What's new

PR Balrog gives us his thoughts on INJUSTICE, patches and does he agree with Filipino Champ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
Since the Mortal Kombat scene has been making a splash in the tournament scene over, especially, the last few years we now have our "top players". Slowly but surely as Injustice got closer and closer to release NetherRealm Studios had their game on display at several locations for players to test out. It started to really attract other players from other fighting game communities, especially Street Fighter and Marvel players. At this point is when people started asking the question... "who would win?"

With this being said, we got word that the reputable Marvel/Street Fighter player, PR Balrog began having an interest in Injustice: Gods Among Us so we decided to reach out to him and ask a few questions. We talk Injustice, how much he trains, how often a game should be patched, does he agree with that Filipino Champ said back in March and much more.

prbalrog.jpg

Q. Considering that Injustice: Gods Among Us has done its job to appeal to the broader FGC... is it a game that you plan to honestly pick up and play like you do Marvel or too soon to tell or you're straight up not sure?

A- It depends on how the game will turn out for me. The game's zoning is really strong and that's something I don't like but if the game turns out fun for me then I have to say yes I'll play it like Marvel.

Q. What all characters appeal to you most after the latest patch (I read about you discussing changes with CD Jr via twitter) and why?

A- I honestly don't know anything about the patch, I like top tiers so I can't really say anything but Aquaman haha.

Q. What essentially turned you on to Injustice? Was it just the fact that it's a DC Universe game based off of characters like Batman and Superman or was it moments like REO resetting Tom Brady at ECT5 with an interactable? (a very hype moment btw!)

A- ECT opened my eyes to the game, I saw tournament play and I liked it so I decided to try it out. I did not see the grand final because I was playing on the side SFxT so I couldn't see what happened.

Q. Concerning NetherRealm Studios... do you have any gripes with how they develop their games, whether its mechanics or game-play? How do you personally feel they did with Injustice and trying to implement any and all FGC feedback in to their game?

A- I don't have any gripes because I used to play MK and I actually enjoyed playing it until they started patching the game every month which it was my only problem with them. I think you should patch a game every 6 or 7 months to let the game evolve, but game-play wise aside from the zoning being too strong on Injustice I'm pretty happy on how the game plays, at least to me it's exciting.

Q. Do you agree or disagree with any patch changes or how soon it was done?

A- Like I said I feel that you should leave a game how it is at least for 6 or 7 months. I didn't play the game before the patch so I can't comment on it.

Q. Regarding your training routine for tournaments... would you mind walking us through what you do to train for a tournament. How many hours do you feel is necessary to put in a week to train at a professional level?

A- Before a big tournament I practice 8-10 hours a day (yes a lot), practicing setups, combos, situations and writing them down so whenever it happens again and I forget then I just go to my little notepad and read it again to get it on my head. To get into a pro level I think that everything takes hard work so I would tell people that you have to play your 8 hours of the day.

Q. Can we look forward to seeing you competing in Injustice at any upcoming tournaments like UFGT9, CEO 2013 or EVO 2013?

prb.jpg

A- Yes I'll be entering Injustice at CEO 2013 and EVO 2013 but don't expect much I'm really bad still at the game. But if you all see hopefully people will cheer for me.

Q. Do you agree with Filipino Champ in that if you guys played "our game" like Mortal Kombat, that we wouldn't stand a chance?

"Let me call out the MK community: The only reason they're winning, is because the REAL players aren't playing Mortal Kombat. If Alex, Me, Ricky, Justin were playing Mortal Kombat, none of them would ever win. So Mortal Kombat community, if you guys want to beat us, the Capcom fighters, let's all play Injustice and let's see if you guys are gonna win, okay? Because everybody know their champion Perfect Legend, he doesn't win our games, he only wins Mortal Kombat, but when he crosses over to the other games, no chance. So I'm calling out all you guys out there, the reason why you guys play the other games, is because the skill level is lower, you can't play the harder games, so let's all play Injustice, let's all be competitive, and you know, I'll see you guys at the next tournament."
- Filipino Champ

A. I don't agree with Ryan "Filipino Champ" with this but I can assure the only reason why we would beat them is because we would practice the game more than them and we have more experience and can pick up any fighting game easier than other people.

Image via SRK Facebook

What do you think of PR Balrog's replies?

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
good interview .... anyway, what counts more it's results, so, let's so how this dude does in IGAU

If NRS continues to patch this game monthly for the next 3 or 4 months like they did MK9, numbers will sky rocket down.

I wish they can just hold off for 6 months, and those 3 or 4 patches they plan on doing (if they are), to make it all those changes in one universal patch 6 months from now.

Constant changes throw players off, and is a nuisance.

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
Nice interview Storms. I'm glad he is interested in the game. If more top players from other communities continue to pick it up others will take notice. Then some stream monsters will pick the game up. It's a win win. I couldn't agree more about the patching. I think the first patch was too soon for Injustice. I've stated several times they should only be concerned about fixing bugs/glitches/infinites right now. A lot of people dropped MK9 because of patches and we're heading down that same dusty trail.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
There's probably 6 more patches coming.

LOLNRS LOWL
Hmm, we could solve all these problems with reasonable, fair patches after letting the game develop a good sense of its meta...

nopenerfeveryonetokanolulz

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Isn't that pretty much agreeing with what FChamp said?
Not entirely. He's saying that they would win due to practicing MORE than MK players, and that their experience in tournament settings is far greater, which is a true statement for a majority of even top MK players.

In a much easier way to put it, he feels we're just as good of FG players, and that to beat us they'd have to go in as hard body as they would for their respective games. These guys put in at least close to half a day practicing.

He's really giving us props.

Shark Tank

I don't actually play these games
Not entirely. He's saying that they would win due to practicing MORE than MK players, and that their experience in tournament settings is far greater, which is a true statement for a majority of even top MK players.
Yes, he definetly has a point. He's not really blowing anyone up about it either or being a douche. It's a fair statement.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Example: Chris Geezus
Chris G is such a huge exception to what Rog is saying, it's not even funny. The guy is naturally good at video games in general. Like "I don't even have to really practice" good. It defies any logic lol.

Even FChamp has admitted that his natural talent doesn't compare and he has to practice as much as he does to compete at that level.

Status
Not open for further replies.