What's new

Should we have more defensive options?

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
I'm cool with the Killer Instinct style idea of just making every character broken and then letting the players sort it out.

As long as the new dash and walking speed dose not end in one touch death combos I think it's good as is.

Remember unlike mkx and mk11 all slots have meter less launchers, so far, and many of the kameos do as well. So while we have bars and ex moves or whatever... I think breakers are going to be the main use.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
To be honest, I've come across this argument on this forum multiple times: "pro players are inconsistent and the same people who criticized MKX when it was the current ongoing MK are the same ones now shitting on MK11 and praising MKX" and I've yet to see a single example of this.

I see the same people who liked MKX during its time continue to praise it to this day while the same people who criticized it for "dumb 50/50 rushdown" praised mk11 (and keep praising it to this day). Never once have I seen the same person shit on MKX and then fondly remember it during the MK11 lifecycle. It seems to me people are very into the notion of grouping the two differing opinions into a single folkloric amalgamation that never existed in the first place just because these opinions were from pro-players, while ignoring the fact that they were different pro-players who kept their opinions consistent.
You clearly weren't paying attention to social media or actually talking to top players offline.

As someone that DID travel, I remember at one CEO they had made parody 50 dollar bills with "50/50" on them, and they had Paulo'a face on them.

It wasn't folklore. It happened. The vast majority of players fucking despised MKX.

Now? Look no further than things like Champions of the Realms, or how players started re-streaming the game and talking about it once MK11's official prize support stopped.

This happens with every game. You'd know it if you did more than shitpost on TYM.

Rude

If you say so. Still, what I'm saying is I am yet to see this, so this is very likely not such a common thing as people make it out to be.
Or you just haven't spent any real time looking. Or you don't exist in reality. Or both.

Rude

Lol not sure if serious. Not gonna go through bumping years-old twitter posts, but there were TONS of players bashing MKX then praising it after MK11. In fact, there was a huge "return of the footsies" narrative when MK11 was coming out because of many people saying MKX had none and was "easy/no skill". Then during MK11's no support phase some of those same players started going back at one point to the "more fun MKX". Streaming MKX out of nowhere. Etc.

There's more I can say, but there definitely was a lot of the same people hating on MKX praising it years later.
Facts. Heck, not even I'm immune. I hated playing MKX in tournament. Stressful as fuck. Now I think it's fun in bursts. Generally, I like something about every NRS game.

Except MK9. I am the last hater of MK9. The rest of us died years ago. Fuck that game.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
My guess is there will be a combination of:

1. Maybe 1-2 more defensive options
  2. Kameo's having strong defensive options
  3. Adjusting to MK1 simply being a more offense based game. The best defense is a good offense, as they say.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous

If a NRS game had a 100% Parry All move that was just 2 buttons, the FGC would have a fit.

I find it funny that SF and Tekken are more "nrs" than ever right now.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter

If a NRS game had a 100% Parry All move that was just 2 buttons, the FGC would have a fit.

I find it funny that SF and Tekken are more "nrs" than ever right now.
A lot of SF players dislike the parry in SF6. A lot of them also dislike DR and DI, lol.

That said, I don’t think any mechanic in a FG will ever be as hated as X-Factor in Mahval 3, and to a lesser extent V-Trigger in SF5.

Seriously though. The amount of 1v3 comebacks in MvC3/UMvC3 solely due to X-Factor was wild. You could literally kill a character with a regular BnB, sometimes not even that, shit was nutty. It was the comeback mechanic of all time

BumbleBee

Power of Toasty
As someone that DID travel, I remember at one CEO they had made parody 50 dollar bills with "50/50" on them, and they had Paulo'a face on them.
Ha, that is legitimately hilarious and inventive. I might look this up once i come back from work. Good one.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
I think they did a great job. Delayed wakeup and armor work well to get you off the ground without feeling too janky. Plus how NRS jumps behave.

Upblock seems solid like I don't use a ton myself, some players use it more and you have to adjust and obviously there's time for it against certain moves. I like how you can make the read and it's not like a high execution thing like flawless block.

Flawless block is good, makes the game better but also doesn't ask you to use it too much. Maybe they could make more moves affected by it but it's a good implementation. Flawless blocking projectiles is great.

The Kameo wakeups are on the weaker side but I think the meta works without them.

D2 two bar cancel is very janky input and in usage, the game doesn't need it really but it could use some work. But it's not an issue really just not a good mechanic atm.

I think defense is in a good place but ideally, Kameo wakeups and D2 cancels would be more prominent

BumbleBee

Power of Toasty
NRS are the kind of people, that would introduce a new defensive mechanic instead of fixing Storm Cell > Kanoball (and now Stunt Double > Storm Cell), but, as Kiss the Missle put it, now that some time has passed, yes, i think a forward roll would do nicely (and if not - perhaps more pushback after a flawless block).