What's new

Pay Your Respects - Under the Mask of Leatherface

BanTheTesters

“My AGENT is tougher than you...”
Hey gang its Jay aka BanTheTesters here, back again to give you more info on this amazing cast of new faces to the Mortal Kombat scene. Kombat Pack 2 is nearly here and to commemorate the hype let’s take a look at another new comer to the roaster, Leatherface! So sit back, grab that hammer and rev that chainsaw and lets this started!

LeatherFace (who as Three real names, “Bubba” , "Thomas Brown Hewitt" and “Jedidiah Sawyer” as he is referred to according to the original Texas Chainsaw films, Texas Chainsaw 2003 and Texas Chainsaw 3D) is the main antagonist (next to his family) of the Texas Chainsaw massacre film series. He has been said to be loosely based off of real life Wisconsin serial killer Ed Gein (who not only actually used to wear a mask of REAL human flesh he also made a flesh suit of his Mother…) and has stared in several Movies and remakes (some of which we will get to later). He has been featured in over 7 films (another film on the way as well) with 7 different actors (mostly stuntmen later on down the line) portraying him. Let’s look take a quick look at some of his films shell we?

Yes, Leatherface is sometimes mistaken for a Lumberjack..

The first 2 Texas Chainsaw films were cult hits (with the first one being a big hit in theaters as well and the 2nd film being a big hit on home video) for their time. Texas Chainsaw 1 brought in $30.8 million Dollars based off of a $300.00 Dollar budget with the 2nd film (described as a “dark comedy”) bringing in 8 million dollars based off a $4.7 million dollar budget. The Leatherface character was written and created by Kim Henkel and Tobe Hopper (who directed his first independent film in 1969), with Hopper directing the first 2 Texas Chainsaw films. Tobe described Leatherface as a “baby who kills in self-defense or when he feels threatened”. Texas Chainsaw 1&2 are considered the 2 best films in the series!

How come NONE of the Leatherface iterations have carried Dual-Chainsaws full time???

In speaking about the first two films, the first two actors to play Leatherface were Gunner (1947-2015) Hansen and Bill Johnson. Gunner was a bar bouncer who tried out for the part of Leatherface after he heard it was filming in Austin, Texas and after landing it studied special needs children for the role(Leatherface is said to be mentally ill in the films). Bill on the other hand is 6’3 and not only likes to listen to classical music but also practices Tai chi!

When Leatherface and his family flex on your girl…what would you do?

The first Texas chainsaw movie (which came out in October 1974) was a straight horror film which dealt with the brother and sister duo Franklin Hardesty (played by Paul A. Partain) and Sally Hardesty (played by Marilyn Burns) and their friends who tag along for the ride to investigate the family gravestones being vandalized. After having a run in with some very strange folks they come upon an old house and decide to investigate…and this is where the one and only Leatherface decides to show up! Only one of the group of friends makes it out alive and leather face does what has been call by fan of the series as the “Chainsaw Dance” (replicated almost to a T in his MKX “win” screen) after realizing said person has escaped. Moments like this are what makes the character and the first film so iconic for several reasons, let’s take a look shell we?

Warning: The above "Chainsaw Dance" video is the ending of Texas Chainsaw 1

Texas Chainsaw Massacre was not only remembered for the character of Leatherface himself and his presence but also some of the things surrounding the overall first film itself. Hopper was actually hopping the film would receive a PG rating due to the gore not being to visible but received a “ Rated X” instead and lead him to cut the content down to get an R rating. The film had cause audiences to walk right out of the theater due to its violent content. Reception wise the film was very mixed with most not liking the blood and gore very much but giving solid praise to the acting and behind the scenes aspects of the film. According to a BBC poll Texas Chainsaw was considered "one of the greatest and most controversial films of all time", and has a solid reputation in the horror community. It was also said by TIME magazine that the film also "set new standards for horror films", and to me is a perfect addition to the crazy cast of character for MKX.

Wait up, I forgot to cut the turkey!!

While there have been several movies in the Texas Chainsaw series (including a prequel in 2003 and a direct “sequel” to the first film in 2013) Leatherface has been making a name for himself in many different forms of media. He has made an appearance in the fan made video game “TerrorDrome” and has also quite a long stint in the comic book medium. Four different comic distributors (Northstar, Topps, Avatar Press, and Wildstorm Comics) have handled Leatherface and shown some very cool aspects of his background including a look at his childhood as a boy (the “About a Boy” one shot comic) and seeing Leatherface without a mask. What’s also cool is seeing that in the comic book universe the townsfolk not only know about the Sawyear families cannibalistic nature but they also try and help them with their victim’s simple because they “don’t want trouble”. This adds a very scary almost “no hope” aspect to the Leatherfaces universe in turn making things all the more intense. So with the comics you get more extreme none MPAA rated gore AND more backstory, what more could fans want?

Stop...Hammer time!

