What's new

Sad Kano :(

Although I am well aware that online and MK 9's netcode sucks (and that online play isn't the only determining factor of a decent fighting game), it's starting to make me want to pummel my game into the ground, especially as a Kano player!

Any Kano players notice how much button input delay affects Kano pressure? (I understand ALL players experience this, regardless of what characters they play. However, some get leniency *cough* Raiden, Reptile, Kung Lao *cough*).
Ex. #1
B1 1 2... for some reason if I try to dash and input this string, about 50 to 60% of the time he will low punch, making me lose my pressure or eat a combo. Sometimes, I won't even try the dash in, I'll pace myself and then input the string only to have him low punch. I've noticed this happens more with the D-Pad then the analog stick (crappy Xbox controller design[MAD][/MAD]) However, offline I can do B1 1 2 with my eyes closed...problem?

Ex. #2
2 1 2 whiffing...I'm sure every single Kano player who has ever tried to juggle a 2 1 2 online knows what I'm talking about....Kano has one of the harshest combo timings. If the opponent isn't exactly parallel with the ground when popped up, you are going to whiff this string....leading to a wake-up attack in your face, a throw, lost damage, etc..

Ex. #3
Punishing an open ended combo string from an opponent with an Up Ball. Despite Up Ball's nerfs, it still is an amazing move. HOWEVER, delay makes it somewhat unreliable to punish an otherwise easily punishable combo string from an opponent. Even teleports are hard to punish, although I can manage against a Raiden fairly well, I've had numerous scenarios where a Raiden uppercuts my Up Ball punish or a Kung Lao's kick gets priority with a teleport kick. Again, clearly due to input delay/netcoding.

Case and point: Kano players don't have it easy, and it's a shame ignorant players seem to think that Kano is, despite unjustified nerfs (Up Ball being more punishable is fine, the startup time and knife nerfs were ludicrous), a "brain-dead" character. Oh, and NetherRealms suck for having negative edge, button delay, and a crappy netcode...still.

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
Although I am well aware that online and MK 9's netcode sucks (and that online play isn't the only determining factor of a decent fighting game), it's starting to make me want to pummel my game into the ground, especially as a Kano player!

Any Kano players notice how much button input delay affects Kano pressure? (I understand ALL players experience this, regardless of what characters they play. However, some get leniency *cough* Raiden, Reptile, Kung Lao *cough*).
Ex. #1
B1 1 2... for some reason if I try to dash and input this string, about 50 to 60% of the time he will low punch, making me lose my pressure or eat a combo. Sometimes, I won't even try the dash in, I'll pace myself and then input the string only to have him low punch. I've noticed this happens more with the D-Pad then the analog stick (crappy Xbox controller design[MAD][/MAD]) However, offline I can do B1 1 2 with my eyes closed...problem?

Ex. #2
2 1 2 whiffing...I'm sure every single Kano player who has ever tried to juggle a 2 1 2 online knows what I'm talking about....Kano has one of the harshest combo timings. If the opponent isn't exactly parallel with the ground when popped up, you are going to whiff this string....leading to a wake-up attack in your face, a throw, lost damage, etc..

Ex. #3
Punishing an open ended combo string from an opponent with an Up Ball. Despite Up Ball's nerfs, it still is an amazing move. HOWEVER, delay makes it somewhat unreliable to punish an otherwise easily punishable combo string from an opponent. Even teleports are hard to punish, although I can manage against a Raiden fairly well, I've had numerous scenarios where a Raiden uppercuts my Up Ball punish or a Kung Lao's kick gets priority with a teleport kick. Again, clearly due to input delay/netcoding.

Case and point: Kano players don't have it easy, and it's a shame ignorant players seem to think that Kano is, despite unjustified nerfs (Up Ball being more punishable is fine, the startup time and knife nerfs were ludicrous), a "brain-dead" character. Oh, and NetherRealms suck for having negative edge, button delay, and a crappy netcode...still.
You just gotta keep practicing, Kanos normals are somewhat slower than others but that is because he controls space well (notice how all of his moves lunge forward?). Xbox controllers for this game are pretty bad, you might want to think about getting a stick. I understand that negative edge can be frustrating but it can definitely be overcome with a little bit of practice.

Your go to string is back 1,1,2. A lot of characters have moves that whiff overhead which means that they are not safe unless you force your opponent to stand I.E. jump in + 1 or 2.

Ex. #1
That is really true and annoying. It happens to me every time, not only with kano's b1 2, also with subz's b1 2 into 212. Makes me drop combos and punishes a lot.

You're right in a lot of things you say. But some of it I guarantee is the controller you're using, it really limits you. I use a Madcatz SF Fight Pad and can say I can Dash into his B112 string 100% of the time, and can even Dash into the B112, Dash B112, Stright Ball probably 75% of the time online. Just takes work and yeah you have to be super fast with your Dash into the 2nd B112.

You have to get a feel for how much a certain game is going to lag online to use his 212 to continue combos, and that only comes with EXP. I probably have over 4000 online matches with Kano so of course things will come easier with me then you, but give it time and you'll reap the benefits of him.

Also REO said I more then likely have the best Kano after we had a session today, I blushed. :p

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Former Owner
Premium Supporter
He has seriously got the strictest kombo timing of any character in the game which is retarded because it's not like his kombos are fantastic. Being nerfed while I'm praying that my 30% kombo won't drop for no reason is not fun. Online I never touch 2-1-2. Even in practice mode you've got to get it down to the frame. Offline there's no way.