What's new

MK has never had consistency

Well, at least I think so.

Each iteration of Mortal Kombat has had a different style of gameplay/engine, the one thing remotely similar across the MK games were character specials, even that was sometimes altered throughout each game.

As opposed to SF, every time I see a SF game, the engine is always the same, you have your HML Kicks/Punches, and the combos look usually the same.

My question is, should future MKs keep the same fightstyle such as SF. Where, if you do 321 with Reptile in MK10, it'd be the same as MK9.

What are your thoughts.

miloPKL

soundcloud.com/pukelization
the high jab low jab high kick low kick was the MK system. the 3d mks were all shit because they abandoned that consistency. mk9 is the first mk to be good enough to get away with abandoning that system.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Well, in terms of the first 3 MK games they're consistent with the punches, kick, block button etc

I think it's relative as to what you're referring to.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Only thing that's been consistent about SF is the specials, specific combos and frame links have varied throughout each iteration. Man I remember how many dumbasses from SSF4 tried to bring their scrubby pokestrings to 3SO when it first released on PSN, lmao..

Anyhow, keep specials, experiment with different normals and strings, that's generally how the intricacies of 2D fighters progress..

Tim Static

Adminerator
Well, in terms of the first 3 MK games they're consistent with the punches, kick, block button etc

I think it's relative as to what you're referring to.
yes, MK1-MK2 were little brother, big brother but the run button changed everything. Then MK4 came after UMK3 and we were all like...

Then everything went downhill in a hurry...

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
yes, MK1-MK2 were little brother, big brother but the run button changed everything. Then MK4 came after UMK3 and we were all like...
Well, yeah that's what I'm referring to the HP, HK, Block etc. Run obviously altered the gameplay a lot. Personally, I don't mind the slight changes, it shows they're not afraid to change. Of course, it's a risk but rather play something similar with some differences rather then the same game over and over *cough SF*cough Tekken*cough*

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
You sure? I could've sworn the old MKs had P1 advantage...why would they randomly decide to start doing that in MK9 then? =/
Yes it would be random advantage. I think it alternated each round, but it may be it alternates each match. However, P1 does have some weird advantages in UMK3, such as with Jax, you can still do other specials while holding LK (ground pound charge) but you can't on P2 side. Something like that.

Espio

Kokomo
The cast should be kept, add on 10 or so new characters to keep it fresh, keep everyone's specials, possibly add some new ones, same goes for combos and normals, keep some change/add more. MK10 should be a step up of this game, while keeping the things people liked about this game such as the accessibility, roster and things of that nature.

Tim Static

Adminerator
MK4 when it came out, was stupid. It was helped tremendously by how bad the next decade of games were.

Think about it. MK4 should have been a continuation of the UMK3 engine. But they not only went a different direction but pretty much started from scratch using a completely different engine from the ground up. Only thing that remained was the button layout. Back in the late 90's-Early 2000's NO ONE wanted to play MK4, but after realizing how much better MK4 was compared to MKDA, MKD, MKA & MKvDC, it made MK4 seem a lot better than it really was. Had we had great MK after the MK 4 we got, it would be obsolete.....even more obsolete than it really is, considering the only viable version of the game is the straight up jamma board. no "port" was worthy, even tho the N64 was the best, it still isnt "MK4".