What's new

Second (Current-Era) Mortal Kombat Movie Moving Forward

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator

It’s that time again.. I wonder what differences they’ll bring this time? Hopefully a slightly bigger budget. And I also hope that, like the Marvel movies, they realize they value of putting a team together that can create a truly good standalone product without just riding the franchise name. But that takes money to pay people, which hopefully they have now.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
The movie was bad, but not bad enough to force a reboot instead of getting a sequel.

But they've got alot of things to fix and I'm not sure they're even aware of everything that was broken
Idk, it was pretty bad. Not just the plot, a lot of the dialog was horrid. Some of it was great and funny tho, especially Kano.

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
I'm glad people on here are acknowledging that the movie was bad...like, really bad. They do have a lot to fix, and starting with a better/different writer is just the beginning.

Really, I just hope they have more faith in the source material. FOCUS more on a few heroes, and really flesh out one villain, rather than trying to jump in and tell some Avengers level story. But to be honest, we all know they won't. They are going to shoehorn Shao Kahn in here as one of many bad-guy's, and somehow Cole will be the victor in the end.

They should just reboot it. They should take inspiration from the MCU.

Have a movie that just focuses on one character and then build from there. They can eventually lead to a movie that focuses on the tournament after subsequent movies have been made that focus on different characters.

Or just have a tv series.

They need proper world building so everything doesn't feel so enclosed and tiny, and viewers have a reason to give a shit who any of these characters are.
Some of the fanservice was alright but definitely not enough to carry these movies, plus the decisions around writing Cole are really out of touch.

The arcana thing isn't bad on its own, but the whole "unlocking" aspect felt very shonen anime and then there was that scene with Jax' arms leveling up...

Last edited:

Pizza

Thrill Kill
I liked the movie so I'm happy with this.

The Rock as Shao Kahn pls

Derek Mears as Quan Chi!

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Idk, it was pretty bad. Not just the plot, a lot of the dialog was horrid. Some of it was great and funny tho, especially Kano.
Horrid dialogue?? Never in MK

Seriously though, it was pretty bad, but not horrifically bad. The first scene was excellent, so the rest of the movie was very disappointing. Cole fucking sucked, there's no reason they couldn't have used someone like Cage as the audience's POV into the world for the first time. It was a very good adaptation of the Bi Han version of Sub-Zero imo, and same deal for Scorpion. Needed WAY MORE Scorpion, the actor is awesome, the beginning scene set him and his hatred for Bi Han up perfectly for him to be a major character, and all that shit. Even if they insisted on Cole being in the movie, they could have done more to make Scorpion's return more meaningful, like saving his descendent from SZ when he failed to save his family in the past. Kung Lao and Goro dying like punks was an absolute waste. But I can tell that the people who made it like the games, so that was cool.

Movie was eh imo. It's hardly the worst plot or writing to bear the MK name, and while it's got a lot of "Make the producer/marketing team happyt" nonsesne like forcing in some everyman protag, it at least felt like a mortal kombat story and had some cool stuff.

I'm cautiously optimistic they could turn this into something good, but then like all things it depends just how much the producer/marketing team get to take the reigns. I had similar feelings about the first venom (something with potential that was good in spite of itself) and the sequel's a trash fire.

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
Movie was largely trash tier save for Sub / Scorpion backstory. Kano was a bright spot but it's mostly because they decided to make him Johnny Cage. I have 0 faith in continuing this particular iteration of the franchise and would much rather see a reboot TV show.

Art Lean

Noob
It sounds like a silly thing when there's undoubtedly lots more things that need to be improved and addressed (though I really enjoyed MK21), but I REALLY REALLY hope we get some proper exotic on-location settings in the next film. MK21 felt so urban and bland, only the scenes set in Japan felt even remotely exotic and visually striking. All the scenes set in Chicago, the farm, the wastelands of Outworld, the desert of Earthrealm and Raiden's cave were all so dull looking.

If you're not making a movie of MK3, I never want to see the Mortal Kombat universe look so boring (and considering MK3 always reminded me of the horror of Doom 2 Hell on Earth, there's no excuse for that either). The fact they actually deleted the scene in Raiden's bamboo garden is a crime (well none of the deleted scenes should have been deleted, considering the movie's so short) since it actually gave the film such much needed natural beauty, rich colour and Asian mysticism.

I want to see locations on par with some of the gorgeous settings seen in MK95; the real temples, ancient statues, mountainous island plateaus, the dragon boats on the ocean, the beaches, the palm trees etc. Granted it was pretending to all be somewhere in China when it was clearly Thailand (including the monks), so I'd prefer something that actually looked like the Hong Kong cinema of MK1, but I just want to feel like I'm stepping into an Asian myth when I see that dragon logo on screen, not a Hollywood action movie filmed in downtown Australia.

Even Conquest and Legacy made more efforts to look exotic than MK21 ever did.

Last edited: