What's new

Under_The_Mayo's Science Series: Bomb Interactables with Differing Properties

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
Warning: Very technical, many crude photos.

So I planted a bomb on the Moon at the WatchTower stage after a hard knockdown, and I got hit with a Wakeup attack but the bomb interrupted the damage, with us both being hit. Then after placing the bomb on the AC unit on the roof of Gotham City, the same wakeup attack hit me after the same hard knockdown, but the bomb didn't explode...

Why?...

It would seem that some wakeup attacks can interrupt an OTG bomb placement on some interactables and not on others.

I recorded the action several times and when they were all compared frame by frame in slow motion, perfectly synched together, some oddities appeared.

1) From the starting frame that the interactable button is hit, the bomb is placed on the Moon a few frames before the AC unit. We're talking maybe 3 to 5 frames.

(Footage slowed to 10%. Look at the difference in timecodes for the starting frame of bomb placement.)

2) The Moon actually explodes about 3 frames after the AC, despite the earlier bomb.

(Another weird note, you'll see in the sound-waves that the second explosion actually happens like 10 frames before the sound effect! Weird.)

Here you can clearly see the bomb being placed on the moon first, but the explosion happens after.

3) The bomb is placed lower on the AC Unit than on the Moon.
(Seen in example 1)

4) Since the bomb plants faster, you jump off the Moon faster.

(Here you see Deathstroke's SwordFlip hitting Catwoman at different distances away from the interactable. From the AC unit, he hits her with the butt of his sword. From the Moon, he hits her with the top of the blade. We can see from this that you are able to reach a further distance away sooner after a bomb plant on the Moon.)

- the bomb explodes a few frames later, giving it a better chance of hitting them after their invincibility frames have worn off.

This may seem negligible, but it means that certain wakeup attacks with the right speed/range combination can stop the planting of bombs on interactables for OTG damage. The factors you have to consider are...
- your hit advantage after the knockdown
- the frames it takes to move to the area to set the bomb (if you need to)
- the speed and range of your opponent's wakeup attack

I tested this over and over from different HKD's and different distances. The AC definitely has different properties than the Moon. So it's likely that every interactable moves/explodes or is grabbed/moved differently even if they appear to be objects that behave identically.

And yes, obviously I've been cooking up something big... This is just an unexpected discovery made in the production of a much grander idea.

davidovitch

In Europe!
Yeah the interactables have this kind of weird stuff, that varies per stage.

For example: If you throw the trash can at someone in the Gotham city street/alley level in the corner, using a gadget character to throw it horizontally (noticed this is the left corner a few times), you can jump over the trash can and start attacking your opponent with a cross-over, hitting them, and then suddenly you can still get hit by the trashcan at the very end of its animation, after it has stopped moving in the direction it was thrown a long time ago, during the sort of 'bounce back into place' ending part of the animation.

Kind of hard to explain, just take it from me interactibles are weird :p