What's new

Mortal Kombat X = BIGGEST Launch in Mortal Kombat History, says Boon

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
It's very much needless to say how exciting it is that Mortal Kombat X is finally here and ready to play. Mortal Kombat X was easily the most anticipated Mortal Kombat game we've seen since the arcade days and it has been surpassing our expectations in many ways. However, us fans are not the only ones showing our appreciation for the work that's been done...

Ed Boon recently took to twitter "Thanking Everyone for making Mortal Kombat X the biggest launch in MK history".

exceed.png

What can we say... we love NetherRealm Studios and clearly, NetherRealm loves us back. Be proud and let's just keep kicking ass.

Source: @noobde
Credit: EventHubs

Attachments

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
It's like MKDA, MKD & MK9 all over again. Just hours and days in the lab cooking up some marvelous shit to make your mouth water!!!! Quoted from the Ghostfcae killa.

This game is probably the best MK game yet!!!

gamesun

Noob
I'm freaking loving this game, I can't seem to choose a main since all the characters look and play great. Just a testament on how good the game is.

Wait, what happened with the PC version? (I wanted buy a copy for my gaming laptop, when I buy my gaming laptop in a few months)

Icy Black Deep

Still training...
Wait, what happened with the PC version? (I wanted buy a copy for my gaming laptop, when I buy my gaming laptop in a few months)
http://testyourmight.com/threads/lets-talk-mkx-on-pc.48845/page-21

To try to summarize: It's only available on Steam. At midnight (?) Tuesday Steam let you download the game, but it was only actually a small part of the game so it would crash when you tried to do anything. Tuesday afternoon the rest of the game became downloadable and then people could actually start playing it.
Trying to remap buttons tends to crash the game. People have figured out that it seems to hate having multiple controllers; if you unplug your keyboard (and maybe mouse) remapping will work.
There are still a lot of complaints that the game runs poorly (low frame rate), though some people say it runs perfectly fine. It may be necessary to run at something lower than 1080x1920, it may require turning off some fancier rendering.

To try to summarize: It's only available on Steam. At midnight (?) Tuesday Steam let you download the game, but it was only actually a small part of the game so it would crash when you tried to do anything. Tuesday afternoon the rest of the game became downloadable and then people could actually start playing it.
Trying to remap buttons tends to crash the game. People have figured out that it seems to hate having multiple controllers; if you unplug your keyboard (and maybe mouse) remapping will work.
There are still a lot of complaints that the game runs poorly (low frame rate), though some people say it runs perfectly fine. It may be necessary to run at something lower than 1080x1920, it may require turning off some fancier rendering.
Damn! That's sucks. I'll make sure to check up on the PC version again in the coming months.

PC way stronger than consoles. I wonder why it's having all these issues. As long as someone has a mid to powerful pc, good graphics card there should be no issues. But I don't know much of pcs so.. But still this is sad.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
PC way stronger than consoles. I wonder why it's having all these issues. As long as someone has a mid to powerful pc, good graphics card there should be no issues. But I don't know much of pcs so.. But still this is sad.
Basically last year hardware does well. But there are a lot of things to watch for that are not present on consoles, especially if your PC is scratch-built.
And now isn't the best time to upgrade, what's with upcoming new generation of GPUs, for example.

My thoughts on the PC launch

Graphics API's are broken, graphics Drivers are morbidly obese (literally, no joking, millions of lines of code, much of it dedicated to hacking around broken crap and issues). They are all broken. Direct X is broken. OpenGL is broken. Nearly every game ships broken, and honestly it is not the developer's fault. I wish I could explain people the absolute nightmare of a mess we are in, in terms of industry graphics standard, but the PC vs Consoles war has drowned it out.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=7821854
also:
"http://www.gamedev.net/topic/666419-what-are-your-opinions-on-dx12vulkanmantle/"

"The first lesson is: Nearly every game ships broken. We're talking major AAA titles from vendors who are everyday names in the industry. In some cases, we're talking about blatant violations of API rules - one D3D9 game never even called BeginFrame/EndFrame. Some are mistakes or oversights - one shipped bad shaders that heavily impacted performance on NV drivers. These things were day to day occurrences that went into a bug tracker. Then somebody would go in, find out what the game screwed up, and patch the driver to deal with it. There are lots of optional patches already in the driver that are simply toggled on or off as per-game settings, and then hacks that are more specific to games - up to and including total replacement of the shipping shaders with custom versions by the driver team. Ever wondered why nearly every major game release is accompanied by a matching driver release from AMD and/or NVIDIA? There you go."

Focus on that last quote:

"Ever wondered why nearly every major game release is accompanied by a matching driver release from AMD and/or NVIDIA? There you go"

I apologize I may lack the linguistic skills to explain it, but here's my best attempt: The game ships broken because it doesn't conform to a right spec, because the spec itself is dumb, the company that makes the spec then basically puts in patches, that are really 'exceptions' that allow the broken thing to run.

Generally, it can be much more difficult depending on the platform to fix it. This sometimes ends up being consoles, sometimes its PC. In any case, the pretty things you see on the screen is generally the result of graphics programmers doing their best with absolute bullcrap for tools. My heart goes out to them.

Whether a game is broken or not often is not related to the amount of power the machine running it has. It's a software issue, not just a hardware issue (whole other can of worms there btw).

Literally, it's an awful time to be a graphics programmer right now. They have nothing to work with but CRAP. It's no wonder, in a job like programming that has 70+% job satisfaction, that Graphics programmers are generally the most miserable among us:

http://www.sitepoint.com/2015-stack-overflow-developer-survey/

I apologize to anyone who has read that and is now huddled up crying. It drives me crazy too. Disclaimer: I'm not a graphics programmer- I just know enough of them who've pointed me to all this stuff. The above is just one of the many reasons I am much happier developing for the web.

Also...

- Online is glitchy and crashes at random times
- Pings are glitched (they only show 3 gray bars and no actual pings are indicated)
- Win/loss records reset to 0/0 everytime u enter a room
- Faction server fails to connect
- Warner bros ID allows you to login but does not unlock your rewards earned from mobile and vice versa, then it glitches out and gives you connection errors (I haven't been able to log back in since, it fails to associate my account)
- A bunch of other stuff...but you get the idea, and I'm tired of typing.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Not surprised about the PC version being disappointing, just goes to show-More power doesn't always mean=better.

Outside of a few minor issues online, the game is awesome though I do hope they get rid of the run element at some point in MK's future. I personally feel the dash is good enough. Congrats NRS! I'd also like to point out here unlike other fighters, we get a good amount of stuff for FREE via playing the game but with the option to buy a lot of it(noticed NRS doesn't force you to) which IMO is a big plus in my book over other fighters.

Even Raiden agrees, yes!!