What's new

Breakthrough - Boneshaper Making Shinnok's B+3 Overhead Safer on Block

REO

Undead
Hey, everyone. I'm not sure how well this is known since I barely see anyone talking about it and instead see many players saying B+3 overhead is easy to punish and very unsafe. So I'm here to bring some tech we've discovered today where you can make Shinnok's B+3 overhead difficult to punish. In many cases, it's 100% safe vs many characters of the cast which can prove as useful tech.

How it works:

Shinnok''s B+3 overhead has 11 frames of block disadvantage and 4 active frames. With proper spacing, you can make the overhead hit at later active frames essentially decreasing it's overall negative frames on block. So in "theory" with the best possible application, you should be able to connect the B+3 on the last possible active frame being the 4th frame, and reducing it's negative frame data down to -8 (from -11).

Why does this work? It's because the block stun for B+3 remains the same REGARDLESS of blocking the attack on it's first active frame or last.

Example 1:
Non spaced B+3 VS a well spaced B+3:

Here's another situation in where you can apply it in real game as a common set up:

Example 2:

You can also apply this to hard knock down set-ups and create meaty situations where the B+3 will hit at later frames making it very difficult to punish.

CHARACTERS WHO CAN'T PUNISH PROPERLY SPACED B+3 OR A MEATY B+3: (STILL A WORK IN PROGRESS)

Jason
Quan Chi
Mileena
Kitana
Ferra Torr
Takeda
Jacqui
Liu Kang
Goro
Sub-Zero
Erron Black
Jax
Sonya
Kenshi
Johnny Cage

If I'm missing any characters above, please post here and I will update to the list. Anyone who can help us test is welcome and very appreciated.

Last edited:

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Hey, everyone. I'm not sure how well this is known since I barely see anyone talking about it and instead see many players saying B+3 overhead is easy to punish and very unsafe. So I'm here to bring some tech we've discovered today where you can make Shinnok's B+3 overhead difficult to punish. In many cases, it's 100% safe vs many characters of the cast which can prove as useful tech.

How it works:

Shinnok''s B+3 overhead has 11 frames of block disadvantage and 4 active frames. With proper spacing, you can make the overhead hit at later active frames essentially decreasing it's overall negative frames on block. So in "theory" with the best possible application, you should be able to connect the B+3 on the last possible active frame being the 4th frame, and reducing it's negative frame data down to -8 (from -11).

Why does this work? It's because the block stun for B+3 remains the same REGARDLESS of blocking the attack on it's first active frame or last.

Example 1:
Non spaced B+3 VS a well spaced B+3:

Here's another situation in where you can apply it in real game as a common set up:

Example 2:

You can also apply this to hard knock down set-ups and create meaty situations where the B+3 will hit at later frames making it very difficult to punish.

CHARACTERS WHO CAN'T PUNISH PROPERLY SPACED B+3: (STILL A WORK IN PROGRESS)

Jason
Quan Chi
Mileena
Kitana
Ferra Torr
Takeda
Jacqui
Liu Kang
Goro
Sub-Zero
Erron Black
Jax
Sonya
Kenshi
Johnny Cage

If I'm missing any characters above, please post here and I will update to the list. Anyone who can help us test is welcome and very appreciated.
"Everyone can punish it" -
WoundCowboy
That is all

True Grave

Giving The Gift Of Graves
Nerf train is coming... and it's coming fast and hard.

Well actually, we don't know for sure how fast. THANKS NETHERREALM STUDIOS FOR THE COMMUNICATION.
It's impending :):(:mad:

I honestly don't care what they do at this point. It's seems to me like we're going to just get one more patch and then NRS will wash their hand of this game. At best we might see two DLC characters tops, but then that means more patches. If it's already been this long and now we're just playing the waiting game. I think we got fortunate with IGAU having 6 DLC characters.

cR WoundCowboy

WoundCowbae <3
These both can be blown up lol. Both of those situations leave a gap where the opponent can armor. Also, in the first video, the low is not in range. This means that there is not only a gap because of the frames that it takes for him to move but also that he can't 50/50 you if he does that. This is nothing new.

The Farmer

Gunslinger since pre ptch -Shout out 2 Youphs 2015
These both can be blown up lol. Both of those situations leave a gap where the opponent can armor. Also, in the first video, the low is not in range. This means that there is not only a gap because of the frames that it takes for him to move but also that he can't 50/50 you if he does that. This is nothing new.
Are you saying that you just have to recognize the spaceing in that short amount of time to come to the conclusion that he cannot do the low but only the overhead?

StealthyMuffin

Earth's Mightiest Knucklehead
Okay so if it hits meaty then it's safer? hah

Only in a NRS game would this be thread worthy :) No offense.
The fact that it can be straight up safe sometimes does seem thread worthy. But, yeah. Meaties being safer in their later active frames should be common knowledge at this point.

REO

Undead
Shinnok can literally just run up a step and use his seven frame F+4 low in a blink of an eye, lol. Also regardless of the range, he always has the threat of his 15 frame low Scepter Slam.