What's new

MK10 for Next-Gen Consoles?

This is all theoretical.

According to articles like this, the theoretical PS4 and Xbox 720 will be presumably be released around Christmas 2013. If what the article claims is true, then development for PS3 and 360 games may cease in the coming year. Since Injustice is set for release in 2013, it's probable that MK10 will probably come out after the release of these new consoles.

Assuming that this is true, how do you feel about MK10 being released exclusively for next-gen consoles?

Personally, I am not feeling much hype for these next-gens. I feel it's too early, and that the current generation can last at least another strong 4-5 years. However, it's pretty obvious that Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft are more concerned about the industry's shift to digital downloads than anything else. For me, I will probably get a next-gen when MK10 is released. The determining factor on which console I will be getting will probably be the systems' controller pads and online. That probably rules out the Wii U for me, since I can't see myself playing fighting games on a controller like this:

Here's some more info on Orbis (PS4 codename) and Durango (720 codename).

Mattman

Warlock Nerd
i thought the ps3 was designed to last 10 years instead of 5 like the ps and ps2, no? then again, my only source for that info is a friend of mine and he's a damn liar lol

Subby Z

Noob
i thought the ps3 was designed to last 10 years instead of 5 like the ps and ps2, no? then again, my only source for that info is a friend of mine and he's a damn liar lol
No, I've heard that same suggestion as well. To be honest, Fans are pushing these companies to release the next generation of console's more than anything.

I'm perfectly fine with my X-box 360 and honestly with the kinect, and the new things like microsoft glass (I think that's the name) I see absolutely no reason to bring in a new system yet. They have worked so hard making this system not only a gaming system, but an entertainment hub. PS3, I don't feel, has accomplished as much as X360, however, they are still nothing to shake a stick at. I will admit that graphics look better on PS3 because I've played games on both, but I honestly see no need for either Microsoft or Sony to release anything new yet.

Now nintendo is another story. They went wrong, again, when they made the wii which only catered to casual fans. Now, they are trying to cover their ground and release the Wii U which they hope will bring them in more of the hardcore fanbase. Maybe it will and maybe it won't. Only time will tell. I will say this though. One thing I won't like about the Wii U is I notice you have to pay a lot of attention to the controller and the touch screen. Nearly every game I have seen they are constantly looking at the touch screen. Honestly, if I have a tv screen in front of me, I don't want to be playing the game on a controller that looks like a handheld system. I just don't. Nintendo needs to make a normal controller and that will bring in the hardcore fanbase. This controlller may seem cool in theory, but I feel it will get old, FAST.

The release of the Wii U is only going to make fans speculate more about the new systems from Microsoft and Sony, even though I don't believe we should see either for at least another good 5 years. I don't want a new system in 2 to 3 years. I've invested money and time into this system. I don't want to have to pay another $400-$500 dollars for a new system. Too much money goes into these, and honestly I'm just not willing to pay it. I'm sure that people who have bought the kinect and the 360 in general will agree. They still aren't dirt cheap even at $200 dollars so for them to release a new system it seems like it would just be pissing people off.

It's up to the consumers to stop speculating the release of the next generation of systems though because the more we ask for it (Demand), the faster we are going to get it (Supply).

Flagg

Noob
Consoles dont traditionally live longer than 5 years. Top end PC's will always have superior looking games to consoles and PC's are ever evolving, hence another reason new consoles need to be churned out, because consoles are still cheaper than upgrading your PC.

Subby Z

Noob
Consoles dont traditionally live longer than 5 years. Top end PC's will always have superior looking games to consoles and PC's are ever evolving, hence another reason new consoles need to be churned out, because consoles are still cheaper than upgrading your PC.
I know, but I also remember representatives for both Sony and Microsoft expressed that Xbox 360 and PS3 were supposed to break that mold. While the PC may be better for games, it doesn't appeal for all gamers. That's why you will find some people asking for games to be ported to PC. It's just not as large of a market as the consoles are, gaming wise that is. Normal consumers are not willing to pay that much money for console's or PC's either.

