What's new

Let's Kick Shell!!! Have fun re-imagining a new TMNT fighting game!

Noob
Ok, so the Turtles have been a long obsession of mine and I've ALWAYS wanted a great TMNT fighter. The problem is that TMNT Tournament Fighters on SNES and Genesis were never GREAT. Fun, but not great and actually both games had differences.

Time to have some fun and re-imagine a TMNT fighting game with play styles and characters!

I'll start by saying I would prefer to see a Mortal Kombat-esque style, with 4 attack buttons and a block button. I prefer that over back to block, but if you're on an MK site, I assume most would, LOL.

Dashes, with block cancelling like MK9.

Juggle system like MK.

Chip damage on block like MK.

Meter - Dual meter system similar to SF4 with changes.

Super Meter allows a super move - can cancel from normals and specials into super - fills by doing damage to opponent or opponent blocking moves. Do less damage than Shell moves.

Shell Meter(aka ultra meter/x ray meter) - can cancel from normals and specials into shell move - fills by TAKING damage - acts as a comeback factor move.

EX moves - take away from SHELL meter - need to choose between using EX moves to enhance combos or doing comeback moves.

Breakers - Similar to MK9 with changes:
-take from SUPER meter (3/4 of the meter)
-Can break any grounded combo
-CANNOT break combos when you're in the air(encourages you to look for juggle combos)

Armor - More along the lines of SF4 with armored moves: Each character will also have 1-2 ARMOR BREAKING moves.

Throws - Again, similar to MK9 where they are duckable in an offensive crouch. The whiffed throw, however, will have MUCH more recovery meaning that if you sniff out a throw, you can actually punish it.

Throw teching - complete change from MK9 to a SF style tech.

*New Addition* - Particularly meant to combat the lack of air combo breakers:
Juggle Protection - This requires full use of SHELL meter: When you enter this state while being juggled, ALL damage done to you will be cut by 50% and the other 50% will be dealt to the opponent. The shell meter acts as a countdown timer and if the opponent lets you fall you REMAIN in this state until the timer ends, you will do 150% damage while only taking 50% yourself, forcing the juggling person to choose between ending his combo or dropping it and taking his chances.

Characters: (I will work on movesets another time/if I feel like it)

Leonardo

Donatello

Michelangelo

Raphael

Splinter - will have a similar moveset to Hamato Yoshi with "Rat" specific moves that HY cannot perform

Hamato Yoshi(Splinter's owner) - will have similar moveset to Splinter with additional moves that Splinter as a rat could not perform.

Shredder - Stronger than Oroku Saki, takes less damage due to armor.

Oroku Saki(Shredder out of his armor) - not as much training, takes more damage, faster character. Similar moveset.

Karai

Venus De Milo (yup, the female ninja turtle from "The Next Mutation") - fights with fans like Kitana(google it)

Casey Jones

April

Metal Head (robotic Turtle)

Beebop

Rocksteady

Tokka

Rahzar

Foot Ninja (human)

Foot Ninja (robotic) different movesets

Baxter Stockman (fly)

Baxter Stockman (human) - different movesets - This one fights using mainly Mousers

Krang (1980's) - big, giant grappler type character but FAST(due to jetpacks on the back of the body)

Rat King

Slash (1980's) - Turtle mutated by Beebop and Rocksteady - strong enough to have taken on all 4 turtles simultaneously and beat them.

Leatherhead

Antrax

General Traag

Granitor

Tengu Shredder - demon form of Shredder while Oroku Saki was possessed.

Ok, I'm done goofing off at work... have at it! Have fun and STAY CIVIL!

Last edited:

SoundsLikePAUSE

Neptune's Beard!!!
Slash would be a beast. Krang would be interesting. I would love a new TMNT fighter. And finally I could live out my dream of seeing Beebop & Rocksteady against Tokka and Rhazar.

C-Sword

Noob
I think the snes one was better, that's the one people over at srk are playing anyway.

Raphael has to be low-tier, because of short-ranged attacks
Donatello would be the keep away guy
Leo the most balanced and easy to learn
Michaelangelo with an acrobatic style.
Shredder fighting like M.Bison

It could be fan-made like MLP and Pokemon Type Wild.

Noob
I think the snes one was better, that's the one people over at srk are playing anyway.

Remember Mileena from MK2? Highest tier with short ranged attacks except her sais. Raph could incorporate other things in order to make him a better character. (besisdes, he's my favorite turtle, so I gotta look for a way to make him S tier, LOL)

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
Baxter Stockman with dat Hawkgirl trait. Who the hell would want to main Foot Clan?

