What's new

Strategy - Raiden Raiden players need an attitude adjustment!

BigMilk

Former Divine Power Abuser
This thread isn't what it seems. The intention for this thread is to brainstorm/test strategies and setups to return Raiden to the forefront. THIS IS NOT A THREAD TO COMPLAIN ABOUT TOOLS THAT WERE CHANGED, SUGGEST BUFFS or DOWNPLAY. It's strictly for progressing the character, and the Raiden community and anyone else knowledgeable of the character are welcome to contribute.
The first thing I would like to focus on is covering some of Raiden's holes. IMO Raiden suffers from being low profiled heavily. Most of his approaches are vulnerable to it. MB thunderbolt has been explored a little for making 50/50s safer but was irrelevant while OS remained but now would be a good time to look back into, it as well as covering approaches, if possible.

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
If you're a Raiden player and you have never played Displacer, I'd advise to at least go to the lab with him for a bit. Raiden's teleport is quite good in my opinion. Far teleport is a pretty safe option in the neutral and you can get a keep away game going with it (when someone runs up to you to start their pressure, you can teleport right away on reaction, leaving you half-screen away from them while they have little stamina left).

Displacer and MoS also get pretty good damage. 32% meterless punisher, BnB's in the high 30's for a bar off of B33 and F12B2 and 40's in the corner (TG has the corner game as well, but Displacer and MoS have quite alright midscreen damage as well).

As for dealing with the low profiles, know that F22+4xxTeleport into B11 is a near-frame trap. In general I feel F22+4 is Raiden's answer to low profiles. I'll have to experiment with it to see how useful it is in practice.

SonicNinja3532

The Wannabe Prodigy
Displacer and MoS have quite alright midscreen damage as well.
Just a quick note to this specific section, Raiden has higher damage midscreen in Displacer and MoS compared to TG. A 12 frame high and 10 frame high for 42 percent 1 bar, which is the highest he can get midscreen

BigMilk

If you're a Raiden player and you have never played Displacer, I'd advise to at least go to the lab with him for a bit. Raiden's teleport is quite good in my opinion. Far teleport is a pretty safe option in the neutral and you can get a keep away game going with it (when someone runs up to you to start their pressure, you can teleport right away on reaction, leaving you half-screen away from them while they have little stamina left).

Displacer and MoS also get pretty good damage. 32% meterless punisher, BnB's in the high 30's for a bar off of B33 and F12B2 and 40's in the corner (TG has the corner game as well, but Displacer and MoS have quite alright midscreen damage as well).

As for dealing with the low profiles, know that F22+4xxTeleport into B11 is a near-frame trap. In general I feel F22+4 is Raiden's answer to low profiles. I'll have to experiment with it to see how useful it is in practice.
IMO it's his best variation. I thought he was easily the best version before Raiden received the stealth dmg nerf(compatibility of f12b2, b2 etc)

Gustavness

The Tech Whisperer
IMO it's his best variation. I thought he was easily the best version before Raiden received the stealth dmg nerf(compatibility of f12b2, b2 etc)
It is his best variation. The only thing thunder god really has over Displacer is his ability to convert good damage off of his low starter easily. It doesnt make up for the fact that Displacer cannot be contained, pressured, or cornered if he has a bar and does not want to be.

I am thinking of making a tech video of some things i have discovered similar to my Sorcerer vids, but based on my previous experience of trying to help the community i may just stick to lurking.

Tokiwartoothxdk

『T R I G G E R E D』
remove the gap in f12b2 for MoS and displacer, its not like the string is plus on block or anything. MoS needs something done with the orbs. Something like better combo ability/less scaling after the orbs connect, safe ways of getting them out or making to low orbs mid hiting instead of high

BigMilk

remove the gap in f12b2 for MoS and displacer, its not like the string is plus on block or anything. MoS needs something done with the orbs. Something like better combo ability/less scaling after the orbs connect, safe ways of getting them out or making to low orbs mid hiting instead of high
Not an "ask for buffs" thread. We are trying to figure out how to cover Raiden's weaknesses with what we have already.
@Gustavness anything informative would be deeply appreciated.

