What's new

Petition to fix TYM on mobile

Do you absolutely HATE using TYM on mobile?

• Total voters

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
@STORMS @admin

Ok. So I know I was the biggest baby about this when the site switched over to it's new format. This site works great on a PC, but on a phone or tablet using a mobile data connection it is absolutely horrendous.

PLEASE BRING BACK TAPATALK. IT DOESN'T EVEN REQUIRE MUCH EFFORT. I'LL DO IT FOR YOU FOR FREE.

Sometimes I just want to look up a combo or see a specific thread real quick. This sometimes ends up taking 10 minutes or more. Here's why...

1. open mobile browser and type in testyourmight.com
2. wait about a minute for the site to even pull up in the browser
3. still sitting and waiting as many objects such as tabs and links are shifting around the screen like crazy
4. get impatient so I try to hit the tab I want to go to
5. SURPRISE IT SHIFTED NOW I'M ON SOMETHING I DIDNT WANT TO GO TO
6. hit my mobile browser's back button
7. cycle restarts

Before the site switch, I was on the forums ALLLLL day throughout work. I could pop open tapatalk and get to where I wanted to go INSTANTLY. I could keep up with the drama threads all day at any point in time. I could look up important information in seconds.

Please don't take offense to this, BUT THIS SITE IS A TERRIBLE, HORRIBLE, UNFORGIVABLE ABOMINATION ON MOBILE. It is unacceptable and I have NO IDEA how people aren't losing their shit about it. I believe everyone has just accepted it as they feel there's nothing they can do about it. PLEASE DO SOMETHING. PLEASE. THIS ABSOLUTELY SUCKS.

I guess I could have left out the caps, but I wanted to emphasize.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
I'm finding it kind of weird when I'm trying to get to my alerts when it's first loaded and I click alerts but instead of following the link it just does nothing and reforms the Username, Inbox and Alerts together into a Username tab with however many messages and alerts I have added together next to it...

Username of course being for each specific user's username

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
At this point, it's not even about tapatalk specifically. This site runs like ASS on mobile. The only thing that can fix that is either a HUGE design shift/change.. OR install a free API for mobile users through tapatalk.

If there's some option better than tapatalk, I'm all for it. All I know is that I used taptalk for 2 years and had the most enjoyable mobile forum experience I've EVER had.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
I luckily have no problems whatsoever. Tapatalk was garbage.
Why was it garbage if I may ask? Not trying to debate, just wondering how you could possibly have thought it was bad. I can't even think of a complaint over the previous 2 years.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
What I hate about this site on mobile is when you are typing a message and hit enter to go to a new line and start typing, it keeps the cursor at the beginning so you are essentially typing everything backwards lol ... I have to type everything first, then make paragraphs later, it's so annoying.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
Why was it garbage if I may ask? Not trying to debate, just wondering how you could possibly have thought it was bad. I can't even think of a complaint over the previous 2 years.
It lacked features and it wasn't getting updated regularly. On mobile now, I can at least use it like the regular version.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
It lacked features and it wasn't getting updated regularly. On mobile now, I can at least use it like the regular version.
What features did it lack? And what did not getting updates mean performance-wise? either way, would that be a site admin issue and not a tapatalk issue?

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
What features did it lack? And what did not getting updates mean performance-wise? either way, would that be a site admin issue and not a tapatalk issue?
Videos and images weren't embedded properly, links weren't working, there was no 'recent threads' list, notifications weren't working, search function sucked, new threads that you know exist don't appear 'til like 3 days later, and the famous 'Tapatalk API expired"

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
At least on the mobile version I don't get ads, same with the Win:DOGE 8 version, but with the desktop version?

ADBLOCK PLUS CAN'T EVEN SAVE ME

@MylesWright_

I'll be back 3ing
No support buy a computer. The time could be used in fixing other bugs on the site that form a list so long that I couldn't possibly say them all

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
Videos and images weren't embedded properly, links weren't working, there was no 'recent threads' list, notifications weren't working, search function sucked, new threads that you know exist don't appear 'til like 3 days later, and the famous 'Tapatalk API expired"
I don't know if that's true. I could always get to embedded video and pictures with no issue. I'd be on TYM 24/7 constantly and never noticed this. I always was able to get to recent thread list. The sub forums were all set up just like on here. I could always search just fine. I could ALWAYS see new threads. It might have been an issue with your phone.

Yeah I got the tapatalk api expired issue too... but that's not taptalks problem. Guy just didn't update the site very often. That's supposed to be a basic part of site administration.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
I don't know if that's true. I could always get to embedded video and pictures with no issue. I'd be on TYM 24/7 constantly and never noticed this. I always was able to get to recent thread list. The sub forums were all set up just like on here. I could always search just fine. I could ALWAYS see new threads. It might have been an issue with your phone.

