What's new

Question - Kotal Kahn Rank Kotal's Variations from best to worst

Rank Kotal's three variations from most competitively viable to least competitively viable

• 1) War God, 2) Blood God, 3) Sun God

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • 1) War God, 2) Sun God, 3) Blood God

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • 1) Sun God, 2) War God, 3) Blood God

Votes: 19 19.8%
  • 1) Sun God, 2) Blood God, 3) War God

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • 1) Blood God, 2) Sun God, 3) War God

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • 1) Blood God, 2) War God, 3) Sun God

Votes: 10 10.4%

• Total voters

LeeVanDam

Sun God Advocate
I think that because Sun God's projectile game changes with the new pizza, it's enough to propel it to the top. Between the parry, power up, and soul scorch... being close up to gain meter is irrelevant now. You can and should almost always have a special pizza at the ready in case someone wants to throw a projectile.

If b+1,4 on hit > SGC stays, then you sort of have a fresh new take on his already amazing b+1 string (new metagame forces opponent to duck block the low kick, so it'd be really hard to armor through EX Sunstone on reaction if you choose b+1 > EX Sunstone for frame advantage). That's lots of extra damage once you're at level 3... you could really only take that sequence 3 times and the round's over.

Combined with how momentum based Sun God already is, I think it has the skills to really pay the bills now. War God's still the juice, and everyone already talked about how good Blood God is. I think the race is much tighter than it used to be.

Darth_Peachez

In the UK with a US PS4. Fuck me, right?
Wargod is definitely the best variation right now, he's got possibly the best armored attack in the game and does respectable meterless midscreen damage. Though I mostly play bloodgod just because it's fun to put up a defense totem and laugh when someone spends meter on a combo while i'm building it up, also the corner damage is so damn satisfying when it lands. But anyway bring on the beta I think sungod has some real good potential with his new projectile dissolving pizza and also the b14 grab on hit and block will be fun to use and and a world of pain for people who don't know the matchup and noobs alike.
I would have to disagree with you on that... WG with "Best armored attack in the game"? C'mon son. All the opponent has to do if they suspect it for wake up is to jump over it or if they block it you're getting completely bodied considering that EXOH sword is like -14 or some shit like on block. I will agree that WG has beautiful 50/50's but heavily dependant on meter for higher damage. And for SG post patch only the EXdb2 connects on hit from the b1 or the b14, and db2 connects off block.

Very match up dependent. War God vs Zoners because you need the extra range, Sun God vs Mix-up characters because you gain parry, decent projectile, and armored cmd grab, Blood God vs Pressure characters because it essentially about using defensive totems and being patient while they help you build bar with their rc combos.

Kotal_Wannabe

AKA AndyPandy
I would have to disagree with you on that... WG with "Best armored attack in the game"? C'mon son. All the opponent has to do if they suspect it for wake up is to jump over it or if they block it you're getting completely bodied considering that EXOH sword is like -14 or some shit like on block. I will agree that WG has beautiful 50/50's but heavily dependant on meter for higher damage. And for SG post patch only the EXdb2 connects on hit from the b1 or the b14, and db2 connects off block.
How often do you use a wakeup attack? I'm talking mostly about reversals. ExDb1 leads to high dmg combo, has great range and will sometimes catch people who try to cross you up, what's not good about it?

Last edited:

Generalbit

The blade of osh-tekk is stale.
How often do you use a wakeup attack? I'm talking mostly about reversals. ExDb1 leads to high dmg combo, has great range and will sometimes catch people who try to cross you up, what's not good about it?
1. It's punishable
2. They can jump through it
3. They can jump over it
4. It's slow
5. Gets beaten by other armors in the neutral

EDIT: It's not bad but by no means is it "amazing"

Darth_Peachez

I utilize both wakeups and reversals...Yes, it CAN lead to high damage... But if you're playing against someone who knows the matchup who can both bait and predict when it's coming you're pretty screwed. I just thought it was a reach when you said it was possibly the best armored attack in the game. You can't cancel it, nor does it give you an advantage on block, and an average character can beat out the armor on start up. Average armor, yes - best armor, not even close.

