kung lao only to throw a dagger down on him when he tries to spin me

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
I'm ~580/120 with Skarlet in ranked, TS 40-42, with many of those "losses" actually disconnects due to shitty netcode (I never quit). Skarlet is a beast. How she handles post patch depends heavily on the length of her dagger cancel delay as most bnbs rely on it. 50% 1meter launchers that put opponents in the corner are arguably broken, but her mechanics aren't THAT hard to learn, so I would say they're unfair. Feel free to challenge me on XBL anytime, I'll show you how I play her.

I will be maining her post patch as well - I have new bnb 30%+ meterless resets that work based on what we know will be patched on her. A hint for other Skarlets looking to make post patch combos: she differs in timing from most characters' combos, but in other ways she's just like, say, SubZero

Good luck!

Creepy00

Noob
Well she has Juggle and mix up potential, but as she is right now people dont mind in learning her, that is what i did actually. Once, The patch comes up things might change in the scarlet threads.

Subby

Frost Warrior
I don't understand why the hype died. =/
Correct if wrong, but isn't she one of the broken DLC characters? I thought people would hop onter her....

Ninj

She's not broken for one reason. The people that can pull of her combos deserve every bit of damage they take.
Eh...I don't quite agree with this. Her combo's are odd, not impossible. Once I realized dashslashing was possible, it took relatively very little time to perfect it. The combo's I've been creating that aren't dependent on dashslashing and should be possible despite dagger delay (EX dagger may be necessary, which will take the place of EXdashslashing).

Anyways...we have to wait and see what happens with the patch to know anything for sure.

BookBurning

Voidwards
Combo difficulty relating to damage being okay is a bad mindset to have because inevitably, someone will always master these combos through muscle memory and then gain the damage everytime anyways.

yea but they aren't that difficult and I'd make the argument that a middle road needs to be struck. It can't be TOO easy to do big damage.

anywho, it feels awfully dirty sometimes to win by dagger cancels and f43 alone lol. Its hard to test her out online because most people will just quit after a couple rounds, not before choosing someone they think is "da cheapest" and "spam" their "cheapest" moves in rage. I guess these kids think quan chi's sky drop is safe???

aj1701

Noob
There isn't a better character to train yourself to stop mashing in MK with, except maybe Sonya. I've found that I can pick up some characters combos, that I used to fail at, much quicker now. EG: double b21 into b11 trance with quan chi...buffering the dash felt so awkward until I did a million b2downslash loops with skarlet
Really? Maybe I'll try her out more once my stick arrives. Part of problem is button mashing (I keep hitting it until the move comes out, lol), but the other part is fat fingers. I'm hoping the stick will be different enough that I can break my bad habits, plus using all my fingers instead of just my thumb I'm hoping would help. My typing is fine, so the more keyboard liek the better my execution will be (I hope).

Ninj

if she was easy OR broken, a lot more people would pick her. she is neither. as of right now she is one of the least picked characters(online). i dont care though, i like her.
Yeah unfortunately my statement was relative. I'm adept at fighting games and game mechanics so I guess for me personally her complex combos are not that difficult.

Well once you figure out how to do the dagger cancel and how her links work, she's not hard. I guess what I really mean is that she's not scrub friendly, and I feel she's one of the top 10 hardest characters in the game to master. She has a huge amount of possible combos, as well. I never rinse repeat with her. There's no flowchart.