Hell, both the Kinect and the PS Move were said to have extended the lifespan of both the Xbox and the PS3 respectively. I would say that Sony and Nintendo both probably want their hands on the Kinect technology though because Kinect has been one of the best selling gaming properties this year.

What it all comes down too though is fan demand for it. Like you. You probably want a new system, and gaming companies aren't going to ignore that. I'm not a hardcore gamer, don't know if you are. I play MK, Assassin's creed, Resident Evil, and more recently Rayman(lol). That's about it though as far as that goes. Yeah there are others that appeal to me like Left4dead but they haven't released a new one of those in years. Anyway the point is, I'm not really a hardcore gamer, and as a normal consumer I don't want a new system. I have spent plenty of money on this one. Especially because the warranty ran out on my old 360 and when I found out it would be roughly $150 to fix it I just decided to buy a new one. So, I've spent a lot of money on microsoft. I don't want to have to spend more in a year or so. I don't think a majority of consumers will either. Of course they will though if Microsoft or Sony announces a new system. Because that's just how it goes, out with the old in with the new. I'm just not quite ready for the new yet though.

Medina4life

Media Master
Ps3 will have lasted independently 7 full years if the new console comes out Winter 2013. Games will most likely be continued to be made for it for at least 2 years so yea... I still see around a 10 year lifespan.

Flagg

Noob
I know, but I also remember representatives for both Sony and Microsoft expressed that Xbox 360 and PS3 were supposed to break that mold. While the PC may be better for games, it doesn't appeal for all gamers. That's why you will find some people asking for games to be ported to PC. It's just not as large of a market as the consoles are, gaming wise that is. Normal consumers are not willing to pay that much money for console's or PC's either.

Hell, both the Kinect and the PS Move were said to have extended the lifespan of both the Xbox and the PS3 respectively. I would say that Sony and Nintendo both probably want their hands on the Kinect technology though because Kinect has been one of the best selling gaming properties this year.

What it all comes down too though is fan demand for it. Like you. You probably want a new system, and gaming companies aren't going to ignore that. I'm not a hardcore gamer, don't know if you are. I play MK, Assassin's creed, Resident Evil, and more recently Rayman(lol). That's about it though as far as that goes. Yeah there are others that appeal to me like Left4dead but they haven't released a new one of those in years. Anyway the point is, I'm not really a hardcore gamer, and as a normal consumer I don't want a new system. I have spent plenty of money on this one. Especially because the warranty ran out on my old 360 and when I found out it would be roughly $150 to fix it I just decided to buy a new one. So, I've spent a lot of money on microsoft. I don't want to have to spend more in a year or so. I don't think a majority of consumers will either. Of course they will though if Microsoft or Sony announces a new system. Because that's just how it goes, out with the old in with the new. I'm just not quite ready for the new yet though.
My PC is pretty old now. If I want to play a game like Skyrim or Diablo 3, and I have to hope they get converted to console (as Skyrim did). I'm in no hurry to get a new console. When I was a kid, I had tons of games on the SNES. When I got the n64, again I got tons. As I got older I thought "hmm, im spending a lot of money on these consoles for them to change so quick". At that point I sort of switched alliegence to Sega as I only got the Saturn and Dreamcast purely for fighting games. The 360 was the first console I got after the Dreamcast died. If a new console came out next year, I wouldn't be in line to buy it. I'd be interested in the line up, but id definitely wait till it came down in price, if I even got another console. These days im extremely fussy about what game I get. I've moved away from FPS a bit now. I still like fighting games, but only if I can play against human opponents. Same with RTS. RPG's are the only games I like playing single player.

