What's new

MK1 Tier List Discussion Thread

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
What a wild tier list. I love the “Ashrah” and “Sub-Zero” tiers, lol.

I know Raiden finally got hit, but I feel like having him so low is a bit over dramatic. I think he’s still just barely in the top 10.

Cage is also way too low. Imo Cage is still top 3 (personally I still think he’s one of the best characters. But maybe I’m just biased because he’s a horrid MU for Scorpion).

KL being 3rd I don’t get at all. I’ve never thought he was a top tier character in this game.

I don’t necessarily mind the Ermac placement on any tier list since he’s so new. He seems like a for sure top 8 or so character but it’s still really early for him.

rifraf

Noob

I know Raiden finally got hit, but I feel like having him so low is a bit over dramatic. I think he’s still just barely in the top 10.

Cage is also way too low. Imo Cage is still top 3 (personally I still think he’s one of the best characters. But maybe I’m just biased because he’s a horrid MU for Scorpion).

KL being 3rd I don’t get at all. I’ve never thought he was a top tier character in this game.

I don’t necessarily mind the Ermac placement on any tier list since he’s so new. He seems like a for sure top 8 or so character but it’s still really early for him.
Competitively speaking, you know what I feel is super frustrating with characters like Ashrah in this game? She has a very cool design, her moves look amazing, her kit is complete and powerful, BUT... all her setplays and more importantly her power is just too easy. Can you imagine MK9 Kabal being even as remotely hype enough as he was if his execution barrier was as low as Ashrahs? Hell no. Same goes with Raiden, and even Kenshi.

Imo, they have to reshuffle the top 10 when the expansion launches. Too easy characters that also are too powerful create a boring game, competitively.

Ptehu

Prince of Edenia
yea, he is getting a bit overdramatic (is that even a word?) in terms of Sub Zero, but I have watched his streams and he has this weird ability to actually attract bugs/strange situations while playing.

And I've watched (on 1.5x) his whole explanation and he seems to have a good point in most of the cases.

rifraf

Noob
He has lots of ranked hours clocked in and he's always playing at top ranks. I think he's a good player but that doesn't mean anyone should take his tier list as a gospel.

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile

Kung lao with janet is def a top character. You get almost 40% off of a single fast safe armored launcher lol.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Competitively speaking, you know what I feel is super frustrating with characters like Ashrah in this game? She has a very cool design, her moves look amazing, her kit is complete and powerful, BUT... all her setplays and more importantly her power is just too easy. Can you imagine MK9 Kabal being even as remotely hype enough as he was if his execution barrier was as low as Ashrahs? Hell no. Same goes with Raiden, and even Kenshi.

Imo, they have to reshuffle the top 10 when the expansion launches. Too easy characters that also are too powerful create a boring game, competitively.
The powerful setplay in this game is by far the most frustrating aspect of this game for me competitively. It turns a fun game into a boring one. Not just to play or play against, but also to watch. I’ve already talked about this a few times before though, so won’t get into another rant about it.

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
These tier lists are wild. They change more than I change my undies.

This week we have Ashrah OP, a couple of days before that,Tanya OP out of nowhere, Sindel OP, Kenshi OP, Johnny OP etc etc.

Seriously, it is hard to take any of these lists serously,

This week we have Ashrah OP, a couple of days before that,Tanya OP out of nowhere, Sindel OP, Kenshi OP, Johnny OP etc etc.

All of those characters can be op tho…? Honestly that’s a pretty good top 5 right there lol

You should change underwear more.

Do you play the game very well? Do you have your own opinions? Do you have a rebuttal to those placements?

Hard to take a tier list that puts 80% of the cast in s an s+ seriously.

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
Where did "Reiko is top 10/5" come from for some people? I know Tremor bumped him up a decent amount, but was it really THAT much? He always came across to me as solidly upper mid, not top tier.

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
You should change underwear more.

Do you play the game very well? Do you have your own opinions? Do you have a rebuttal to those placements?
Look, if you want to believe that some different character is suddenly god tier every week and pretend someone else was not last week, far be it for me to argue. You can fanboy all you want, I guess I am just not a brown noser.

