What's new

Video/Tutorial Sheeva Video Guide By Espio

Espio

Kokomo
Sheeva Video Guide

Music Intro
Biography:
Sheeva is a member of the four-armed Shokan race. Her markings reveal that she is of the royal Draco lineage. Like all Shokan, she pledged her life to Shao Kahn, bringing honor to her race by serving him.
During an attack by Edenian rebels on Shao Kahn's fortress, Sheeva fiercely protected Queen Sindel and prevented her capture. She was subsequently appointed Sindel's personal bodyguard until the queen's mysterious death in Earthrealm. Sheeva is now the master jailer of Shao Kahn's oppressive dungeon.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fighting Game Appearences: MK3, UMK3, MKT, Armageddon, MK9.
Other Media/Game Appearences: Mortal Kombat Annihilation, Mortal Kombat: Defender of the Realm(TV Show)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Part 1: The Basics-Normals, Specials, X-ray, Things To Avoid
Getting Out Of Pressure And X-ray combos
Part 2: Grab N Punch Mix ups, Unbreakable Damage, Corner Combos
Punishment Options & Bnb's that Whiff on Certain Characters
Part 3: String Breakdown, Jump Kick Combos,Punishment options

Espio

Kokomo
Attention: Anyone who has questions about Sheeva, ask them before Friday night and I'll answer them in part 3.

This is great. I was looking forward to it when the site went down, thanks for posting it again quickly
You're welcome, if you have any questions you want answered in part 3, please let me know :).

I wanted to hurry and get the content up cause I know Sheeva players and other curious people wanted to check on it and I had recorded a week or so ago if I recall..

4x4lo8o

Noob
I didn't watch all of both videos yet, so I don't exactly what you covered, but I do have a few things.

How do you get out of pressure with Sheeva? Especially in a corner. I feel like a lot of time I can get in a groove and do really well, but if I get stuck on the defensive it gets really hard to turn things around.

Also, how do you get people with low grab? When do you use it, how do you get them to crouch, anything. It's so good, but it's hard to find times to use it and it seems like even sometimes when I use it and they're crouching it whiffs anyway(presumably because I'm not close enough, but I feel like it's hard to get much closer).

I don't know how much character specific stuff you want to do, but I have trouble with Reptile. I feel like Elbow Dash it really hard to punish and it messes up footsies and other things because it's so fast. Handling characters like Mileena who can completely shut down telestomp is also a big thing.
I'm sure this is too specific for the video, but my friend plays Liu Kang and he uses this string that starts with a fast low(I think it's b312). He can't even complete the combos he starts off of it, but sometimes he'll get me in the corner and do it over and over again. I can't do wake ups(I'm not sure if that's because I'm bad or if it has to do with the low hit standing me up too fast) and if I just low block I have trouble poking out and eventually he throws in a string with an overhead that gets me. It's only happened a couple times, but it's very frustrating. What can I do besides fuzzy guarding better and not getting stuck in the corner?

Espio

Kokomo
I didn't watch all of both videos yet, so I don't exactly what you covered, but I do have a few things.

How do you get out of pressure with Sheeva? Especially in a corner. I feel like a lot of time I can get in a groove and do really well, but if I get stuck on the defensive it gets really hard to turn things around.

Sheeva has a 6 frame down 1 and a 7 frame down 3, good for getting out of pressure, that's how most characters get out of pressure is utilizing their low pokes. If you're in the corner you have to be patient to get out of the corner and pick your shots, comes from experience. You also can use her strong armor moves, but I recommend not being too reliant on them to get out of pressure, learn a strong counterpoke and footsie game to get out of pressure and space your opponent out to whiff punish accordingly.

Also, how do you get people with low grab? When do you use it, how do you get them to crouch, anything. It's so good, but it's hard to find times to use it and it seems like even sometimes when I use it and they're crouching it whiffs anyway(presumably because I'm not close enough, but I feel like it's hard to get much closer).

I talk about low grab set ups in part 2 of the videos currently posted, actually and I discuss my favorite set ups off of them, so make sure to check out both vids for further details. I will be honest though, like I say the videos despite the good damage off of a low grab, it's a pretty situational special and not a prominently used tool in my arsenal, but it's still good to know. If it whiffs...it depends if you're not in range definitely, go to practice to figure out the more precise range of low grab, it has okay reach, not great, but not bad either.