Subby Z

Noob
My PC is pretty old now. If I want to play a game like Skyrim or Diablo 3, and I have to hope they get converted to console (as Skyrim did). I'm in no hurry to get a new console. When I was a kid, I had tons of games on the SNES. When I got the n64, again I got tons. As I got older I thought "hmm, im spending a lot of money on these consoles for them to change so quick". At that point I sort of switched alliegence to Sega as I only got the Saturn and Dreamcast purely for fighting games. The 360 was the first console I got after the Dreamcast died. If a new console came out next year, I wouldn't be in line to buy it. I'd be interested in the line up, but id definitely wait till it came down in price, if I even got another console. These days im extremely fussy about what game I get. I've moved away from FPS a bit now. I still like fighting games, but only if I can play against human opponents. Same with RTS. RPG's are the only games I like playing single player.
Yeah, see that's what I'm saying. You say that as you got older you started to really think about how much money you were spending, and I think that's finally where we have arrived in gaming. See the first systems like the NES and such were made in what the 80's? Gaming in general hasn't been around THAT long. A good 25 to 30 years I would say. So, naturally it has took consumers time to figure out that, Hey these gaming companies are ripping us off. They make these new systems, and we spend all of this money only for another one to be out in 5 years. So, now we have reached the point where these companies need to update rather than make a whole new system outright. I don't want to spend 400 to 500 dollars for a whole new system, but I may be willing to spend 150 on a new update or something new for the system. Like the Wii fit for Wii. It was 80 bucks. The Kinect I think is $150. I don't know though because mine came with the system.

We as consumers are growing, and these companies have to adapt to us. I don't want to spend money on a new system when I just got my original 360 in 2006, and my most recent one at the beginning of 2011. Too much money. Plus with a new system there will be kinks like the red ring, and that's going to make me cautious of buying a new system on release since I got burnt by the 360. I want to be able to play MK10, but if it's released on new console's then I may just have to wait. I'm getting some more time out of my 360.

Korpse

PTH | Korpse
Honestly, only the truly hardcore buy next Gens on their release date, the rest of us usually wait like six months to a year since the lineup launch games are all usually ass except for like one or two games, plus they continue to make games for the previous gen for like two years on top of that. I won't care so long a Sony and Microsoft continue to support the previous gen for at least a year and a half, that is usually the time it takes for good quality games to arrive on the platform. Oh and the price better not increase, sixty dollars is already pushing it, at seventy, i'm out.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Subby Z

Noob
Honestly, only the truly hardcore buy next Gens on their release date, the rest of us usually wait like six months to a year since the lineup launch games are all usually ass except for like one or two games, plus they continue to make games for the previous gen for like two years on top of that. I won't care so long a Sony and Microsoft continue to support the previous gen for at least a year and a half, that is usually the time it takes for good quality games to arrive on the platform. Oh and the price better not increase, sixty dollars is already pushing it, at seventy, i'm out.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
Yeah, I've seen a couple of articles where people criticize the 60 dollar games. Some say they are dying. I would have to agree. First, our economy is crap right now, that's not a surprise to anyone. So, the 60 dollars has to go. People can buy games for 5 dollars on their phones now that can waste their time. Gaming companies are going to have to step it up when it comes to pricing these things. Anything higher than 60 dollars is going to be an automatic no go. Because people are barely willing to pay 60 now. Hell, I wanted RE:Operation Raccoon City but I wasn't willing to pay 60 dollars for it. So, now it has recently went down to 40, and I'm sure in another few months it will drop some more so I'm just going to wait til then to get it. I'm not paying 60 bucks for something that will go down over time.

Subby Z

Noob
Holy hell bingsoo I just noticed that info you posted on the next X-box and I have to say I see a major fail in process. If almost any of that stuff takes place then the system will be ruined. First off, no used games is a BAAAD idea. I've heard those rumors before reading and have thought that would be a major blow in the first place.

Second, Internet connection at all times would immediately alienate some right off the bat. This may sound crazy but I live in the country and unless I got to my mom's house then I can't get an internet connection and neither can anyone in my area. That may seem old fashioned, but it's true not everyone can get a good internet connection. Bad Microsoft that's just horrible, HORRIBLE.