HuttonMD

ADM Riddles

I didn't know f2+24 tele b11 was a frame trap thanks for the info.

I just started playing displacer but when I first started playing him I knew low profiling was a weakness of his and started messing around with f22+4 and it definitely a good answer since it has decent forward movement so if you space yourself properly it can get you in and its +2 on block

HuttonMD

ADM Riddles
Just a quick note to this specific section, Raiden has higher damage midscreen in Displacer and MoS compared to TG. A 12 frame high and 10 frame high for 42 percent 1 bar, which is the highest he can get midscreen
I posted this in the combo thread but I'll share here as well. Midscreen is for displacer and the corner could be used for all variations I think.

Midscreen
214 extele 34 f22+4 f12b2 superman 39%

If you wanna use two bars do
214 extele 34 f22+4 f12b2 exshocker b14 superman 48% (I'm pretty sure it was 48% if not its within one or two %)

Corner: b33 exshocker b2 214 superman 38%

The corner one is good for displacer just for good damage I'm not sure if TG cab get more off of low because I haven't played that variation much

Vaiist

Noob
If you wanna use two bars do
214 extele 34 f22+4 f12b2 exshocker b14 superman 48% (I'm pretty sure it was 48% if not its within one or two %)

Corner: b33 exshocker b2 214 superman 38%

The corner one is good for displacer just for good damage I'm not sure if TG cab get more off of low because I haven't played that variation much
I'm a big fan of going for grabs after a b14. As Displacer, any time you end a combo in b14, instead of going for a superman you cancel into a behind teleport and get a pretty reliable grab setup. So in the first combo, instead of doing 48%, you get about 44% (I believe) with a very high probability of getting an additional 12%. The only time this doesn't work for me is if I've been doing a set with somebody all night and they eventually predict it and start going for the tech. As it is, it kinda comes out of nowhere and it's not something people are expecting to have to deal with.

In the corner, as any variant, I like to end with b14xxdb1. Db1 leaves you at +9, so you're in a perfect position for the 10 frame grab or even a 50/50 (b2 and b3 are 13 frames). So my version of your corner low starter would be b33xxEXdf2 b2 b14xxdb1 for 35%. Now you have them in a standing reset and in a perfect position for the 50/50 or grab.

Until your opponent starts to really adapt to the matchup, we're looking at 56% and 47% combos there.

HuttonMD

ADM Riddles
@Vaiist

Thanks for the tips. I just started playing displacer so I'm still learning all the frames and different ways to mix up my combos. I definitely like the idea of ending the corner with db1 being +9 standing.

HuttonMD

ADM Riddles
What are good block strings or pressure setup for displacer? What is the best way to utilize the teleport in those situations?

Vaiist

Noob
@Vaiist

Thanks for the tips. I just started playing displacer so I'm still learning all the frames and different ways to mix up my combos. I definitely like the idea of ending the corner with db1 being +9 standing.
Just keep in mind that the setup takes a little bit more precision that it would seem at first. Your db1 might get blocked if you don't time it right. The recovery on b14 depends what height they're falling from, so you have to find the rhythm for each setup so that the db1 remains part of the combo. If you hit them at a point where they recover too early from b14 the db1 can be blocked.

It just comes with practice.

HuttonMD

ADM Riddles
Just keep in mind that the setup takes a little bit more precision that it would seem at first. Your db1 might get blocked if you don't time it right. The recovery on b14 depends what height they're falling from, so you have to find the rhythm for each setup so that the db1 remains part of the combo. If you hit them at a point where they recover too early from b14 the db1 can be blocked.

It just comes with practice.
Ok im gonna work on it later when I get on. Are you on xbox? If so add me XXxR1ddleMeTh1s and that goes for anyone who reads this just add me on xbox I'm always looking for ppl to play