What's new

Most of the in-game frame data is wrong

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
So it's been brought to my attention that most of the frame data in game is wrong. Is there a reason for this? Does any other fighting game have this problem?

I know NRS said they are going to release a patch to update the in game frame data.... but they also did that in Injustice and it was still wrong. So, why should I believe that the in-game frame data will EVER be correct? It's extremely disappointing to rely on information like that that you can't trust. How do I get an NRS employee to address this?

@tylerlansdown - Anything? Please calm my soul lol

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Meaning if the in game frame data said a move is safe so far it's safe.
Unfortunately that's not the case. I don't know about all of the characters, but Kung Jin has many moves that are labeled -6 that get blown up by 8-frame reversals. Takeda's MB Teleport is labeled as 0 on block, but it gets blown up by 12-frame punishers.

D

Deleted member 9158

Yeah there was a similar issue in IGAU, they fixed it with a patch if I remember correctly.

E

Eldriken

The frame data isn't the only thing that's wrong. I obviously haven't played as everyone, but I know of one character that has the wrong damage for a move. Liu Kang's b2 says it does 3% damage when it in fact does 7%. If the amount of damage a move does is THAT wrong, imagine how off the frame data can possibly be.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
I tested some of Cassie's stuff so far and it seems like a lot of it is wrong as well. Please NRS, this really hurts being able to play the game at a high level, and it needs to be addressed. Having the wrong frame data is just a really big problem. What makes it more annoying is that the same thing happened in Injustice and has resurfaced. I don't see how this couldn't have been a priority...

E

Eldriken

I tested some of Cassie's stuff so far and it seems like a lot of it is wrong as well. Please NRS, this really hurts being able to play the game at a high level, and it needs to be addressed. Having the wrong frame data is just a really big problem. What makes it more annoying is that the same thing happened in Injustice and has resurfaced. I don't see how this couldn't have been a priority...
I'd like to know how a dev gets their own frame data wrong to begin with. >_>

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Paulo made a post to say that they're working on it and Derek is handling this -- so I think that's the best everyone will get for now. I'm sure there are probably 100 high-priority issues to address now, with crashes, bugs, and finishing/testing DLC; so if it's not fixed within a couple months, that might be a good time to gently bring it up again.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
Yeah there was a similar issue in IGAU, they fixed it with a patch if I remember correctly.
No. They said they fixed it. But they didn't. A lot of the frame data was still ridiculously wrong and I'm afraid it's going to happen again and I want to know what reason I have to trust NRS that they are capable of providing accurate frame data? Every attempt so far has been an epic fail. I absolutely love the game. But it fucking sucks that I can't trust the in-game frame data and have to sit there and test every single string, normal, and special that I have and just eyeball it instead of being able to just look, know it's accurate, and apply it while playing against people and getting better.

Where the hell is somberness? That guy found out all of the frame data in mk9 on his own. Why can't a multi million dollar company figure this out? Isn't there a database in game that they could just pull the raw data from? Who even puts the frame data together? How does this happen? Does someone just start typing random numbers into a spreadsheet and think "lol good to go"? What's the deal here?

@tylerlansdown

redeyes

Button Masher
How can you possibly tell the difference between 4/60th's of a second?
put someone on reversal and test only going up by a frame or 2 per move.

ie: ex lao spin is 4frames, got hit by that
but reptile dash is 7 frames? i think didnt get punished by that.

or an easier way to explain:

wtf thats suppose to be safe why did i get punished.

is always an easy way to tell

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
So it's been brought to my attention that most of the frame data in game is wrong. Is there a reason for this? Does any other fighting game have this problem?

I know NRS said they are going to release a patch to update the in game frame data.... but they also did that in Injustice and it was still wrong. So, why should I believe that the in-game frame data will EVER be correct? It's extremely disappointing to rely on information like that that you can't trust. How do I get an NRS employee to address this?

@tylerlansdown - Anything? Please calm my soul lol
THIS IS BEING ADDRESSED ASAP IN THE ARMORY EPISODE 2

Check it out

purbeast

Noob
As a professional developer for over a decade, it baffles me how this information could be wrong, considering that they already have the actual correct frame data as it animates. I simply do not understand how they could have it right as the character animates, and wrong where you view it. I would think that the values would come from the same place, so that you couldn't have it right in one place and wrong in another. Just makes absolutely no sense to me.

Krackatoa

BEES? BEES!
As a professional developer for over a decade, it baffles me how this information could be wrong, considering that they already have the actual correct frame data as it animates. I simply do not understand how they could have it right as the character animates, and wrong where you view it. I would think that the values would come from the same place, so that you couldn't have it right in one place and wrong in another. Just makes absolutely no sense to me.
Their frame data might not be calculated by referencing animation data/blockstun values. It could be put in by hand.

purbeast

Noob
Their frame data might not be calculated by referencing animation data/blockstun values. It could be put in by hand.
And that is retarded if that is the case, which is my point.

Calculate it with the animation algorithms, then store that value into a db or text file or wherever they store it to display it.

It just makes absolutely no sense.