The last was all downloads. Again, WTF? That would just play more into the whole internet thing again. I guess I won't be getting a new system if this is what they are coming too. Maybe 10 to 15 years in the future I would highly suggest some of this, but I can't see any of this being good even for the next five years. Microsoft does not seem to have a good gameplan if this is it going forward.

Holy hell bingsoo I just noticed that info you posted on the next X-box and I have to say I see a major fail in process. If almost any of that stuff takes place then the system will be ruined. First off, no used games is a BAAAD idea. I've heard those rumors before reading and have thought that would be a major blow in the first place.

Second, Internet connection at all times would immediately alienate some right off the bat. This may sound crazy but I live in the country and unless I got to my mom's house then I can't get an internet connection and neither can anyone in my area. That may seem old fashioned, but it's true not everyone can get a good internet connection. Bad Microsoft that's just horrible, HORRIBLE.

The last was all downloads. Again, WTF? That would just play more into the whole internet thing again. I guess I won't be getting a new system if this is what they are coming too. Maybe 10 to 15 years in the future I would highly suggest some of this, but I can't see any of this being good even for the next five years. Microsoft does not seem to have a good gameplan if this is it going forward.
From all the news and rumors I'm hearing, both Sony and Microsoft are designing their consoles to fight against used games. Sony actually considered making the PS4 online-only. It's not just Microsoft.

The thing is, it takes a LOT of money to develop games, and when people buy used games or rent copies, it hurts the developers the most. The developers made their stance against used games to Sony and Microsoft, and now the direction both companies are taking is towards anti-used games, which sucks. Either all the games will be digital downloads or there will be one-time use codes, which make it so that games can't be played on multiple accounts.

My guess is that both Sony and Microsoft will delay the release of their next gen consoles enough for MK10 to be released on PS3 and 360.

Or at least that's what I'm hoping.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Maaaaaan....

I so wanna make a "why you no like change" Injustice type post here... but... I'm too nice for that. And I like mr. box. lol
Lol. It's not even that I don't like change, I just think the current generation systems are still strong and advanced enough on their own and being modded and added on to over the years that they aren't in dire need of being phased out, especially when people are a lot more inclined to spend small amounts of money on gadgets they already have than to put out huge amounts of money for brand new gear, games and gadgetry they likely wouldn't be able to afford to splurge on.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Lol. It's not even that I don't like change, I just think the current generation systems are still strong and advanced enough on their own and being modded and added on to over the years that they aren't in dire need of being phased out, especially when people are a lot more inclined to spend small amounts of money on gadgets they already have than to put out huge amounts of money for brand new gear, games and gadgetry they likely wouldn't be able to afford to splurge on.
lol, I know and I agree with you. I know I don't wanna buy a whole other console any time soon.

I was just pointing out that I could easily be a dick about not liking change cause a new console (Injustice) wouldn't be the same as the old one. (MK9) :p

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
lol, I know and I agree with you. I know I don't wanna buy a whole other console any time soon.

I was just pointing out that I could easily be a dick about not liking change cause a new console (Injustice) wouldn't be the same as the old one. (MK9) :p
Very true. And in some ways, it is gonna be really weird adjusting from what I've been used to for soooooo long with MK9, but at the same time, that's exactly why I'm so excited about this; the only other 2 games in all of the FGC that really interest me are either too regal, floofy and unsubstantial in story (SCV), or way too gimmicky and riddled with booty glitches for me to really wanna invest in (SFXT)...So to have something new to look forward to from the MK camp that's not only likely to be tested and tried out from here to hell and back by people who cut their teeth on MK9, but is a completely upside-down and sideways brand spanky new experience compared to all its predecessors as far as its contents and what's gonna unfold on the field of battle is an awesome thing to have on the calendar :D.