What's new

Kickstarter Project: Insert Coin: Inside Midway's '90s Revolution - Project Funded!!

Tim Static

Adminerator
Former Midway employee & Robomodo President/Co-Founder Josh Tsui is producing an amazing documentary about the History of Midway Arcade Games, and to do so, they need your help! He's started a Kickstarter fund to raise money to produce what will become an epic story of the Midway arcade phenomenom of the 90's. For a small taste of things to come, check out this link which features some footage that will be in the documentary:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/joshuatsui/insert-coin-inside-midways-90s-revolution/description

Also, on that link you'll see the perks of different levels of backing pledges you can make. I will be giving them some, and I encourage all of you to try & give what you can. This will be an amazing reflection on a time where Midway were the Kings of the Arcade, and of course, this documentary will feature lots of MK stuff, so please, GET THOSE PLEDGES IN!!

IMG_20150717_144311.jpg

PS - quick update Josh posted after launching this so nobody blows it out proportion:
Screenshot_2015-07-17-14-45-18-1.png

Check out this rare gem w/ Kerri Hoskins (Sonya) & the late Bam Bam Bigelow:

Teaser 1:

Teaser 2:

Teaser 3:

Eugene Jarvis on Artists

Tim Static

Adminerator
Oh. The caption said "Never before released footage." Maybe just a deleted scene from the game.
I remember reading something a while back saying that Sonya was planned as a 2nd playable character for Special Forces, but was cut for some reason.
Yea there was a different version of SF that was shown I think only at the E3 the year before it was supposed to come out (I seriously don't remember what year that was lol) but that version of the game was scrapped and the version that was released was chosen.

Either way, it was a terrible terrible game. :/

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
This is cool, wonder if they'll mention the bad decisions of Midway like going from 2D MK to 3D MK and ruining Mortal Kombat and the franchise and ultimately going bankrupt because of it. And NRS being born and going back to 2D and revitalizing the franchise and community, aka being a huge success.

I'm not trying to diss Midway, I just wish documentaries like this would highlight every aspect, not just the nostalgic feel good stuff that's predictable. Anyway, I hope this gets the backing necessary to be made.

Tim Static

Adminerator
This is cool, wonder if they'll mention the bad decisions of Midway like going from 2D MK to 3D MK and ruining Mortal Kombat and the franchise and ultimately going bankrupt because of it. And NRS being born and going back to 2D and revitalizing the franchise and community, aka being a huge success.

I'm not trying to diss Midway, I just wish documentaries like this would highlight every aspect, not just the nostalgic feel good stuff that's predictable. Anyway, I hope this gets the backing necessary to be made.
Pretty sure this is just about the arcade boom of the 90's fueled by the Midway games. While MK went to crap in 3d, the games still sold well and had nothing to do with Midway's business dealings that made them go bankrupt. MK was the one shining thing they had all the way till the end.

Gamer68

Fujin!
Sad to see no one really talking about this. I think this would be so cool if it happened because we would learn more about the history of Midway and what happened behind the scenes while making big games such as MK. The "Never Before Seen Footage" is an added bonus.

If anyone has Twitter, could you maybe share the link about to try to generate more awareness about this?

So, is this going to be free for the contributors when it comes out?
If you pledge $15 or more you get a free digital download for the movie.