What's new

Match-up Discussion Raiden vs Cage opinions

CLIFFNOTES: if you have a life dont read this, i think the cage matchup is even, because cage lacks solid zoning game to harass raiden with, and raiden can make cage chase him like the tail on a dog, and raiden can punish any attempted string with well read teleport even during the option select. This is a phenomonal matchup and it breaks down entirely into pure reads and footsies, and okie.

In my opinion this is a 5-5 matchup , i have extensive experience having played both sides of the matchup, and as a cage player im extremely good at timing out auto-corrects with d3 into f3 for cage in order to punish crossovers/teles, i utilize it a lot and the auto-corrected b3 is great, however it does not change the matchup very much, if the raiden player understands how to reverse this exploitation (by learning to counter-poke on hit/block causing the attempted f33 to actually come out on the wrong side for the cage player). First i'll discuss from Raiden's standpoint

A few things first, i don't see a lot of raiden players slowing down there game, RAIDEN is extremely tricky because you have to control you opponent to be able to amount offense, if you improperly read you opponents game, or dont get them to respect you than you can find yourself getting murdered and frustrated.... sometimes you have to speed it up and teleport a lot because you opponent stopped respecting it, sometimes teleporting is the WORST FUCKING IDEA EVER and you get punished and you fall too far behind in life and you become the shittiest character ever.

we need to not be getting hasty with b3s(most armored moves you can stop and block or teleport around (dont cancel into teleport ull get auto corrected by something stupid, your typically -7/8 in b312 meaning there are like no armored moves that your tele/block wont beat even if they are mashing ) if you block u can counter if they react and poke, or tele if u read astring (most people wont try to punish with string) ending your pressure with 334 and f24 put u at a premium footsie range. Keep you strings simple and sometimes just backdash straight after a d3, raiden loves to get jump in punched and get his game plan fucked up. you never have to aggress until you HAVE TO AGGRESS, getting them to play less patiently than you and aaing them for getting greedy will get you your life lead. YOU NEED THIS.

sometimes teleporting straight into block or just a backdask, the teleport doesnt always need to lead to a punish for you or offense. People will attempt to punish or poke your teleport and be late, if you just wait, or if you spaced properly you can take amazing advantage of this.
ALSO if you are reading a d1 or d3, DONT teleport, the active durations of a d3 is around 21 where a d1 is around 25 (typically) where your teleports ACTIVE duration is 29, meaning you WILL get poked out or auto-corrected or JUMPED over after sometimes...
instead mix up your game around this,TELEPORT after they poke on block or hit, and if they attempted to do a string you reversed them for sometimes a full punish or atleast a grab or pressure, also just COUNTER-poking is okay to, put them in poking situations, BLOCK a lot. ANYTIME u read they are going to do a string instead of a poke, aka overaggressing (this applies extremely well in the cage matchup)teleport to reversal it. Then your opponent starts baiting teleports and occasionally you can punish them for getting to hasty with an ex-teleport (which also blows up the option select) or you can instead find ways to amount offense. AS always don't patternize unless you can change your pattern at the right time to punish your opponent. Raiden creates a ton of reading situations in this sense. you cant afford to get punished or you have to start rushing down too much and then you lose.

GRAB A LOT raiden needs the life lead, it puts the pressure on also and is a guaranteed punish(barring abreak) in a lot of situations where you might get a block string. Against Cage specifically you dont want to be behind at all. When you keep it close or you finally find an opportunity to get the lead, u can burn cage for trying to pressure aggressively and exhaust him for trying to get it.
When players are moving forward/jumping (superman works sometimes but dont fuck up), the teleport will space them out because it becomes active at the beginning of their dash and they move forward during its durating. THIS huge in the cage matchup, you can use this tactic (PATIENTLY, good cages will bait you, dont get read) to milk the clock once you get your life lead and get him to press too hard and PUNISH HIS ASS. you have b3 at your disposal, and f24 is a pretty decent throw it out there string(not an aggression string, u out footsie cage. d3 into grab is your friend, same with f24 after apoke, good spacing.

As far as CAGE goes its very similar, don't over aggress, bait and punish the teleport, b3 stops jumps after tele. Patiently wait for you opportunity to get in so you do not get punished. Eventually you win if u start exchanging blows. However, a good raiden can run away quite some time.

NKZero

Noob
I agree this is a 5-5 as well... only really because Cage cannot continue consistent pressure against Raiden. It's a matter of mind games and good reads. Also Raiden can do a decent job of zoning Cage out. I agree and nice write-up.

GhosT

Noob
As far as CAGE goes its very similar, don't over aggress, bait and punish the teleport, b3 stops jumps after tele. Patiently wait for you opportunity to get in so you do not get punished. Eventually you win if u start exchanging blows. However, a good raiden can run away quite some time.
I think your right pecka, Good raidens can play it right and do well.