Now for the juicy part, Leatherface has wore 3 different masks during his main film appearances. Those masks were identified as the “Pretty Women Mask” (no not the March 1990 film of the same name), the “Old Lady Mask”, and the “Killing Mask”. According to director Tobe Hopper and writer Kim Henkel the “Pretty Women” mask is Leatherface dressing up for dinner in a female wig and black suit, the “Old Lady” mask sees him in an apron with cooking utensils because we is trying to be “domestic” and helpful while in the kitchen, and finally the “Killing” Mask which is make from the flesh of people, is the one he wears while dishing out pain and terror to his victims. For the original film the reason why he wears these mask are due to him expressing his current mood/personality while in the remake it is due to facial deformities.

I take it none of these will turn me into that family friendly Jim Carry character right?

Leatherface now graces us with his presence in MKX in what according to Netherrealm Studios is a “brawler” type fighting style. He has been said to be easy to pick up and play, has “very good range” with things like his low pokes, lot of mix ups and while not being the fastest cat around the roaster he "makes up for it in power”. He is a very authentic representation true to the character and the classic films with his outfit and masks changing depending on which of his variations (Pretty Women, Old Lady, or the Killing mask as stated above) is selected. Special move wise he’s got a ground combo starter move where he revs his chainsaw on the ground and re-stands his opponent (EX version - he also moves forward), a quick overhead slash (EX version - has armor), a chainsaw rev that can absorb basic projectiles, a running un-blockable move (that is cancelable to fool opponents), is able to throw/air throw his chainsaw as a zoning tool, AND as a tribute to the first movie, has a hammer hit command grab ( called by the dev’s as “one of the fastest command grabs IN THE GAME)!

Question: How does anyone in MKX block a THROWN CHAINSAW?

Well that about does it for today, it looks like Leatherface is going to make an interesting addition to the MK cast. Big thanks again to @Tim Static and the TYM crew for having me and I will hopefully see you guys soon with more, thanks for reading!

Inter-Web Stuff:

Sources

Attachments

Last edited:

Blade4693

VIVIVI
Nice write up. I also don't know if it really matters since its a video game but the Butcher variation's mask/look seems to be based on the 2003 remake Leatherface, who isn't really bubba/Jed Sawyer at all, his name in that film is Thomas Brown Hewitt and is a little bit different than Bubba/Jed. It doesn't really matter though lol

Fun fact - The little kid in the 2003 TCM that helps Jessica Beil escape is named Jedidiah...notice that he has messy black hair, big goofy ears, and the same exact messed up teeth as the original Bubba/Jed Sawyer

O
Nice write up. I also don't know if it really matters since its a video game but the Butcher variation's mask/look seems to be based on the 2003 remake Leatherface, who isn't really bubba/Jed Sawyer at all, his name in that film is Thomas Brown Hewitt and is a little bit different than Bubba/Jed. It doesn't really matter though lol

Fun fact - The little kid in the 2003 TCM that helps Jessica Beil escape is named Jedidiah...notice that he has messy black hair, big goofy ears, and the same exact messed up teeth as the original Bubba/Jed Sawyer
Okay, I'm not crazy then. I thought his butcher mask was from the 2003 remake.

BanTheTesters

*Faceplams*

I literately cannot believe i forgot about this name inclusion and i briefly talked about it above. though i tried to stick to talking about the classics you miss easy things sometimes.

Yea i didnt go to much into the outfit/looks due to me thinking the article was to long as it was, but maybe minus the mask doesn't the butcher variation look to be based off of the 2013 remake?

Anywho the name error has been added/corrected! Good catch.

Last edited:

Blade4693

VIVIVI
*Faceplams*

I literately cannot believe i forgot about this name inclusion and i briefly talked about it above. though i tried to stick to talking about the classics you miss easy things sometimes.

Yea i didnt go to much into the outfit/looks due to me thinking the article was to long as it was, but maybe minus the mask doesn't the butcher variation look to be based off of the 2013 remake?

Anywho the name error has been added/corrected! Good catch.
Yeah it seems to be a fusion of sorts. Butcher (IMO) definitely wears the mask of the 2003 Leatherface, but it seems he is in fact wearing the the red sleeved undershirt that Jed wore in Texas Chainsaw 3D, so it could be either or I guess lol

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
HA you know i actually watched this a while back and it never came to mind lol.

How come you guys haven't show up, sat that dude down and just watched a bunch of movies...

@cR Dragon really DOES need your help Scott lol

He's so...movie uninformed haha
I'm not much older than Dragon, I haven't seen a lot of the moveis myself lol. I've never spoke to Dragon in my life, I live in a different continent, he needs a non-stranger to recommend some movies I guess lol.

I can't criticise, I'm also movie uninformed lol

BanTheTesters

I'm not much older than Dragon, I haven't seen a lot of the moveis myself lol. I've never spoke to Dragon in my life, I live in a different continent, he needs a non-stranger to recommend some movies I guess lol.

I can't criticise, I'm also movie uninformed lol
Ah well my friend we need to catch you up to speed on some films ASAP lol