What's new

Possible New Tech

Bildslash

Goro Lives 
The best way for scorpion to build meter is by inflicting block damage, especially since scorpion is better up close. whiffing air throws is something smoke does better, he builds way more meter compared to scorpion, and even some smoke players arent really fond of this way of building meter for some reason.
Sorry, but I'm afraid to tell you're wrong. Both Smoke and Scorpion build the same amount of meter of an Air-Throw.

I decided to check all Air-Throw characters and the results are as follows:

Scorpion - builds 1.96 ~ 2% of meter; requieres 17 uses to build 1 bar.
Smoke - builds 1.96 ~ 2% of meter; requieres 17 uses to build 1 bar.
Sonya - builds 1.96 ~ 2% of meter; requieres 17 uses to build 1 bar.
Kano - builds 1.23% of meter; requieres 27 uses to build 1 bar.
Jax - builds 1.23% of meter; requieres 27 uses to build 1 bar.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Interesting, but still a simple question.

By jumping to whiff Throws in order to build meter wouldn't this leave Scorpion opening to Counter while he tries to land?

Kedra

Noob
Yeah, good thing Eddy Wang mentioned it.
You can block after landing a whiffed air throw.

I suggest after whiffing an air throw, whiff a D+3.
Only if the opponent decides to punish you from afar.

Sorry, but I'm afraid to tell you're wrong. Both Smoke and Scorpion build the same amount of meter of an Air-Throw.

I decided to check all Air-Throw characters and the results are as follows:

Scorpion - builds 1.96 ~ 2% of meter; requieres 17 uses to build 1 bar.
Smoke - builds 1.96 ~ 2% of meter; requieres 17 uses to build 1 bar.
Sonya - builds 1.96 ~ 2% of meter; requieres 17 uses to build 1 bar.
Kano - builds 1.23% of meter; requieres 27 uses to build 1 bar.
Jax - builds 1.23% of meter; requieres 27 uses to build 1 bar.
Serious? I could have sworn smokes whiffe sair throw builds more meter. maybe it changed since the last patch. But it still isnt best way for scorpion to build meter.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
I like to whiff spear and guess wrong in the vortex for meter, by the time I'm done getting punished I usually have a bar or 2.

Seriously though his best meter building options are from pressure. Whiffing air throw really isn't worth the risk considering it builds hardly any meter and leaves you vulnerable for the rest of the time in the air. Just get in with that 1 pressure and his new takedown and you'll have meter in no time.

I like to whiff spear and guess wrong in the vortex for meter, by the time I'm done getting punished I usually have a bar or 2.

Seriously though his best meter building options are from pressure. Whiffing air throw really isn't worth the risk considering it builds hardly any meter and leaves you vulnerable for the rest of the time in the air. Just get in with that 1 pressure and his new takedown and you'll have meter in no time.
Exactly: 1,1 pressure does it. I also like to nott break when I have sufficient life, receiving a whole combo will let you end up with 2 bars or more, as we all know scorpion is hella dangerous with meter

ryublaze

Noob
Yea block strings are his best way to build meter but whiffed air throw is an addition to his meter building. There are times where you can jump and still be safe and Kedra's setups show that in the vortex. It doesn't always work online though (I tried and the opponent was able to block before jip, F2, 1). Also, if you end a combo with Takedown your opponent can't wake-up so I believe you can jump safely afterwards. Scorpion's throw puts the opponent across the screen, allowing you to jump (unless the opponent wakes up with a teleport).

Scoot Magee

I guess you can call it a safe way to build meter when far away as you mentioned but it will take away from scorpions pressure. Scorpion can make you guess from full screen away after a throw and can still play it pretty safe. I'll take that pressure over the small amount of meter any day and more times then not it will get you some meter with damage. People eat hellfire because they don't want to risk the big damage of shit like AA spear.

Still cool that he has a safe way to get meter, I'm sure it can be useful.

Edit

This is dependent on match up btw.

I have never had any issues with inputs, but I'm trying to add d1~teleport to my game but I can't to it. I managed to to it once in practiced but I don't know exactly how. Can someone give me tips on how to do it and do it consistently?

Scoot Magee

you can't cancel d1 into teleport unless you do the motion instantly after pressing d1. So for instance you can't sit in crouch animation and just do a teleport, you have to go back to neutral first then d1 xx teleport.

This might be old news for all I know, but I've never seen it mentioned anywhere, or am even sure if this would count as being new tech.

Anyway, in a lot of situations, like after an air throw, which I'll use for the example here, *it seems to create a good 50/50 situation. There are other setups but this is the one I use most.

After an air throw, I'll usually dash in once or twice and then either throw a spear or hellfire them. If they go to jump, the spear will hit them. If they don't jump, hellfire will hit them. The spear option has potential to greatly enhance vortex situations, since you can do his high damage BnB ending with air throw and be left with a 50/50 to hit another spear and do it all over again.

I seem to have a pretty good amount of success with this tactic. Most people won't expect a spear in that situation, especially when they see you dashing forward, and they have no option (other than certain wake ups with invincibility frames or armor) but to block or duck to avoid the spear. Or get hellfired if they guess wrong.

Anyone else use this tactic? Like I said I've had mostly good results with it, even at tournaments. There's obvious risk to it, but that's nothing new with Scorpion.

This might be old news for all I know, but I've never seen it mentioned anywhere, or am even sure if this would count as being new tech.

Anyway, in a lot of situations, like after an air throw, which I'll use for the example here, *it seems to create a good 50/50 situation. There are other setups but this is the one I use most.

After an air throw, I'll usually dash in once or twice and then either throw a spear or hellfire them. If they go to jump, the spear will hit them. If they don't jump, hellfire will hit them. The spear option has potential to greatly enhance vortex situations, since you can do his high damage BnB ending with air throw and be left with a 50/50 to hit another spear and do it all over again.