Yeah I got the tapatalk api expired issue too... but that's not taptalks problem. Guy just didn't update the site very often. That's supposed to be a basic part of site administration.
Welp. it went from me having problems to you having problems. Though when I was using Tapatalk, other forums were working just fine.

Neariak

LF New Main PST
I miss the old design of the site a bunch, this new design is just blergh. I feel like they just copied and pasted a static layout for no regard for responsive layouts(Layouts that respond to mobile) which is a bad, and they should feel bad.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
What I hate about this site on mobile is when you are typing a message and hit enter to go to a new line and start typing, it keeps the cursor at the beginning so you are essentially typing everything backwards lol ... I have to type everything first, then make paragraphs later, it's so annoying.
THIS. DRIVES. ME. BATSHIT. CRAZY!!!

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
So the status of things is this:

-Tapatalk is being considered

-In the meantime, we will be fixing some things in the mobile version of the site in order to make it more usable.

I know what's behind a bunch of the issues, and I'm going to dive in pretty soon and start fixing some things. While we do this, if you have specific complaints about things that don't work or give you errors, report them here: http://testyourmight.com/threads/the-tym-bug-issue-reporting-and-tracking-thread.42166/

The way this works is that TYM layouts are based on templates. Our old template was ok for the old version of XenForo -- but when XenForo was upgraded (which has to be done every so often for stability/security/new features/etc), we needed to move to a new template that supports the new version.

That requires starting from scratch in a way.. Some things work correctly with it, and some don't. But with only one person working on it, progress was slow and things weren't able to be done fast enough.

We're putting multiple hands on it now, so expect things to speed up a bit. There are a lot of considerations behind the scenes, including money that has to be spent (and the ads don't necessarily cover every expense, so a lot of times this is coming out of someone's pocket). Also every fix has to be tested (3 times: for desktop, tablet, and mobile), which takes time, so that we don't accidentally deploy changes that end up breaking other things.

But in general, we're actively tackling a lot of the issues now and we'll get to them as quickly as we can. I'll try to keep everyone up to date in the thread I linked.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
The way this works is that TYM layouts are based on templates. Our old template was ok for the old version of XenForo -- but when XenForo was upgraded (which has to be done every so often for stability/security/new features/etc), we needed to move to a new template that supports the new version.

That requires starting from scratch in a way...
Or you could modify the template for the mobile version.
(You know, like I did a new template for ijs modifying another one).

But yeah the reason why I think the mobile version takes so long to load and it eats up so many resources are the ads. Just sayin'.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
Thank you very much Crimson... I brought this up originally and I tagged storms and admin so many times and nobody would even give me a response to anything. So at least this is being addressed. I am satisfied.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Or you could modify the template for the mobile version.
(You know, like I did a new template for ijs modifying another one).

But yeah the reason why I think the mobile version takes so long to load and it eats up so many resources are the ads. Just sayin'.
Yeah, it's the order in which the slower assets (like ads) are loaded. It's the same thing for the desktop version of the site -- when the ads are slow, it hangs the entire page. So we'll be fixing the staging sooner or later so that things load in the proper order and outside assets no longer keep the main content of the pages from loading.

Thank you very much Crimson... I brought this up originally and I tagged storms and admin so many times and nobody would even give me a response to anything. So at least this is being addressed. I am satisfied.
No problem -- now that I'm on the admin team, I'll try to keep everyone up to date as much as I can. I'm working on getting up to speed now. Sorry about the issues; they annoy me too and I'll be happy as a clam to get them fixed :)

Last edited:

OG Mannimal

OG "OG Mannimal" Mannimal
I'm not sure if this is TYM specific since this is the only website I go to on my phone that doesn't have an app, but YouTube videos don't load. It says I lack the required plug-in, but I can get to videos if I hit the video really fast, as soon as the page loads. Any later than that and I can't watch the video. Might be an iPhone thing, not sure.

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
Crimson pretty much nailed it.

If I didn't respond before, I apologize but I've been doing everything I can to get the ball rolling. I contact Seth about adding Crimson, and through a group email we have organized a monthly conference call and assign jobs for testing to the respective individuals. So yeah, I haven't been trying to ignore anyone. :)

StevoSuprem0

I'm gonna make this skill gap... disappear.
I don't know why it happens, but the thing that drives me insane is when I hit reply on a post and start typing, it's eventually randomly jumps to a portion of the quoted text, deletes it, and moves my cursor up to that location where it will continue typing. Then, after I fix everything, if it's a longer response, the text window refuses to scroll back to the bottom and I'm forced to delete things and re-type them to get back to where I was. I know this happens to a few other people as well.
Basically makes me only read things on mobile and wait til I can get to a computer to respond. Not the biggest deal, but definitely annoying and limiting to the mobile TYM experience. That'd be my two pennies.