P.S i think me vs you on madden is like 8-2 MU in my favor. :D

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
I have always thought this MU was probably 6-4 Cage. Raiden can escape Cage pressure, but the b3/f3 "accidental option select" really hurts Raiden a ton in this matchup. Can Cage ex nut punch in the middle of b312? I am really no expert in the match up, but whenever I play Raiden's I usually head to Cage on the select screen rather than Smoke. Not always though because I don't mind fighting him with either character.

B W1zZ

Noob
It's nice to see that theres someone other than myself that understands the Raiden Cage matchup (get the fuck out of here with the 7-3 cages favor nonsense people).

I find my main strategy in this matchup is to play footsies and hold down the life lead while making cage make mistakes as he's trying to get in and pressure. Whiff punishing with B3(12) comes in handy along with throwing out vicinity blasts to keep cage honest as he's trying to get in, combined with block dashing and proper use of Raidens projectile.

Counter pokes, footsies, fundamentals, reads, CALCULATED teleports, nut punch baits etc are all essential in this matchup.

I could go way more in depth but I felt this could be summarized in a few words.

LaR

Noob
Cage has the advantage. Raiden can not interrupt f33b3 or 21f2 and that's all he needs to use to beat raiden he aslso punishes the teleport easily and has the threat of ex nutpuch which interrupts Raidens b31 and 33.

B W1zZ

Noob
Cage has the advantage. Raiden can not interrupt f33b3 or 21f2 and that's all he needs to use to beat raiden he aslso punishes the teleport easily and has the threat of ex nutpuch which interrupts Raidens b31 and 33.
A blocked or whiffed ex nutpunch equals a full combo for Raiden, and it's not like Raiden has to use B312 or 334 to pressure. Let us not forget 1212, F23, F24 etc.

Ive heard similar logic of sektor beating raiden because he can interrupt B312 or 334 with 12B1, but this alone does not make the matchup advantageous. The logic of "this character beats raiden because they can interrupt his strings" is extremely exaggerated.

If cage throws out a F3 or F33 raiden can stop a follow up with 6 frame D1, en shocker, or en superman...or by teleporting out assuming its done based on read where an autocorrect F3 is unlikely, not to mention there is en teleport in this situation.

In short cage beats Raiden's that don't know the matchup. One that does, however is a completely different story.

LaR

Noob
A blocked or whiffed ex nutpunch equals a full combo for Raiden, and it's not like Raiden has to use B312 or 334 to pressure. Let us not forget 1212, F23, F24 etc.

Ive heard similar logic of sektor beating raiden because he can interrupt B312 or 334 with 12B1, but this alone does not make the matchup advantageous. The logic of "this character beats raiden because they can interrupt his strings" is extremely exaggerated.

If cage throws out a F3 or F33 raiden can stop a follow up with 6 frame D1, en shocker, or en superman...or by teleporting out assuming its done based on read where an autocorrect F3 is unlikely, not to mention there is en teleport in this situation.

In short cage beats Raiden's that don't know the matchup. One that does, however is a completely different story.
Johnny Cage never has to use ex nutpunch the fact that he has it means that Raiden alway has to think twice about finishing his main strings.

But thats not the main reason why i think it bad for Raiden. Cage's f33b3 is much better than any of Raiden strings the only time this is even or advantage Raiden is when the cage player think they can constantly do frame traps and stagger strings. when cage plays solid and does not try do his bullshit that he gets away with against most characters cage wins.

B W1zZ

Noob
The only problem is cage needs to get in to get F33B3 started. If he whiffs the F3, full combo punish. If the full string is blocked cage is no longer in his face and has to worry about getting in again and Raiden can capitalize on him trying to. Anyways I don't really see a point in arguing this matchup, this is about as even as it gets, and from what I understand Dizzy, being a cage player himself, would agree.

LaR

Noob
The only problem is cage needs to get in to get F33B3 started. If he whiffs the F3, full combo punish. If the full string is blocked cage is no longer in his face and has to worry about getting in again and Raiden can capitalize on him trying to. Anyways I don't really see a point in arguing this matchup, this is about as even as it gets, and from what I understand Dizzy, being a cage player himself, would agree.
You could say the same about Raiden wiffing. Cages f3 beats Raiden f2 and and b3 every time and i don't see how landing his f3 string is a problem its 9f hits mid and has good range yes you can tele to make it wiff but you cant do this on reaction. plus if that's not enough he has a lot of setups to bait and punish the tele. you know this match is not good when are force to make cage wiff but if Raiden wins by making Cage wiff that is just Raiden outplaying Cage.

I got it 6 4 cage still, raiden does have alot of tools to make this mu very manageable though. The things I believe that give cage that slight advantage or his ex nut punch to interrupt strings, b3 option select, and a blocked ex forceball to bait out the tele. Raiden's ex tele does help him out in this match alot and his grab can be used to help out as well. B3 has great distance, so cage must be aware of this. Raiden's f2, 4 is good as well to help him out in this mu.