What's new

MKX EVO Rules

coolwhip

Noob
Something caught my eye when I was reading the MKX rules for EVO:

Mortal Kombat X
  • Game version: PlayStation 4
  • Game Settings: Versus Mode, 2/3 Games, 99 Seconds
  • Predator and Tremor are not legal for tournament play.
  • Winner may change variation (only if opponent changes characters), but has to pick variation first after loser picks character.
  • If the players do not agree on a stage within 15 seconds, the match will be random stage select.
Surely this has to be changed to where community rules are applied?

@Pig Of The Hut
@For whom it may concern

What's Mr Wizard's tag?

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
With this change, it makes sense to rank characters in a variation less fashion. This is interesting

coolwhip

Noob
With this change, it makes sense to rank characters in a variation less fashion. This is interesting
I don't think this change will be made though. I'm like 99% certain EVO will adopt whatever rule tournaments were using up until this point. But I just wanted to bring it to everyone's attention.

Sage Leviathan

I'm platinum mad!
I think we need a lengthy, deliberate clean-up post to sort through all the sh8t that has occurred in the past 2 weeks.

roosTakk

Chode Juggler
Honestly I kind of like it, brings a whole new dimension to the game.

But then again im free

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
I have full confidence that this will be changed, but I'm just curious, under that proposition, would the winning character not be able to switch variation if the the loser switched variation but not character?

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
I have full confidence that this will be changed, but I'm just curious, under that proposition, would the winning character not be able to switch variation if the the loser switched variation but not character?
nope, if it is the same character then they cannot change variation
EDIT: they appear to be taking out the variation switch completely

SEV

Noob
I actually think it could have been a cool idea. If someone attempts to counter pick your character, why not be able to lessen the disadvantage if there is a more suitable variation without changing characters. Why should someone get an advantage for losing; isn't that why tournaments started using random stage select in Injustice?

I can't think of many situations where a change of variation would actually hard counter a different character, especially since most characters tend to have one variation that over shines the rest; the only situation I can think of is if someone went to counter pick a Lackey Torr with Sub-Zero, in which case they can go Vicious for a favorable MU regardless of Sub-Zero's variation choice and despite being counter picked.

Last edited:

coolwhip

Noob
I actually think it could have been a kind of cool idea.
This is EVO though. There's no time for "cool ideas" or experimenting. You stick with the rules that have been applied throughout the game's life (obviously sets being ft2 or ft3 is a different issue).

Osirun

www.powerupfighters.org
From what I understand, UMK3's ruleset changed over time to allow winner to choose any character they want. At least, this is how it was explained to me by our local UMK3 head honcho. Maybe MKX will change over time to allow variation switch in reaction to the loser's character switch. But I agree that it should not be that way at EVO this year, given that all other events have run a strict winner keeps character and variation ruleset.

I am glad to see THTB's post showing that the EVO staff is changing the rule. Thx Wiz.

My thread yesterday about the changes to GBS mentioned that. We changed the GBS rules to follow evo, and will change them if evo changes them.

SEV

Noob
This is EVO though. There's no time for "cool ideas" or experimenting. You stick with the rules that have been applied throughout the game's life (obviously sets being ft2 or ft3 is a different issue).
I agree, I just remember seeing this being discussed as a possibility somewhere, sometime early in the games life, and many people were strongly opposed to it despite the fact that it seems as if it would compliment the game's design well.

Riyo

Noob
I agree, I just remember seeing this being discussed as a possibility somewhere, sometime early in the games life, and many people were strongly opposed to it despite the fact that it seems as if it would compliment the game's design well.
I personally all for the variation change if loser changes character. It does compliment the games design just as how SF4 added a 2nd Ultra selection. Even if it's not a rule for EVO, I support this rule for future major events.