To date, I still personally think the SNES version of Tournament Fighters has been the best version of any Ninja Turtles fighting game.

I would like a new game on a 2D-plane, like Tournament Fighters with a significantly expanded roster.

I like a lot of the classic villains from the turtles series that don't seem to make their way into some of the current-gen shows/movies/etc.

When I have more time, I will expand on what I would like.

SoundsLikePAUSE

Neptune's Beard!!!

Raph has been low tier since the first TMNT NES game. And Donatello was severely over powered. XD

Noob
@9.95 in the new TMNT, April is training with Splinter so personally I would like to see her in it
I know, but I can never get used to the idea of April NOT being a reporter. I grew up on the 1980's series, where she was always being saved by the Turtles. LOL

Noob
To date, I still personally think the SNES version of Tournament Fighters has been the best version of any Ninja Turtles fighting game.

I would like a new game on a 2D-plane, like Tournament Fighters with a significantly expanded roster.

I like a lot of the classic villains from the turtles series that don't seem to make their way into some of the current-gen shows/movies/etc.

When I have more time, I will expand on what I would like.

I agree that the SNES version was superior. What do you think of my mechanics that I listed up top btw?

Noob
@9.95 in the new TMNT, April is training with Splinter so personally I would like to see her in it
Maybe work her in as training under Splinter, but she'd have to be Dan tier because she's still training. Maybe one of her specials is being "saved" by a random turtle or splinter who comes in and fights for her for a set period of time, making her kind of like a Shang character.

I agree that the SNES version was superior. What do you think of my mechanics that I listed up top btw?
I like a lot of the suggestions, especially the Super/Special Meter management stuff.

I personally like the way dash-blocking works in MK9, I think it gives you more defensive freedom and more varied mobility (vs. static dash recovery).

The drawback to having a block-button depending on how you look at it, is that the idea of cross-ups are non-existant so the frame data and offense would need to be refined, more mix-up heavy or frame-trap heavy.

I am picturing something more of a mix between Capcom and MK games. In my opinion Tournament Fighters had more similarities to the Capcom style.

I think I would like having differentiated normal attacks (ie: Street Fighter style) vs. string based offense (ie: MK/Injustice). IMO it worked really well for Tournament Fighters.

Frame-Data needs to be more refined (I don't think this was as important back in the 90's).

I also like your character list, it looks like you've pulled a lot of characters from the comics/roots of Ninja Turtles.

IMO, characters that are a must (Core Roster):

- Leonardo
- Raphael
- Michaelangelo
- Donatello
- Master Splinter
- Casey Jones
- Shredder
- Baxter Stockman (Fly Version)
- Slash
- Metalhead
- Bebop
- Rocksteady
- Leatherhead
- Rat King
- Krang

Noob
I like a lot of the suggestions, especially the Super/Special Meter management stuff.

I personally like the way dash-blocking works in MK9, I think it gives you more defensive freedom and more varied mobility (vs. static dash recovery).

The drawback to having a block-button depending on how you look at it, is that the idea of cross-ups are non-existant so the frame data and offense would need to be refined, more mix-up heavy or frame-trap heavy.

I am picturing something more of a mix between Capcom and MK games. In my opinion Tournament Fighters had more similarities to the Capcom style.

I think I would like having differentiated normal attacks (ie: Street Fighter style) vs. string based offense (ie: MK/Injustice). IMO it worked really well for Tournament Fighters.

Frame-Data needs to be more refined (I don't think this was as important back in the 90's).

I've always felt that differentiated normals would be better, but you can add in the string based offense through proximity; meaning the strings ONLY come out when you're within range, rather than doing combos to the air across the screen. That would make for an interesting system.

Noob
I also like your character list, it looks like you've pulled a lot of characters from the comics/roots of Ninja Turtles.

IMO, characters that are a must (Core Roster):

- Leonardo
- Raphael
- Michaelangelo
- Donatello
- Master Splinter
- Casey Jones
- Shredder
- Baxter Stockman (Fly Version)
- Slash
- Metalhead
- Bebop
- Rocksteady
- Leatherhead
- Rat King
- Krang

I'm a big fan of the core comics/roots of the TMNT and the 1980's cartoon. I would love to see an incorporation of characters from all the Turtles universes though. It would make for more diverse characters and play styles, kind of like Shredder vs. Oroku Saki vs. Tengu Shredder. Each with different play styles based on where they were in training/armor weight/posession, etc, LOL.