What's new

I need help with understanding frame data

RampaginDragon

Loses to uppercuts
So as it says, I don't fully understand frame data. Will you guys fill me in on how it works and how to become a frame master and understand it better, use it to my benefit?

As of now I really don't know much. I know moves that have fewer frames are faster... and that some moves give adv. or dis-adv on hit-block ect. And that is what I mainly dont understand or know how to use. I think this is the main way I can level up right now.

I can really see me lacking in this department now, that im picking up Shang, and hopefully this will make that, and everything else easier too. Like AA'ing, I suck at it and don't know how to get better.

Thank you MK community.

Gruntypants

THE MUFFINS ARE BEEFY
I'm glad you took my advice to look at frame data :).

Well basically what you need to memorize is your character's Startup frames, hit advantage frames, and block advantage frames. Recovery frames don't necessarily come in to play but it doesn't hurt to know them either.

So let me give you a run down

Frames are run on a scale of 60 frames per second. For example, 30 frames is half a second.

Take for instance Shang's d1, it is 6 frames so it takes 1/10th of a second for it to hit. On hit it gives 1 frame advantage (which is not very good for a d1). On block it gives -13 frames disadvantage (which is standard for most d1s). So basically you throw out a d1 and it gets blocked, your opponent, after the d1 recovers, will have 13 frames to punish the blocked d1. . The most common punish for a blocked d1 is another blocked d1.

Shang's up skull gives a whopping 30 frame advantage on block meaning you have half of a second of frame advantage.

Also now that I look at it, Shang has pretty bad pokes, his d1 gives barely any frame advantage, his d3 gives a miniscule +3 frame advantage, and his d4 gives only +8 frame advantage. So if you are trying to get better at poking I suggest you don't use Shang.

I can't tell you much about anti-airs with Shang because I don't use him and I can't look it up right now.

Anyways, I hope this helped.

RampaginDragon

Loses to uppercuts
This does help. I think I just need to go through the frame data on some fighters and see what I can and cant do, and come up with some things. Poking and AA'ing... I will master you. Hopfully.

kilnkilagn

Kill-n-Kill Again
Someone want to point me to the frame data, please? I'm searching these forums for it and so far nothing. I saw the MK9 Frame Data Project, but unless that first post was updated after the patches, it's not definitive. Thanks.