I don't know how much character specific stuff you want to do, but I have trouble with Reptile. I feel like Elbow Dash it really hard to punish and it messes up footsies and other things because it's so fast. Handling characters like Mileena who can completely shut down telestomp is also a big thing.

Hmmm...there's about a 3 frame window to punish dash with Sheeva's 2,1,2, forward 1 into grab in punch for 30% and a 2 frame window to punish with her standing 1 into 1,2, back 1, 4, grab n punch for 31%, elbow dash is -15 on block, but if this is online, it's even harder to punish and you'll usually miss it...usually you have to dash forward to punish with a lot of characters it seems. It's really difficult to low poke and counterpoke Reptile because dash eats pokes pretty decisively, pretty much you gotta bait Reptile more so than anything because dash is an extremely fast advancing special. Punishing dash is awkward sometimes as it seems Reptile is sometimes closer or further away, even offline I noticed this...just need more practice I imagine.

Mileena is really tough for Sheeva...maybe I'll try to set up matches with a Mileena player, but tele-stomp is pretty much a full combo punishable risk almost always in the MU, baiting Mileena's mistakes and punishing her hard is your best hope for defeating Mileena and you can punish roll with back 2, 1+2 into anti-air grab for 30% (to be covered in part 3)

I'm sure this is too specific for the video, but my friend plays Liu Kang and he uses this string that starts with a fast low(I think it's b312). He can't even complete the combos he starts off of it, but sometimes he'll get me in the corner and do it over and over again. I can't do wake ups(I'm not sure if that's because I'm bad or if it has to do with the low hit standing me up too fast) and if I just low block I have trouble poking out and eventually he throws in a string with an overhead that gets me. It's only happened a couple times, but it's very frustrating. What can I do besides fuzzy guarding better and not getting stuck in the corner?
I have limited Liu Kang experience but if you're fighting a predictable Liu Kang that keeps trying to pressure with that string you can use ex grab in punch and take 22% life and throw him into the corner where you can return the pressure on him. I wouldn't try waking up if you don't have meter...just block the string and pick a spot to down 3 or down 1 out of pressure. That overhead is about 20 frames so you have a decent amount of time to react to the overhead (not saying it's easy to do this).

Roko1985

Put down the controller and run!
Attention: Anyone who has questions about Sheeva, ask them before Friday night and I'll answer them in part 3.

You're welcome, if you have any questions you want answered in part 3, please let me know :).

I wanted to hurry and get the content up cause I know Sheeva players and other curious people wanted to check on it and I had recorded a week or so ago if I recall..
I love your videos man. I like that you are giving the attention to the low tier character. I just want to put something about the corner 12b1 starter. The one you showed does 40% damage with JIP(JIP 12B1, 12B1, 212F1 grab). If you do 12B1, 212F1 low grab(miss),212F1 grab.... Does 42% and is way easier to land. Keep the good work going man. Maybe if you can talk about some stomp(DB4) setups, would be nice.

Roko1985

Put down the controller and run!

About the low grab setups..... I like JIP F3 low grab(make sure that the JIP doesn't combo with the F3 so take small pause). Or JIP D3 low grab. You can fish for it if go for 212(hit) low grab. If they hold down, you will grab them. If the grab miss you go for another 212. The low grab can be use to preassure, not just for damage. Let say 212F1 Grab(gives you +12 frames) will make most smart players block the incoming, then you go for 212F1 low grab(miss) 212F1. They will block at first and when they see the low grab instead and try to poke 212 may catch them. After blocked grab D4 fireball is a frame trap, so they may block low..... Then instead of D4 fireball, go for low grab. There is nothing 100% safe and sure, but yeah that is Mortal Kombat. Read your opponent.

Espio

Kokomo
I love your videos man. I like that you are giving the attention to the low tier character. I just want to put something about the corner 12b1 starter. The one you showed does 40% damage with JIP(JIP 12B1, 12B1, 212F1 grab). If you do 12B1, 212F1 low grab(miss),212F1 grab.... Does 42% and is way easier to land. Keep the good work going man. Maybe if you can talk about some stomp(DB4) setups, would be nice.
Thank you :). I appreciate the info in regards to the higher damaging bnb. There's always combos that might do more or less damage and might be easier that I just miss. I usually just show 2-3 examples, if I hadn't already filmed it, I'd add it because that combo is good not only because it does more damage, but builds slightly more meter. I might post about it in part 3 with a real brief discussion of it. Jeremiah mentioned it too I think, but the crash removed it, love the help for sure :).

