What's new

Scorpion Vs Kitana strategy

This is a personal strategy of mine that I've been developing for the past few weeks. This is Scorpions hardest match-up IMO, and I hope it can help my fellow Scorpion players demolish Kitana players.

Space Control:
Scorpion is most effective from jump distance because he can control the air using Air to Air and Anti-Air set ups. Sadly, this isn't so practical against Kitana because she has better air control and doesn't need to rush down her opponent with jip's. If she connects an AA fan you'll eat 35%+ damage, so it would be wise not to jump. In this match-up you will want to stay full screen to duck fans to avoid chip damage and keep out of range of her F+2,1. Also, be aware that Kitana can easily build meter for an X-ray and its impossible to duck it.

Anti-Air:
Ducking fans will limit Kitana's zoning options. Having the life lead is crucial to dominating her. If you have the life lead she will only have a few choices. She can bulldog her way inside by dash blocking, but she still has to be weary of hellfire. If you switch stance to psyche her out and she jumps AA spear her. If she tries to cancel in the air with a fan you can delay the AA spear, but be weary of her positioning in the air because in some cases the fan might be low enough to connect. Also, she can use the Square Boost to effectively close distance, but it's a double-edged sword. Scorpion can D+1~Teleport the Square Boost, and it leads to a vortex set up. Pay close attention to Kitana's positioning. If she is outside of jump distance she will land behind you, so when shes dropping from the SB you D+1~Teleport - dash - 1,1,1~Spear. If she does a SB while your walking backward she will always land in front of you.

Getting Aggressive:
When Kitana is trying to rush you down it can work in your favor. Keep in mind that her grounded offense is pretty good, but her air combos are much more damaging. All Scorpion has to do is land a spear and it can shut her down if you have a good vortex. (EX) spear works well against a fan thrown from sweep or jump distance but might require good reaction time, and it can also shut down the much slower F+2,1 string.

The Wake-Up Game:
The most interesting thing about this match-up is Kitana's wake-up attacks, but more importanly how Scorpion can shut down her entire wake-up game. F+3 can shut down all of Kitana's wake-ups with the exception of the Fan Lift. On the other hand, Takedown can nullify ALL of her wake-ups. However, I recommend blocking the Fan Lift because its punishable with a spear, and a wake-up Square Boost can be punished with a spear by flipping the input. For example, if Scorpion is on the 1P side and Kitana is on the 2P side and she does a wake-up SB press F,F+1 and the controls will auto-correct and the spear will connect as she lands.

Down + 1
playing footsies with Kitana is frustrating. Her D+1 beats out all of your pokes except for D+4 at a distance. If she gets liberal with D+1 cross over jump kick~Air thorw. Kitana players like to abuse her D+1 anytime you get in footsies range so dont be afraid to slip in a B+2.

F+2,1 vs Spear
It seems that the preferred tactic from Kitana players when they can't land or chip you out with fans is to use F+2,1. This string is excellent because the range is ridiculous and it is a pop up that leads to 35%+ damage. F+2,1 can easily connect from jump distance, but the start up is 18 for F+2 and start up for the spear is 13 and you can take advantage of this. For example, if she is just outside of jump distance and throws a fan it brings her closer to you so she can sneak in a F+2,1. Your job is to duck the fan then immediately spear or ex spear. If you find your reaction time too slow use the input shortcut by ducking the fan with DB then pressing B+1.

I hope this helps you guys out with this match-up.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
good post, but one thing you have to be wary of is your use of AA spears. sometimes i'll jump at midrange and squareboost behind you (outside the range you can d1~teleport) to bait a spear, in which case i can throw an ex fan and cancel it into a full combo.

Luija1006

since 1995
Excellent post man! I always have problems against good Kitanas with my Scorp. Taking all this advice immediately.

VERY true! I get so salty against Kitana when I get blown up for missing an AA spear lol. Sometimes Scorpions Air Throw will beat out a Square Boost but it's not reliable because it only works 40% of the time. I need to find something immediately. Oh well back to the lab again.

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
Right on dude. Nice rendition of strategy against that bitch. One question I had though was the f+3 beating wake-up attacks. Does it beat cutter too? It always just seemed like cutter would beat everything that is considered standing. Does the f+3 go through it or something?

I ironically just posted some vids of me and 16 Bit playing in our stream last week in the Scorp guide, but I'll post them here as well just to kinda give an idea of what I like against Kitana myself. Hope it helps.

http://www.justin.tv/slipkicks/b/302199583

Yes F+3 does indeed go through the cutter at least 95% of the time. The fake out and pretty kicks can be countered with 1,1 or 3,3 spear. Also, if you stand in front of a wake-up square boost you can 3,3~teleport into vortex.

