What's new

Octagon Gate vs Square Gate for MK?

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous

So... this is a square vs a octagon gate right? Is this basically telling me that UP, DOWN, LEFT and RIGHT are easier to input?

Like in MK it is all about the 4 directions... not really charging like in Street Fighter.. . . ?

So the Octagon gate is the best choice for stick players?

Thoughts?

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
Can you explain this a bit better? Is this about the stick?
Yeah, there is a "gate" I am not a tech guy.. but it basically is this box around your stick that translates the inputs or something like that. All I know is you can swap em out and it changes the hotspots for movement.

From the drawings.. it looks like 4 way movement is a lot easier on a octagon gate?

I used square gate on last gen NRS games. Works perfectly in my opinion
Yeah I use square gate at the moment and have no real issues. Still I am getting a new stick that is native ps4 compatible for this and SFV. So I was thinking I might make my old stick a Mortal Kombat special, by putting in a octagon gate.

The problem is that I'm not a tech guy and never moddded a stick before.. so I was just curious if I understand the advantages correctly?

RyuKazuya

Jesus is my Lord and Savior!
it depends on every person. You need to test it on your own to make a precise decision. I recommend starting with a 4 gate though since you should try to get a feeling though. MK allows you to play both. Since you do not need precise inputs like tekken a 4 gate does a good job. :D

SneakyTortoise

Official Master of Salt
Yeah, there is a "gate" I am not a tech guy.. but it basically is this box around your stick that translates the inputs or something like that. All I know is you can swap em out and it changes the hotspots for movement.

From the drawings.. it looks like 4 way movement is a lot easier on a octagon gate?

Yeah I use square gate at the moment and have no real issues. Still I am getting a new stick that is native ps4 compatible for this and SFV. So I was thinking I might make my old stick a Mortal Kombat special, by putting in a octagon gate.

The problem is that I'm not a tech guy and never moddded a stick before.. so I was just curious if I understand the advantages correctly?
It doesn't require any real modding at all to change a square gate to an octagon and vice versa. The gates are really cheap to buy, and fitting them is just a matter of unscrewing the casing and swapping them over (look on youtube and you'll see how easy it is). So buy an octagon gate and see what you prefer.