Tier lists are fun, and I enjoy seeing them and hearing people's opinions, but I have never seen a game where placements constantly changing so dramatically:

Ashrah is now god tier, but was not last week. Tanya no longer #1 and was comparatively shit listed a few weeks ago, Baraka goes up and down like a yo-yo, Li Mei is S tier and Shao suddenly S+++ tier when they were both regularly identified as B Tier and/or one of the worst 5 since the game came out.

That is fine - I don't care, and I am not arguing that anyone is right or wrong. My point is, tier lists are usually fairly static with a few placements going up and down a little, so it is harder to take serious because there will be another flavour of the week in a few days. There will also be another person like you getting snarky because someone comments on it.

Last edited:

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Look, if you want to believe that some different character is suddenly god tier every week and pretend someone else was not last week, far be it for me to argue. You can fanboy all you want, I guess I am just not a brown noser.

Tier lists are fun, and I enjoy seeing them and hearing people's opinions, but I have never seen a game where placements constantly changing so dramatically:

Ashrah is now god tier, but was not last week. Tanya no longer #1 and was comparatively shit listed a few weeks ago, Baraka goes up and down like a yo-yo, Li Mei is S tier and Shao suddenly S+++ tier when they were both regularly identified as B Tier and/or one of the worst 5 since the game came out.

That is fine - I don't care, and I am not arguing that anyone is right or wrong. My point is, tier lists are usually fairly static with a few placements going up and down a little, so it is harder to take serious because there will be another flavour of the week in a few days. There will also be another person like you getting snarky because someone comments on it.
That’s true to an extent when it comes to a person’s tier list to their next one. But the only time there is any consistency is when the game hasn’t changed in awhile. Aka no patches and no new characters have been added. And even then, there’s a lot of disagreements on tier placements.

All that said, tier lists should always be taken with a grain of salt and they also aren’t anywhere near as important as people think they are. They’re more just for discussion and to try and help newer players if they want a quick rundown of how good a character is relative to the cast. Other than that and the discussions, tier lists are largely irrelevant.

I just wanted you to say something of substance, but no dice. Sorry for the snark, my guy. I'd say your initial message could've been interpreted that way, as well.

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
We did have a Reiko win a regional tourny yesterday. And in the same day, we had a Shao vs Sub grand finals on texas showdown. The game's balance right now is better than it has ever been in any NRS game. A few adjustments here and there (slight buffs, perhaps some new properties or new moves for characters like Nitara) is honestly all I feel is needed going forward. I still hate Peacemaker and Omni-man though.

NHDR

Noob
Take this with a grain of salt as I am not a tournament-level player, but I don't see that Raiden dropped to anything less than 'A' tier. I've been using him with Kano and the safe storm cell setup is still there. Yes, its less safe and you have to be slightly more careful, but he still has his tools. He just happened to be braindead before, hence 'S' tier, but now he's still very strong but requires a bit of planning and caution.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Take this with a grain of salt as I am not a tournament-level player, but I don't see that Raiden dropped to anything less than 'A' tier. I've been using him with Kano and the safe storm cell setup is still there. Yes, its less safe and you have to be slightly more careful, but he still has his tools. He just happened to be braindead before, hence 'S' tier, but now he's still very strong but requires a bit of planning and caution.
Yeah it’s a bit weird. People seem to think that because Raiden has to participate more in the actual game now that that makes him somehow bad or low tier.

LEGEND

YES!
I've always been against Raiden being considered top tier. Nothing he has is particularly oppressive once you are able to flawless block with any kind of consistency. Just a solid character with a very oppressive knowledge check.

Now that his knowledge check has been toned down his true placement is being realized.

I think reiko has gone up since he hasn’t been nerfed ever and some characters above him have been
He got a slight nerf on his command grab. It scales more off combos back when Darrius was his main pick. But now Tremor is his best friend. +100 Hp, faster CD for command grab and tackle combos, armored launcher, crystallized armor, and Tremor's up punch off of ex shurikens.