What's new

Strategy - Sub-Zero Predator V Sub Zero - MKX's First Death

Status
Not open for further replies.

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
Hey. When the game first came out (first week) I thought Unbreakable was the best variation for sub zero, as on paper it looked like this:

1. Takes no chip damage
2. Reduces all opponents damage by 13-25%, dropping 40% characters for a bar to 27%
3. Has a 50/50
4. Gains a 6 frame parry for no meter

At the beginning of the game, this has potential to work, but as we developed in the community along with the recent patches and no attention to Sub Zero, this no longer works and is arguably the worst variation in the game (next to Metallic). The inclusion of Predator not only buries Unbreakable, but it also ruins Grand Master, making this character redundant already and in only a few months of the games life. Here are my thoughts on this.

Part 1: Unbreakable

Part 2: Grand Master / Cryomancer

In my opinion, Sub Zero is dead, as Predator is in better in every way.

Unless Sub Zero is totally overhauled in the next patch on all three variations, he will be the first character to die as we inevitably push towards competitively killing off the cast except for the same top 3-5 characters at every event and the game suffers the same fate every single fighting game does, although MKX has the best chance of any game I've played yet, it has been solely down to the investment of the NRS staff as they try to keep their ear to the ground, hopefully they don't take the foot off the pedal just yet and don't listen to the "Sub Zero is fine" propaganda that everyone is buying currently, as this game is close to being a perfectly rounded game, and I hope they know it.

Every character should be viable, the variation system should work.

Attachments

Although predator isnt super OP, I think hes gonna have a few nerfs, and I also foresee unbreakable and maybe cryo being buffed, I dont think any fundamental moves should change because then GM would be buffed

Relaxedstate

PTH|RM Relaxedstate
Relax

Just play predator
I am :)

His zoning is easily the best in the game right now and probably 7-3/8-2 sub, though I think boneshaper shinnok is worse for subby.

I can forsee with proper execution this predator variation could easily be a top 5

Edit: But I don't think subby is dead in the whole game because of a few really bad MUs.

Last edited:
I am :)

His zoning is easily the best in the game right now and probably 7-3/8-2 sub, though I think boneshaper shinnok is worse for subby.

I can forsee with proper execution this predator variation could easily be a top 5

Edit: But I don't think subby is dead in the whole game because of a few really bad MUs.
Bone Shaper Shinnok and Predator Hish-Qu-Ten probably beat SZ 7-3 or 8-2. Its one of the worst match ups in the game. I agree that SZ isnt dead yet though, not until the characters that crush him become the must common characters selected in tournament.

But Glue's point isn't that he feels SZ is dead because anything mu wise. He's is saying that for every reason you have to pick SZ. Predator does the same thing only much better, which is true. Predator is a better SZ.. Not only can he do what SZ does, he also does his own thing which makes him a far better character with similar attributes.

UsedForGlue

But Glue's point isn't that he feels SZ is dead because anything mu wise. He's is saying that for every reason you have to pick SZ. Predator does the same thing only much better, which is true. Predator is a better SZ.. Not only can he do what SZ does, he also does his own thing which makes him a far better character with similar attributes.
Exactly.

My point is, as a character design goes, Predator is a better version of Sub Zero.

Relaxedstate

PTH|RM Relaxedstate
Exactly.

My point is, as a character design goes, Predator is a better version of Sub Zero.
Yeah that is a good point. Zod basically replaced Cyborg (a character with many losing/even MUs that also received no substantial buffs). Cyborg was just an injustice novelty.

I am hoping that subzero gets some buffs in the next patch. Predators HQT zoning variation could be toned down just a hair (like a few extra frames of recovery on his instant air discs). But over all I think it will fit in if the right characters get the appropriate buffs

UsedForGlue

Yeah that is a good point. Zod basically replaced Cyborg (a character with many losing/even MUs that also received no substantial buffs). Cyborg was just an injustice novelty.

I am hoping that subzero gets some buffs in the next patch. Predators HQT zoning variation could be toned down just a hair (like a few extra frames of recovery on his instant air discs). But over all I think it will fit in if the right characters get the appropriate buffs
I assume Predator will get his damage from a MB Slam reduced, and his Hish low close and mid projectile will get the hit advantage reduced.

Ryncage

Noob
Just my opinion guys.

There are other characters in the game with similar styles that are not worth using over the other, this is just one of them.
And that makes it okay?

It would be one thing is this was a game about counterpicks, but it isnt. In large the majority of the cast stands a chance in competative play against eachother. But there is still a lot of room for improvement, and if you can sit down and say "this character is basically a functional, and uncrippled version of X" there was as serious balancing miss step that took place. And it needs to be addressed
Nrs shouldt aspire to make their game a moba, Paying for a more powerul version of your main with each dlc.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Every character should be viable, the variation system should work.
Unless that character is apparently Tremor.

I ought to create a thread exposing the hypocrites in this community who promote the "shut up and allow the game to develop" mentality unless they perceive their primary character to be "dead" or "invalidated" by another, in which case NRS must patch the game at a moment's notice.

Also, this thread masquerades as another anti-zoning and anti-Hish-Qu-Ten Predator thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.