I used to dread having to face a good Kitana but then I stopped worrying about it and it's become one my easier matchups cause 9/10 of them are entirely predictable.

Likewise but she still can land one fan and get an UNBREAKABLE combo with a ridiculous amount of damage! That is why I feel like she is much worse than a Kung Lao or Cyrax.

Slips

Yes F+3 does indeed go through the cutter at least 95% of the time. The fake out and pretty kicks can be countered with 1,1 or 3,3 spear. Also, if you stand in front of a wake-up square boost you can 3,3~teleport into vortex.
Is there some sort of timing to this cause cutter was beating my f+3 more like 95% of the time lol. :p Cutter is probably the most used wake-up attack with Kitana, if f+3 isn't consistent I don't know if thats such a smart idea. d+4 seems to be much reliable and you won't have to worry about fan lift.

I practiced it against the computer and the wake-up is always perfect. The scenario was 1,1~spear - njp, B+2, jik~teleport - dash - 2,1~spear then I used F+3 against whatever wake-up the computer decided to give me (training mode sucks). Takedown or D+4~Takedown are better against the cutter IMO. if you try the F+3 and it connects you get free 3,3 pressure

BERGZERKER

RAGEQUITALITY
Hey Slips, I noticed in your video that you were going for a lower dmg BnB against Kitana. Was there any reason for that? Like, did it put you in a more advantageous position on wake up? I most of the time saw you end combos with a spear to have them right there at your feet for a bit of a mix up. I have been trying to learn scorpion recently and your videos have been a great help to me.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
It's a very good matchup analysis .... Scorpion is underrated, he was despised for a while, due his "noob friendly" gameplay, but, he seems to be a wild card in this game, hehe .....

Slips

Hey Slips, I noticed in your video that you were going for a lower dmg BnB against Kitana. Was there any reason for that? Like, did it put you in a more advantageous position on wake up? I most of the time saw you end combos with a spear to have them right there at your feet for a bit of a mix up. I have been trying to learn scorpion recently and your videos have been a great help to me.
Yea it allows me to continue pressure or put them in his 50/50 again. I usually go for just straight up damage if I feel it'll win the round. But glad you like th vids hope they are serving you well.

Saint

Noob
Right on dude. Nice rendition of strategy against that bitch. One question I had though was the f+3 beating wake-up attacks. Does it beat cutter too? It always just seemed like cutter would beat everything that is considered standing. Does the f+3 go through it or something?

I ironically just posted some vids of me and 16 Bit playing in our stream last week in the Scorp guide, but I'll post them here as well just to kinda give an idea of what I like against Kitana myself. Hope it helps.

I'm looking forward to see where this scorpion will be next evo, looks promising for sure

Faded Dreams V

Retired June 2012. Unretired June 2013.

That was legit gameplay. Why don't I see you in more tourneys, like SoCal Regionals? D:

Really want a Scorpion....or any new variety of characters in top 8s. ;_;

Slips

That was legit gameplay. Why don't I see you in more tourneys, like SoCal Regionals? D:

Really want a Scorpion....or any new variety of characters in top 8s. ;_;
Thanks dude. I'll probably be at Final Round. Its tough winning with Scorpion in tourney, sometimes you gotta hope and pray. He's much better in a ft5 set than a ft2...but I think its possible. :)

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
Thanks dude. I'll probably be at Final Round. Its tough winning with Scorpion in tourney, sometimes you gotta hope and pray. He's much better in a ft5 set than a ft2...but I think its possible. :)
Yeah thats the thing with scorpion. You really have to have a good read on the guy you're up against. If you don't know there blocking habbits and stuff it can really fuck you over.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
I realized that most high level players will block low at first during his vortex, assuming that Im gonna go for the F+4~spear, unless they're using Reptile. In that case they NEVER block low.

Red Djinn, it's ok to try to block overheads sometimes buddy.
Against most of the guys I play against I have to deal with them using low block first then transitioning to standing guard if they see the overhead. If I delay my attack after the jip it fucks them all up and it opens up more options like jailing into the 50 50. N ot everyone reacts to the vortex likee that though so figuring out block habbits asap is key if you want big damage.

Slips

Against most of the guys I play against I have to deal with them using low block first then transitioning to standing guard if they see the overhead. If I delay my attack after the jip it fucks them all up and it opens up more options like jailing into the 50 50. N ot everyone reacts to the vortex likee that though so figuring out block habbits asap is key if you want big damage.
Yup. Everyone thinks differently. As soon as your able to download their thought process, you can blow them up...its just a matter of how much damage you take in those 2 matches until you get that 'download complete' message. =P

Or do 1, 1, 2, 1+2~teleport.