What's new

Mortal Kombat X Delayed Until Fall for Last Gen?

Tim Static

Adminerator
The once delayed last gen ports of MKX for Xbox 360 & Playstation 3 might have been delayed once again, this time until Fall. According to this article from Kotaku, that very well may be the case. Check out the article, taken from HERE:

"Last week, publisher Warner Bros. quietly delayed the last-gen port of Mortal Kombat X, according to several GameStop employees, who tell Kotaku they informed customers on Friday that PS3 and Xbox 360 versions of the new fighting game had been delayed from summer until fall.

The mega-retailer changed the listing on their website, too, quietly tweaking the release date from June 2...

GS_MKX_360_1.png

...to December 31:
GS_MKX_360_2.png

This marks the second delay for the last-gen versions of Mortal Kombat X, which came out for PS4, Xbox One, and PC last month. Warner Bros. originally announced that the Xbox 360 and PS3 ports would be out alongside the others in April, but earlier this year the publisher said they were delaying the last-gen versions to “summer.” Now, the status of these ports is murky, and it’s even more unclear when they’ll be released. (Yet another reason not to pre-order games.)

This all raises some interesting questions, as we enter a strange stasis period where many publishers and developers would like to release games for the more powerful platforms without feeling saddled by the restrictions of old hardware, but also feel like they need to sell last-gen ports in order to maximize sales. How much longer will publishers do this? Will any of those ports be worth the resources? How much will inferior versions of a game ultimately hurt its resonance with fans?

With last fall’s Shadow of Mordor, for example—also published by Warner Bros.—the delayed last-gen versions turned out to be inferior ports that stripped away much of what made the game great. Some other big 2015 games—The Witcher 3, Mad Max, Assassin’s Creed: Syndicate—are sticking to PS4 and Xbox One, while others, like Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 and Madden 16, won’t ditch the last generation of consoles yet.

Warner may have decided that Mortal Kombat X is doing just fine without those old platforms: it was the #1 seller of April, according to NPD sales data. Maybe they don’t want to risk cannibalizing sales—or hurting their Metacritic score—with an inferior port.

Representatives for Warner Bros. did not respond to requests for comment."

You can reach the author of this post at [email protected] or on Twitter at @jasonschreier.

So what are your thoughts? Did you preorder MKX for last gen?

Attachments

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
@Tim Static you just saved me a google search, just got off phone with a friend who said they were in gamestop today and was told "a non concrete sept date" and i was telling him to relax that gamestop guy prob talking out his arse...sooooo ehhh maybe not so much now :/

I don't even want to buy old gen version anymore because of all the delays and issues. I wanted to practice on old gen and enter tournaments in new gen, but knowing the issues, the properties and frame data won't even be the same and I can't afford a new gen console right now.

Matix218

Get over here!
Ugh...I really didn't want to have to buy a next gen console but it looks like I may have no choice. ..

kivatt

Kono Dio Da
Aren't they outsourcing the port to another company?
They probably don't want to end up with another PC situation.

Really? With issues of the pc version I was kinda counting on last gen as the back up plan. Does WB not want me to buy this game?

Levaranoia

War God
It would be in their best interest to just cancel the last gen version especially when they are using the same bozos they used for the PC. Those guys don't deserve anymore money. If anything NRS should be doing that version themselves.