Kotal_Wannabe

AKA AndyPandy
I utilize both wakeups and reversals...Yes, it CAN lead to high damage... But if you're playing against someone who knows the matchup who can both bait and predict when it's coming you're pretty screwed. I just thought it was a reach when you said it was possibly the best armored attack in the game. You can't cancel it, nor does it give you an advantage on block, and an average character can beat out the armor on start up. Average armor, yes - best armor, not even close.
The only way they're going to predict it's coming is if you're being predictable. When they would normally block punish your reversal, why not run in and grab em instead, or run in and start your 114 air grab offense? I guarantee after you mix them up abit they'll think twice. Unsafe armor (when launcher) is something pretty much all character have to deal with.

1. It's punishable
2. They can jump through it
3. They can jump over it
4. It's slow
5. Gets beaten by other armors in the neutral

EDIT: It's not bad but by no means is it "amazing"
I think this is a case of the grass is greener... You're listing all the negatives, but you can't have everything if you're getting full combo out of it, I like armor to lead to full combo so it gets alot of extra brownie points from me for that. Only ones I can think of who have a safe armored launcher are Liu Kang (but costs two bars) and Tremor's Down krystal shatter. Probably tremor's launcher takes the top spot for just this reason, but Kotal's has the range, the arch and the surprise factor (from it being an overhead when people like blocking low) so yeh, I do rate it very highly, each to their own I guess...

Last edited:

Darth_Peachez

what happens if the opponent is good unlike who you've been playing and doesnt fall for the bait?
Parry tactics 101: Don't parry unless you make a hard read. You only parry if you have a good idea of the MU and also how your opponent plays.

The point I was making is that BG is a better choice in the GM matchup because of defensive opportunities. SG would completely get blown up against a good GM.

I have read that BG is good against pressure characters due to the obsidian totem.
I found it difficult to even place an obsidian totem under pressure especially when I was lying on the ground and couldn't wake up (needed to block safe strings on wake up and maybe..).

With SG at least I have armor to wake up which is at least gives chance to wake up safely (they try to bait it and I can get up or do more pressure and that's the same as with BG - or using armor).

I can agree that obsidian totem is huge just sux if the opponent can deny playing it. :)

What is your opinion about that?

(I play Sun God now as I like playing around the command grab - but I know and I experience the weaknesses of the character - that's it not S+ tier but fun.
so I am not a good BG player and I found it difficult to open up people and do the killing blow combos yet :) )

Last edited:

Darth_Peachez

I have read that BG is good against pressure characters due to the obsidian totem.
I found it difficult to even place an obsidian totem under pressure especially when I was lying on the ground and couldn't wake up (needed to block safe strings on wake up and maybe..).

With SG at least I have armor to wake up which is at least gives chance to wake up safely (they try to bait it and I can get up or do more pressure and that's the same as with BG - or using armor).

I can agree that obsidian totem is huge just sux if the opponent can deny playing it. :)

What is your opinion about that?
Sometimes you have to use the stage to your advantage, such as armored interactables and whatnot. Or your can d4xxdb2, use the hitstun to summon your totem, learn the gaps where you can poke out of it with d1, Kotal has one of, if not THE quickest poke in the game and it has GODLIKE reach. You just have to lab it up or find someone who's really good with a character you struggle against and just have some rounds with em.

Sometimes you have to use the stage to your advantage, such as armored interactables and whatnot. Or your can d4xxdb2, use the hitstun to summon your totem, learn the gaps where you can poke out of it with d1, Kotal has one of, if not THE quickest poke in the game and it has GODLIKE reach. You just have to lab it up or find someone who's really good with a character you struggle against and just have some rounds with em.
Yeah, these are good advises all of them, thank you (I dont like interactables at all ehh but I have to be friend with it).
6F poke is very good I use it a lot (SG likes it too :p).

I don't have enough BG experience so the full Kotal mentality is not in my vain yet but it will come with experience (eg. with GM the D4 clone is in my vain lol that's exactly the same input :D).
I try not to forget the totem. I will apply that D4 totem into my game starting today.

It is really not easy playing BG well.

Last edited: