What's new

NetherRealm's Silence

StealthyMuffin

Earth's Mightiest Knucklehead
How is extensive patching and developer silence an acceptable combination? Please just speak up.

Are you nerfing Tanya before EVO? What known bugs are you working on? Will Tremor's dialogue consist of rock-based puns? These questions aren't difficult to answer.

"She will be affected by the upcoming hotfix." "Breathing hitboxes are totally okay. Just learn the matchup, dawg ." "Of coarse! Puns rock!"

This probably isn't worthy of its own thread, but I do think that this is a legitimate issue.

Edit: The example questions were only examples. Except the pun one. That's a serious question.

Last edited:

Charybdis

We are returned! Death to the False Emperor!
OP raises a good point. NRS seem almost bipolar: they'll inundate us with patches to the point that the rest of the FGC starts to laugh at us yet be totally silent when we actually need to know if something is getting patched before Evo

D4G

Win At All Cost
When no one knows what you're going to do, it doesnt give anyone a chance to complain about it. Which happens a lot around here I've noticed. NRS has done a great job with patches thus far and I trust them enough to not start fucking up now.

I do understand needing to know whats in store for Tanya just before the grand tournament though. That much they should give us.

Noob
tsk.... this is quite simple, if your a character loyalist you will stay with her regardless of her condition, i REALLY doubt any nerf will lower her to the point of not being viable... if your looking to win at all costs you will move on to another character, its not like this game is super hard to learn... if you got the skill you will do well with another top tier since you already know the mechanics... Any excuse coming from ohhh plz tell us whats going to happen cause i want to take "the best character in the game cause i cant do well without it" is just you saying you suck at the game...

Besides Devs are not gonna waste their time answering all the little requests the thousands of ppl asking on their twitter Etc... all the time.. if they did no work would get done ever...

StealthyMuffin

When no one knows what you're going to do, it doesnt give anyone a chance to complain about it. Which happens a lot around here I've noticed. NRS has done a great job with patches thus far and I trust them enough to not start fucking up now.

I do understand needing to know whats in store for Tanya just before the grand tournament though. That much they should give us.
You said it yourself. People are already complaining. I don't think staying silent to avoid complaints is reasonable.

StealthyMuffin

tsk.... this is quite simple, if your a character loyalist you will stay with her regardless of her condition, i REALLY doubt any nerf will lower her to the point of not being viable... if your looking to win at all costs you will move on to another character, its not like this game is super hard to learn... if you got the skill you will do well with another top tier since you already know the mechanics... Any excuse coming from ohhh plz tell us whats going to happen cause i want to take "the best character in the game cause i cant do well without it" is just you saying you suck at the game...

Besides Devs are not gonna waste their time answering all the little requests the thousands of ppl asking on their twitter Etc... all the time.. if they did no work would get done ever...
Going by your own logic, it also wouldn't matter if we DID have insight into what's being looked at.

I agree that answering absolutely everyone's questions is an unreasonable request. However, that's not what I'm after. I was thinking of something more along the lines of a simple weekly update.

MadeOfMetal

Kenshi Srubtastic,Cyrax, Special Forces Mains
I think they need to focus all their time and energy towards Online Experience. i would stay in the dark silent and willing if they fixed online, might even buy extra shit from them, but since i know online is HOT GARBAGE, id rather just stick with my kombat pack..... was gonna get it on XB1, and steam on several accounts Kombat Pack and all, but im not so sure after Online Experience so far!

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
I agree, it is actually pretty weird how NRS is super secretive and mum on changes they are planning to implement. You pretty much just find out about them as they are dropping. Several other games I play that have great Dev interaction with their player-base definitely keep the players in the loop about what is going on and hint on future alterations. NRS is definitely awesome at interacting with the community and all, so I really don't understand why they seem to have such an issue revealing any plans or changes until literally minutes before a patch is released...

Gegz

It's all in the game yo'
I think they need to focus all their time and energy towards Online Experience. i would stay in the dark silent and willing if they fixed online, might even buy extra shit from them, but since i know online is HOT GARBAGE, id rather just stick with my kombat pack..... was gonna get it on XB1, and steam on several accounts Kombat Pack and all, but im not so sure after Online Experience so far!
Why would they focus on something they can't change anymore ? It's already too late for the Online.

Anyway, i'd like them to have a better communication regarding the updates. I also play League of Legends, and at every update :

- We know when a patch is coming
- There's a Public Server Test where we can try some of the changes before the release
- The development team is explaining the reasons behind the changes.

MadeOfMetal

Kenshi Srubtastic,Cyrax, Special Forces Mains
Why would they focus on something they can't change anymore ? It's already too late for the Online.

Anyway, i'd like them to have a better communication regarding the updates. I also play League of Legends, and at every update :

- We know when a patch is coming
- There's a Public Server Test where we can try some of the changes before the release
- The development team is explaining the reasons behind the changes.
Yeah im a beta tester for LOL, add me JaggedSyringe i have been off for a while im sure ive dropped, but i was Diamond I when i got off there.

they do this on MK as well, check out NRS Lanny....no nrs don't have beta testing but they show patch notes.

and how couldn't they change online?

i seem to remember several videos by ed boon stating NRS main goal is to work on improving online experience!

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
What company let's changes be known to the community before the patch hits? I'm sure it'd be the minority even if you can list examples. NRS isn't being "secretive", they're just doing the patching as they, and most other devs, have always done.

ManBatHorse

Syzoth of the Devil Reef
What company let's changes be known to the community before the patch hits? I'm sure it'd be the minority even if you can list examples. NRS isn't being "secretive", they're just doing the patching as they, and most other devs, have always done.
Digital Extremes. Blizzard, sometimes. Even the guys from Call of Duty, via twitter

StealthyMuffin

Even if NRS isn't alone, this is still an issue.

ManBatHorse

Syzoth of the Devil Reef
You gave me 3 names and one was "sometimes". NRS did it before too with Injustice before the big patch. This is just standard practice.
DE is the creator of Warframe, a really big PvE game. Blizzard is the creator of Starcraft, Warcraft, WoW, HOTS, etc. They often comment about what they need to change about starcraft and why they chose to rebalance the game the way they did. I don't know anything about wow and HOTS. And the Call of Duty guys do similar things. Many smaller companies communicate with the players too.

And btw

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow

Why? Because people don't know exactly what they're getting next patch? The only problem there is things you were doing before won't work now but that's the nature of patches/updates and that doesn't change whether you know before the patch or once it drops. Even if NRS answered the "will she be patched in time for EVO" it'd be the company spiel of "we're working as hard as we can to make sure the game is as balanced as possible before EVO".