What's new

General/Other - Predator Predator General Discussion Thread

Tim Static

Adminerator
Predator is out in some parts of the world, so let's begin shall we??

This is where we discuss all things Predator not related to any specific variation.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
I think Predator is the kind of character I was looking for. His staff strings and d(whatever #) have great range. It looks like his NJP and d2 are great. Reducing or just completely negating chip matches exactly what I plan on doing with the character. Who's ready for Timer scam wins? lol. That mixed with his ex lunge having armor and launching plus being able to put out lex traps he might have one of the best neutral if you can make good reads and have nice reactions.

I'll probably use the trap variation the most. I'm thinking about max juggle limit combos in the corner and end with trap and just let them fall. If delay wakeup doesn't activate it then that's automatic armor break if you can time your normals right. In some matchups I can see that heal being used quite a bit. Being able to eat one more special move could mean the win.

The HQT variation might be fun if it gives me a sort of Deathstroke feel. I think the laser shot and laser aim are two different moves. It says he gains 2 moves at the variation select and they only showed those 2 things. I'm thinking these might lead to some risky 50/50s if you can condition the opponent correctly. The combos with laser seemed cool for not only corner damage but wall carry also. (Shoutouts to @SaltShaker for pointing that out in a different thread,) These is probably the least WOW-ing variation imo.

The warrior variation is the least intriguing to me gameplay wise besides the self destruct move. I think the self destruct is where Predator's damage is going to max out with. Having a raw overhead special and a mid special that both lead to combos when EXed definitely gives a offensive taste. These tools coupled with reduced chip and disc traps might make him an offensive character who can easily regain the upper hand in the neutral position.

Honestly it feels like they made a slightly different but in some ways better sub zero. All variations can negate chip with meter, use tracking traps and have an armored lunge that can combo and switch sides when needed. Hunter's traps might be a better clone and if so I wonder if that'll get a nerf. Have to confirm if they go away on block. Both sub zero and Predator have an ex trap that wouldn't really be used on block. Unless Predator's is safe Kappa. The possible 50/50s remind me of cryomancer. I'm sure there are places you would use Sub zero and not Predator, he is just the character that came to mind when I saw what Predator had.

I'm super hyped and finished typing this up in the pre-release thread but it got closed. Don't want to feel like it's wasted. Is it ok for it to go here?

EDIT: Just wanted to say this is ALL SPECULATION. I'm just watching the kombast kast a few times and decided to write up my initial thoughts. I'm also on PC so I have the wonderful privilege of watching everyone play him before me for an undisclosed amount of time. . . .

Last edited:

MadeOfMetal

Kenshi Srubtastic,Cyrax, Special Forces Mains
Im On PS4 and from what i herd in Europe Predator will be released today on XB1 so my request would be: can any of the faithful TYM'ers post Frame Data of all 3 variants if at all possible, and could you post some pics of it or footage of gameplay. don't know if the XB1 has a record feature like the PS4 maybe somone could enlighten me on that as well...

anyways from what i seen it seems like all 3 variations are mixup viable. just really depends on your style, u like zoning(Hish Qu Ten), being just out of poke range(Hunter), or brawler(Warrior) in their face making them guess.

i like them all from what ive seen. hunter is more my style, but i have a feeling warrior self destruct will be fun, and cannon blast out of nowhere with disks up will also be nice pressure. i honestly can't decide, and from what i seen all 3 had decent damage, but who knows which ones can hit 30% without meter for that second round?

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.
Predator might be the substitute for Subz I've been looking for. Hope he is extremely OP and stays the way just to piss off everyone who cried about subz week one into the game lol.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
I created a list of things I want to try out with Predator. However I'm on PC so I don't know when I'll be able to play with him. Would anyone out there be willing to hop in the lab and test things for me? If so should I just post my list in here or link to a document so it's not taking up too much of the thread?

Not yet, but this is the first thing I thought of after seeing how the discs worked. BTW... Are they in the variation with his OH, because if so :DOGE
Discs are in all variations. That, cloak and stabbing lunge are in all variations.

EDIT: I figured out how to link my google document. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tFk4cKWCV83j6a9Xx7do0qSl-XQV1enl5LGIsRJ850w/edit?usp=sharing

Last edited:

MadeOfMetal

Kenshi Srubtastic,Cyrax, Special Forces Mains
I created a list of things I want to try out with Predator. However I'm on PC so I don't know when I'll be able to play with him. Would anyone out there be willing to hop in the lab and test things for me? If so should I just post my list in here or link to a document so it's not taking up too much of the thread?

Discs are in all variations. That, cloak and stabbing lunge are in all variations.

EDIT: I figured out how to link my google document. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tFk4cKWCV83j6a9Xx7do0qSl-XQV1enl5LGIsRJ850w/edit?usp=sharing
doing the good work sir

Guys i main only jax and i waited for predator for so long, which variation will suite my gameplay(jax hw) i am on oc unfortunetly...

yugzilla

Noob
Should have had a self detonation fatality.
this is actually one of his brutality in the warrior only variation.

Also in the warrior variation, if you activate the self destruct while in stealth then your body does not show any of the shock waves on your body, this could be useful but most likely not but i thought i should put it out there

FinalBoss_FGC

Day -4MONTHS Dual Jin main
Still can't download him. Its not even showing it as an option on PlayStation store. Yes I have Kombat Pack.

yugzilla

Noob
Predator's self destruct move in the warrior variation is blockable. the move is unblockable on yourself but blockable for your opponent.