What's new

No, It Wasn't Good For Me: Kano vs. Mileena

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
Greetings Kano forum. Does anyone else have trouble with Mileenas? I can't really put my finger on why, but she is consistently my most difficult match; much more so than Kung Lao, Raiden, or any other top tier fighters.

Does anyone have good anecdotes about how you dealt with Mileena specifically? Especially in regards to defending against teleport kicks and rolls.

Thanx.

Dark_Rob

Noob
Greetings Kano forum. Does anyone else have trouble with Mileenas? I can't really put my finger on why, but she is consistently my most difficult match; much more so than Kung Lao, Raiden, or any other top tier fighters.

Does anyone have good anecdotes about how you dealt with Mileena specifically? Especially in regards to defending against teleport kicks and rolls.

Thanx.
Block dude. Tele kicks and rolls are about as unsafe on block as you can get. Dont concentrate on zoning with knives so much as this is most likely why she is getting you with rolls and telekicks. Your offense is much better than hers and so are your mixups. Get in there and beat that bitch up like shes your red headed step daughter.
Most halfassed Mileena players will dig they're own grave for you if you give them the chance. Good Mileena players are a problem though, but that could be said of any character in the game with a good player behind the controller.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
Rob summed it up. Block her telekick, block low for her roll, block high for her mid kick.

Her telekick and roll are both highly punishable with full combos, don't attempt to zone her with knives obviously, because she'll kick and roll you.

Mileena isn't much of a problem for me, I find Sektor and Quan Chi to be problematic though but I need more experience playing them.

Gthunda866

Lazer Eye!
The thing is there are not a lot of good Mileena player I have seen so truthfully I don't even know the characters attributes (meaning Mileena)

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
You can punish blocked kicks and rolls with full combos? She hangs in the air so long and it seems the same frame she touches the ground she can block. It's timed different from all the male blocked specials where they hang in the air

D.Barrett

Pad Warrior
Best option is to rush her down. Thats all there is too it. Bait her into doing wake up attacks and punish in response. Lots of Mileena players like to tag in lows up close, then go for the overhead. Up ball is fast enough that you dont need to anticipate it, just see it and react to her overhead. It's just as slow as Kano's.

tehm

Noob
Seen alot of advice that works against bad meleenas and not much that would work against (what I consider anyways...) a good one.

The answer I've come up with (like with most of Kano's bad matchups) is basically EX upball (or instant air ball depending on range) on reaction to her instant air sai and go immediately into pressure games. You basically just have to rush her down and never let her mount an offense. Up close you're a little better than her, at a distance she's got a pretty big edge with those instant air sais and the full screen anti-airs.

I still think the matchup is only a break-even but if you can consistently get in on her imo you've already won the fight.

Now looking at it from the other side, now that I've started to switch over to playing a zoning style Jade (I've been a Kano since launch) I've been finding Kano to be completely free to her... so on that matchup I've got no idea what you're going to do but I'd certainly be more worried about that one: You can't outzone her because of glow, you can't get in on her safely because of u3, you can't really pressure her because of EX Glow, and if you get knocked down even once EX boomerang shennanigans can end you right there if you don't make several correct guesses in a row.

Brahma

Noob
I just played about 50 matches with a good Mileena. Granted they were online and I'm not that great an MK player, but here my two cents.

First off knives aren't that useful in this fight. At midrange, she can punish on reaction with telekick or roll. Far range she can telekick on reaction or roll under and get close, or outzone you with instant air sais.

Roll is very unsafe as has been said, but how exactly do you punish it? I find if I wait until she lands I risk missing the combo, and you have to wait for just the right timing to 212 her out of the air. An suggestions?

With telekick on block, she can cancel it into air sai somehow, changing her hangtime in the air, which can cause combos to whiff. EX telekick is afaik not punishable.

How do you deal with her low kick pressure (I think d+3?). I got mixed up a lot with low kick and overheads. I'm assuming I should block low and stand for the overhead on reaction. Should I be jumping after or attacking after I block or what? tThe low seems to go under a lot of my stuff. This isn't Kano specific but I've been having this problem in general, what to do about quick lows.

tehm

Noob
Sounds to me like both that is a good Mileena and you've pretty much got it down man.

The answer to how to deal with that low in the general is "fuzzy guard" which is just how the community says hold neutral block, and as you see the low come in tap down for a split second while holding the neutral block.

Problem is, it works like crap online. So otherwise, don't know what to tell you. I avoid online like the plague for now.

=\

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
I actually played a good mileena online and did really well against her for the first time. I played really defensively and just just poked at her with footsies and kano balls until I blocked her specials, and then was able to punish.