I actually talked about low grab set ups in part 2. I talked about 2,1,2 low grab set up, forward 3 into low grab after conditioning them to block low and such as well as some others I believe.

I usually just talk briefly about topics because even when I tried to condense part one it ended up being over 30 minutes and I'm trying to make the videos short enough to not get tedious or tiresome cause I know it's a lot to take in at once.

I'll talk about ground pound set ups briefly at the end of the video, I'll talk about 2-3 in the interest of time because part 3 is punishment options, string breakdown, and jump kick combos.

Espio

Kokomo
I apologize for the delay guys college has really hindered my time and my ability to complete my projects, coupled with people always being at my house lol. Part 3 will be coming though :).

Espio

Kokomo
Part 3 is now currently live, I know it's not ideal but I couldn't structure it the way I wanted to :(. Honest feedback is welcome though :).

peachyO

Noob
great guide!!:D there a couple of things i would differ on, however. and a couple of items i don't think were covered, but are noteworthy.

1. rehabilitated is a very important string to use. aside from extreme damage for only two hits, it sends a foe flying full screen just as the en untamed fury. and just as the untamed fury, this string put them in position for a quick ground pound, a fireball, or a jump stomp, depending on who the enemy is. if the f3 hits, i suggest using the full string once in a while, particularly if you are low on meter. it is a great spacing tool. of course, never go for it if the f3 is blocked; it's fully punishable as you mentioned!!

2. 2,1, ground pound is not a good option. that combo can be interrupted and fully punished. 2,1,2,ground pound is the proper option; it cannot be interrupted and does more damage.

3. darkness (b1,2,1+2) is like four way (2,1,2,f1) in that you can cancel into any special move after completing the string. it matters not mid-screen, but if you are even up to 2 dashes away from the corner, fireball or untamed fury will connect; the latter option inflicts 31% damage (34% if started with a jip or the grab is enhanced; 37% if both those apply). so, mid-screen, cancel after the first 2 hits; near a corner, complete the string and cancel into untamed fury!

4. 2,1,2,f1, untamed fury whiffs on kitana and mileena unless they are in their mk2/mk3 classic costumes. it also frequently whiffs on skarlet and occasionally sonya if the 2,1,2 is blocked. for these ho's, cancel into a fireball instead; whether they eat the full combo or block the first few blows, it will land and teach them a lesson!!

5. AA grab should be discussed more as a punishment option. on its own it beats kitana's pretty kick and square boost, all blocked teleport attacks (except scorpion's and ermac's EN teleports), all kano ball variations, kung lao's teleport, sonya's arc kick, mileena's teleport kick (blocked or not), liu kang's blocked bike kick or flying kick, jade's staff overhead, raiden's blocked superman, and quan's sky drop. it is unbreakable, untechable, inflicts 14% damage (18% EN) and places them in sweep range. the EN version will defeat all ia projectiles if sheeva is within grabbing range. if a player is a little more confident, after blocking any attack in which the enemy is left suspended in air (usually rolling, like quan, raiden, ect) try 2,1,2 before cancelling into the AA grab, or substitute gran n punch, as it is unbreakable and untechable too. other punishment options include 4, grab n punch (occasionally whiffs; timing is a little tight) 1,2, AA grab or grab n punch, and finally b2, 1+2, fireball or AA grab (the best, but trickiest n account of the simultaneous button press)

Espio

Kokomo
I'll be making another video it appears to cover some useful info I omitted, thanks peachy :).

great guide!!:D there a couple of things i would differ on, however. and a couple of items i don't think were covered, but are noteworthy.

1. rehabilitated is a very important string to use. aside from extreme damage for only two hits, it sends a foe flying full screen just as the en untamed fury. and just as the untamed fury, this string put them in position for a quick ground pound, a fireball, or a jump stomp, depending on who the enemy is. if the f3 hits, i suggest using the full string once in a while, particularly if you are low on meter. it is a great spacing tool. of course, never go for it if the f3 is blocked; it's fully punishable as you mentioned!!

