What's new

MAT: Consensus Top 3 (5/29/16)

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
Mileena. Alien. Takeda.

Take a combined index of recent offline and online results and can there be any question? The scope of this analysis is top 3 only, not top 5 and not a comprehensive tier list. All three variations considered as part of the complete character. Only Mileena makes top three on strength of single variation. Alien qualifies based on the strength of two (acidic, tarkatan), as does Takeda (SR, ronin).

Tier lists in general are the source of inifinite shitstorms. It would probably even be a shitstorm to determine numbers four and five. Top 3, however, can be a consensus view based on objective review of cumulative online and offline results. What evidence is there to contradict the conclusion that those three characters are at the top of the food chain?

Baconlord

Proud follower of the church of Cetrion
mileena and alien are a lock but the third spot is up for debate. I would put kano in that spot but you could make an argument for johnny, takeda, d'voarah, and shinnok to take that spot.

E

Eldriken

Hard to say. Game's a lot more balanced than it used to be.

I would probably agree with Mileena and definitely with Alien. Idk about Takeda. He doesn't strike me as top 3 but he's definitely good.

If I had to throw a name in to replace Takeda, probably Kano or Johnny.
I'd say Takeda is definitely a strong contender for top 3. Maybe not quite there, but he's right on the cusp.

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
Show me his match up chart. ;-)
The format is in Kano vs. Character, so 6-4 means Kano's favor.

Alien: 5-5
Jason: 6-4 or 5-5, haven't had too much MU experience post past
Kung Lao: 6-4
Jax: 6-4

Sonya: 5-5
Kenshi: 6-4
Kitana: 5-5
Scorpion: 6-4
Sub-Zero: 4-6
Mileena: 5-5
Takeda: 5-5
Cassie: 6-4
Jacqui: 6-4

Kung Jin: 5-5
Tanya: Nobody knows
Bo Rai Cho: 7-3
Leatherface: 6-4, most likely. Not enough experience
Predator: 5-5
Shinnok: 5-5
Johnny Cage: 5-5
Erron Black: 6-4
Liu Kang: 6-4

Ermac: 5-5
Kotal Kahn: 6-4
Reptile: 6-4
Ferra Torr: 6-4

D'Vorah: 5-5
Raiden: 6-4
Quan Chi: 5-5
Goro: 6-4
Tremor: 6-4

Triborg: Too much complications, Sektor's most likely the best variation and he's played the least so IDK.

1 Losing MU
16 Winning MUs
13 Even MUs
2 Unknown MUs
Good enough for you?

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
The format is in Kano vs. Character, so 6-4 means Kano's favor.

Alien: 5-5
Jason: 6-4 or 5-5, haven't had too much MU experience post past
Kung Lao: 6-4
Jax: 6-4

Sonya: 5-5
Kenshi: 6-4
Kitana: 5-5
Scorpion: 6-4
Sub-Zero: 4-6
Mileena: 5-5
Takeda: 5-5
Cassie: 6-4
Jacqui: 6-4

Kung Jin: 5-5
Tanya: Nobody knows
Bo Rai Cho: 7-3
Leatherface: 6-4, most likely. Not enough experience
Predator: 5-5
Shinnok: 5-5
Johnny Cage: 5-5
Erron Black: 6-4
Liu Kang: 6-4

Ermac: 5-5
Kotal Kahn: 6-4
Reptile: 6-4
Ferra Torr: 6-4

D'Vorah: 5-5
Raiden: 6-4
Quan Chi: 5-5
Goro: 6-4
Tremor: 6-4

Triborg: Too much complications, Sektor's most likely the best variation and he's played the least so IDK.

1 Losing MU
16 Winning MUs
13 Even MUs
2 Unknown MUs
Good enough for you?
Where is this coming from?

errormacro7

Official Sonya simp
Well, my opinion on this is that Alien and Mileena are solidified. The third spot is debatable. Could be a bunch of characters.

I don't play any of the characters already mentioned above, at least not at a high level, so I'm gonna comment on the character I play.

Demolition Sonya has probably 2 or 3 losing MUs in the game, then goes 5-5 or beats the rest of the characters. And yet no one seems to talk about how ridiculous she is because she has always been a solid character anyway. All I see is "OMG Alien is so cheap and broken!1!1!!"

We think non-top tier characters getting buffed to top tier status is more hype, so Takeda, Mileena and Kano get all the attention.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
Me and various other Kano players MU experiences.
Some of those numbers are questionable, but at least there's some semblance of substance there.

Simply assigning numbers to characters 1-3 furthers no one's knowledge and accomplishes nothing. You can argue tools from dawn 'til dusk but it doesn't amount to a whole lot. Just my thoughts, not so much at you, specifically.

Mileena and Alien no doubt. Takeda definetely a contender but I'd say most people, or at least most opinions I've seen would have cage,Kano, or d'vorah there.

stamatis

Όσα δε φτάνει η αλεπού. ........
Hard to say. Game's a lot more balanced than it used to be.

I would probably agree with Mileena and definitely with Alien. Idk about Takeda. He doesn't strike me as top 3 but he's definitely good.

If I had to throw a name in to replace Takeda, probably Kano or Johnny.
Yeah,tell this thing about balancing to my bojutsu.