I seem to have a pretty good amount of success with this tactic. Most people won't expect a spear in that situation, especially when they see you dashing forward, and they have no option (other than certain wake ups with invincibility frames or armor) but to block or duck to avoid the spear. Or get hellfired if they guess wrong.

Anyone else use this tactic? Like I said I've had mostly good results with it, even at tournaments. There's obvious risk to it, but that's nothing new with Scorpion.
After an air throw, you throw spear, they block, you will be fully punished.
You do hellfire, they jump, I think the distance is enough to do a JIP.~combo

Well yeah, both of those would be examples of guessing wrong on a 50/50. That's kind of what Scorpion's 50/50s are based around.

To counter your point, even though I already explained it, you spear and they jump expecting hellfire, spear hits. If they block/duck expecting spear and you hellfire, hellfire hits.

It's called 50/50 for a reason. ;)

Wakeup attack goes through both.
Dashing seems to ruins your chances of the spear hitting a wakeup jump.
The main reason I dash first is because most people tend to not expect a spear while you're dashing forward. Not being able to tech after an air throw buys you a little bit of time, enough for spear to hit them if they wake up jump.

But yeah, some wakeups will get around it all like Sektor's ex TU.

New tech or no tech though, it's been an effective strategy for me in both casuals and tournaments, so I thought I'd share it.

ELC

Scrublord McGee
Rushdown (keeping an opponent inside a certain distance via pressure and spacing)

Tools
1,1 - 12f execution; good range for both hits; first hit whiffs on ducking opponent; can be hit-confirmed on first hit into Spear or cancelled into Takedown.
3,3 - 10f execution; decent range for both hits; both hits hit ducking opponents; can be hit-confirmed on first hit into Spear or cancelled into Takedown.
2,1 - 12f execution; great range for both hits; first hit whiffs on ducking opponent; can be hit-confirmed on first hit into Spear, cancelled into Takedown, or finished with 2.
D1 - 6f execution
Takedown - 21f execution; terrible range and hitbox to be used by itself; safe on block; keeps you close to opponent on block; on hit can set up okizeme opportunities.

Strategy
Rushdown with Scorpion is pretty straight-forward. Pressure strings cancelled into Takedown build a good chunk of meter. 1,1 and 3,3 should be your go-to pressure strings, but 2,1 receives a notable mention since it gives Scorpion a safe 50/50 in exchange for damage and a reset. All pressure strings can be cancelled into Spear for a combo. D1 can be used as a frame trap after Takedown.

Zoning (keeping an opponent outside a certain distance via pressure and spacing)

Tools
Demon Fire - 22f execution; unblockable; tracking; whiffs on airborne opponents; unsafe on whiff
Teleport - 33-35f execution; can lead into an AA Vortex setup; unsafe on block
Spear - 13-34f execution; can lead into an AA Vortex setup; very unsafe on whiff; unsafe on block
D4 - 10f execution

Strategy
Zoning with Scorpion is a bit tricky, and certainly not his strongest aspect. Against opponents who cannot read the Scorpion player, Demon Fire baiting into an AA Spear will work better. However, if the opponent can make reads based on the motion used for (B,B v D,B), then footsie D,B into either Demon Fire or Teleport. D4 has absurd range for a poke, and can push your opponent out of their comfort zone.

Turtling (proactively or reactively eliminating an opponent's options and punishing their mistakes)

Tools
EN Demon Fire - 22f execution; unblockable; tracking; OTGs; taller hitbox (will catch jumping opponents); unsafe on whiff
EN Spear - 13-34f execution; can lead into an AA Vortex setup; very unsafe on whiff; unsafe on block; one hit of super armor while executing
EN Takedown - 21f execution; travels farther; has super armor while executing
EN Teleport - 33-35f execution; good advantage on block; can lead to a juggle in the corner
F2,1xxTeleport - AA and Mix-Up Vortex setup finisher; Allows for a safe ji.P or jx.P; negates wake-up opportunities for the opponent.
F4,3xxSpear - BnB Vortex setup finisher; Allows for a Mix-Up Vortex set-up afterwards; negates wake-up opportunities for the opponent.
D3 - 7f execution

Strategy
Turtling is probably where Scorpion excels the most. EN Demon Fire negates wake-ups, though it should be rarely used as such. EN Spear reactively punishes zoning, while EN Takedown proactively punishes zoning (i.o.w. EN Takedown is better for getting in for rushdown, particularly against mid-range zoners). EN Teleport can escape the corner and allow Scorpion to rushdown. F2,1xxTeleport and F4,3xxSpear,D3 both negate wake-ups.

PimpUigi

Sex Kick
C&C indeed
Slips and I have combined powers to write a full guide for Scorpion.
It will be out on Thanksgiving.

ELC

Scrublord McGee
C&C indeed
Slips and I have combined powers to write a full guide for Scorpion.
It will be out on Thanksgiving.
lol: I meant Comments and Criticism, but I have to admit, Command and Conquer is a pretty fun game.

Anyhow, lookin' forward to it ^_^.

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
I actually like your format for how you categorized thing. I might be doing something similar. Regardless, this is a good way of not only how to play Scorp but shows players the fundamentals of the game in general. Good stuff dude.

GrandMasterson

The Netherrealm beckons
I'm not sure if this has been discussed before, but Scorpion has the ability to perform a safe teleport after a blocked JIP/JIK if the punch or kick connects on a very specific hitbox, which is different for each character. However, some characters are immune from the jump-in punch and will block it no matter what, and some characters are vulnerable to it.

I honestly don't know if this is even viable in-game considering how some characters are immune to the JIP and how precise the execution must be. What do you guys think?