What's new

If everything has a "soul"....

In terms of supernatural experiences, why do human beings only see or mostly report seeing other human spirits, whether evil or good? If there is a God, and we aren't just a system of organs, why doesn't anyone see dinosaur ghosts? I want to see a Tyrannosaurus Rex ghost or a ghost of Megalodon.

Last edited:

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
But it's a living thing, it's not like it's any different from anything else alive.
I think it goes back to the old Christian way of thinking that we as humans are superior and the natural world revolves around us. Not saying I agree with that, but civilization spent a few hundred years thinking animals are tools\beneath us\soulless

In terms of supernatural experiences, why do human beings only see or mostly report seeing other human spirits, whether evil or good? If there is a God, and we aren't just a system of organs, why doesn't anyone see dinosaur ghosts? I want to see a Tyrannosaurus Rex ghost or a ghost of Megalodon.
What if there is a god and we are just a system of organs??? What if there isn't but spirits exist??? What if spirits exist but they are not "supernatural"?

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
I guess the best non-trolly explanation, if ghosts existed, would be that humans have stronger mental capacities in comparison to other species. So a human who was killed would have a reason to stay and attempt to interact with the living world. Animals don't have that kind of awareness, except in some cases with animals like dogs, who can grow emotional attachments with humans. Which is why ghost dogs are a thing I guess

PaletteSwap

Misanthropiate
Well, if one were to buy into the supernatural aspect of having a soul, I think I have a decent explanation of why people mostly report of seeing only human ghosts (though, there are people who claim to see cat and dog spirits, as well as undefined orbs).

One common theme with ghosts seems to be "unfinished business." As far as I can tell, humans (being cursed with abstract thought) are the only species to spend their lifespan obsessing about death, and going out kicking and screaming when death finally comes. With animals, survival is immediate or instinctive, going no further than collecting food for a long winter. There is an absence of arrogance, self importance and a desire for immortality outside of mankind. So of course we'd be the only ones stubborn enough to bind ourselves to the earth, even when our physical form is gone.

I don't know where I stand on any of this. I consider myself an open minded atheist with agnostic leanings, but I'm not sure about ghosts. I believe there is a life force, essence or pneuma; the force behind plants communicating, strange inter species empathy that overrides instinct, etc., but I've never had the horror/honor of witnessing an obvious ghost.

I guess the best non-trolly explanation, if ghosts existed, would be that humans have stronger mental capacities in comparison to other species. So a human who was killed would have a reason to stay and attempt to interact with the living world. Animals don't have that kind of awareness, except in some cases with animals like dogs, who can grow emotional attachments with humans. Which is why ghost dogs are a thing I guess
One could argue that perhaps the universe is not only wired physically but also on an emotional level, and that in order for connect with a spirit there has to be an emotional premise, a method of emotional connection between the deceased and non deceased, and reptiles are not capable of forming this connection.

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
Dinosaur ghosts? I think for their to be Dinosaur ghosts religious types would have to first start by acknowledging they existed and weren't just some "test of faith" and that the world isn't a few thousand years old first.