I did cover that string, it's forward 3, 2 I believe it's the one where she swings around like a windmill, the 2 in this string is very punishable on block. The forward of the string is really good when cancelled. I did mention ground pound and fireball, but not jump stomp :(.

2. 2,1, ground pound is not a good option. that combo can be interrupted and fully punished. 2,1,2,ground pound is the proper option; it cannot be interrupted and does more damage.

For this portion I wasn't talking about as a combo because as you said it can be punished, it's a mix up while using the string, but I agree if you land the hits in the string to use it combo wise that way.

3. darkness (b1,2,1+2) is like four way (2,1,2,f1) in that you can cancel into any special move after completing the string. it matters not mid-screen, but if you are even up to 2 dashes away from the corner, fireball or untamed fury will connect; the latter option inflicts 31% damage (34% if started with a jip or the grab is enhanced; 37% if both those apply). so, mid-screen, cancel after the first 2 hits; near a corner, complete the string and cancel into untamed fury!

4. 2,1,2,f1, untamed fury whiffs on kitana and mileena unless they are in their mk2/mk3 classic costumes. it also frequently whiffs on skarlet and occasionally sonya if the 2,1,2 is blocked. for these ho's, cancel into a fireball instead; whether they eat the full combo or block the first few blows, it will land and teach them a lesson!!

I made a video about this outside of the video guide, I'll make a short video with this information and add it to the Original post, good eye dude, my bad , I forgot about this lol :).

5. AA grab should be discussed more as a punishment option. on its own it beats kitana's pretty kick and square boost, all blocked teleport attacks (except scorpion's and ermac's EN teleports), all kano ball variations, kung lao's teleport, sonya's arc kick, mileena's teleport kick (blocked or not), liu kang's blocked bike kick or flying kick, jade's staff overhead, raiden's blocked superman, and quan's sky drop. it is unbreakable, untechable, inflicts 14% damage (18% EN) and places them in sweep range. the EN version will defeat all ia projectiles if sheeva is within grabbing range. if a player is a little more confident, after blocking any attack in which the enemy is left suspended in air (usually rolling, like quan, raiden, ect) try 2,1,2 before cancelling into the AA grab, or substitute gran n punch, as it is unbreakable and untechable too. other punishment options include 4, grab n punch (occasionally whiffs; timing is a little tight) 1,2, AA grab or grab n punch, and finally b2, 1+2, fireball or AA grab (the best, but trickiest n account of the simultaneous button press)
I like this I'll add it to the next video :).

peachyO

Noob
I'll be making another video it appears to cover some useful info I omitted, thanks peachy :).

I like this I'll add it to the next video :).
:) yay!! i love your videos!! i know you mentioned the rehabilitated string. i brought it up because you mentioned it was unwise to use the full string, but imo it's very important to use (wisely) because of its spacing and follow up properties.

peachyO

Noob

Espio speaks correctly. another good option, if you have the meter, is to use EN jump stomp (jump crush) it's armored, and will stop liu kang in his tracks...especially in the corner. you will reverse postions and can then corner rape him. follow it up in one of several ways:

1. if your friend likes to wake up with dragon kick or bike kick, anticipate it by blocking, then use 2,1,2, AA grab or b2, 1+2 AA grab;

2. if he like to go into a string, counter w d4 jump stomp or d4, grab n punch;

3. 2,1,2,b1 grab n punch. if he blocks the string, then cancel into a ground pound after the 2,1,2. rinse and repeat. no need to tolerate that foolish shaolin's spammy strings!!

4. go for the kill!! f3, then low grab (if f3 is blocked), b2, 1+2, fireball or AA grab. if that's too complicated, then use EN ground pound instead of low grab. if f3 hits, then grab n punch!!

Espio

Kokomo
Hopefully this has been helpful to everyone, I don't forsee any other videos coming now, unless pressing new info arises for her, this was fun. I'm really greatful to have helped the Sheeva community, this is one of my favorite character communities, very optimistic and immensely helpful.

Keep at it guys, Sheeva might have issues, but she's still an awesome character. She commands respect, Sheeva is a goddess <3.