What's new

General/Other - Displacer I keep getting asked about my choice to use Displacer.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
So as such, I'm making a post to explain why.

I'm painfully aware that of Raiden's variations, Thunder God is the best one. This variation is built for those who love to go on the offensive, especially if you like long-ranged attack strings that build impressive meter on block while also providing pushback (also a fireball cancel). If Combo Breaker wasn't a demonstration of how overwhelming he can be, I dunno what is.

But at the same time, it doesn't suit my style.

With Displacer, you do lose portions of his powerful offensive, but you gain the teleport. This means that, aside from a few characters in the roster, you're able to run away as much as you like. If they get you to the corner, spend a bar of stamina to teleport yourself behind them and at a distance.

When it comes to the neutral, I was never too good at defending my space. So Displacer Raiden solves that problem for me. Granted, the teleport does have noticeable recovery unless you burn super meter, but with stamina you can mix-up the locations at which you reappear, thereby messing with their reactions.

And you retain the ability to quickly get your corner game going with just one torpedo attack, so screwing up against Raiden is still a death sentence.

P.S. Before anybody comes at me with the question about why I'm still playing MKX after I've stated publicly that I am focusing on Killer Instinct, note that this focus hasn't changed. But as the majority of my scene at Yomi are all over MKX whereas Georgia's KI scene won't get up off its ass to attend our locals, I kinda am short on options. :(

imblackjames

Ive seen the leprechaun
So as such, I'm making a post to explain why.

I'm painfully aware that of Raiden's variations, Thunder God is the best one. This variation is built for those who love to go on the offensive, especially if you like long-ranged attack strings that build impressive meter on block while also providing pushback (also a fireball cancel). If Combo Breaker wasn't a demonstration of how overwhelming he can be, I dunno what is.

But at the same time, it doesn't suit my style.

With Displacer, you do lose portions of his powerful offensive, but you gain the teleport. This means that, aside from a few characters in the roster, you're able to run away as much as you like. If they get you to the corner, spend a bar of stamina to teleport yourself behind them and at a distance.

When it comes to the neutral, I was never too good at defending my space. So Displacer Raiden solves that problem for me. Granted, the teleport does have noticeable recovery unless you burn super meter, but with stamina you can mix-up the locations at which you reappear, thereby messing with their reactions.

And you retain the ability to quickly get your corner game going with just one torpedo attack, so screwing up against Raiden is still a death sentence.

P.S. Before anybody comes at me with the question about why I'm still playing MKX after I've stated publicly that I am focusing on Killer Instinct, note that this focus hasn't changed. But as the majority of my scene at Yomi are all over MKX whereas Georgia's KI scene won't get up off its ass to attend our locals, I kinda am short on options. :(
KI or MKX either way i respect your decision to travel the path less traveled and play displacer

Low Blow

How far have you fallen?
Out of curiousity, what are the best tools that you use for his neutral game? Is it more whiff punishes?

Have no idea what his best options are, he just has so little in these other variations

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
I play MoS raiden kinda for the same reason. I already have offensive character with cassie and really liked the idea of trap characters so I picked up MoS. He still has the kill potential of Raiden it just comes in a less easy spacing oriented fashion.

Keep doing you man!!!

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
Out of curiousity, what are the best tools that you use for his neutral game? Is it more whiff punishes?

Have no idea what his best options are, he just has so little in these other variations
I base my neutral around running away and whiff punishing. Tools I regularly use to punish include standing 1, standing 2, d4, d1, Rising Thunder, and F2.

F2 by itself is around 15 frames and a decent advancing normal. If you do F2 4 or F2 4 4 on block, you're safe because you're only -3 on block at worst, or you can just do F2 to stay at 0. Much better than just cancelling into a blocked Shocker to be at -7, in my opinion, because if the opponent isn't ready for you to stagger your strings you've pretty much reset the playing field.

Also, with Displacer you get an edit to how the second hit of his F2 2+4 string works. Both parts of the string leave you at neutral (or +2 according to the edited data) and if the second hit is blocked, it creates considerable distance. It's also excellent for extending your juggle combos, but you must be precise with how you land it.

B2 has a somewhat good range as well, but I do not recommend it for how absurdly unsafe it is if the first hit is not cancelled into a normal Shocker, which doesn't give you a combo.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Its the new TYM Philosophy: "If your not playing a top variation everyone is playing, you're not playing"

So they just say:
"Play thunder god why play displacer if Thundergod is master race?"
"Play Hellfire, why play Ninjutsu or Inferno if Hellfire is master race?"

OH, why didn't i thought about that in first place?

So sick of these master race players, sniffing around in every corner dictating what varation everyone should be playing, judging a character as a whole by the "master race variation".

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
thought you dropped this game
Read again, please.

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
Cool thread bro.

A reward of 500,000 e-penis enlargement capsules to the man who brings me match footage of JagoBlake's Displacer Raiden actually teleporting.

75,000 capsule bonus if this footage also shows teleport leading to a favorable situation.

I base my neutral around running away and whiff punishing. Tools I regularly use to punish include standing 1, standing 2, d4, d1, Rising Thunder, and F2.

F2 by itself is around 15 frames and a decent advancing normal. If you do F2 4 or F2 4 4 on block, you're safe because you're only -3 on block at worst, or you can just do F2 to stay at 0. Much better than just cancelling into a blocked Shocker to be at -7, in my opinion, because if the opponent isn't ready for you to stagger your strings you've pretty much reset the playing field.

Also, with Displacer you get an edit to how the second hit of his F2 2+4 string works. Both parts of the string leave you at neutral (or +2 according to the edited data) and if the second hit is blocked, it creates considerable distance. It's also excellent for extending your juggle combos, but you must be precise with how you land it.

B2 has a somewhat good range as well, but I do not recommend it for how absurdly unsafe it is if the first hit is not cancelled into a normal Shocker, which doesn't give you a combo.

Your playstyle is more conducive for this variation than mine, I wanted the closest thing to my past mains (smoke/shazam) and hoped this would be an anti-zoning brawler, I don't have your patience to lure people in to whiff punish them, and he doesnt have the TG toolset to be 100% on the offensive the way I want him. I told myself Id just use him vs zoners, but being able to appear behind kenshi isnt much use when I dont have the TG normals to open him up

That last part is why I hate how people want the b2 os nerfed (maybe for TG only? same with f1), they don't realize that landing b2 into shocker is pretty much like me going for a throw, I still throw raw b2 when Ive done enough lows to have earned a good chance theyll duck so I can get a double b2 combo, its still a mind game

Okay I understand that the displacer variation suits your style better, BUT.. when I see you play, you never use the teleport! lol :p I get so frustrated watching you, and not even using the teleport, almost ever :p

BloodyNights

"My kunai will find it's mark."
Okay I understand that the displacer variation suits your style better, BUT.. when I see you play, you never use the teleport! lol :p I get so frustrated watching you, and not even using the teleport, almost ever :p
He used the teleport quite a bit when I used balance Kenshi :p

SirRaven

Teleport tickle fail
I'm displacer all day since launch. I too prefer to travel the road less taken. Teleport is definitely useful but only using either meter or stamina. Certain match-ups, I don't have to use teleport at all but others, it makes things way easier.

Something most people don't seem to know, particularly displacer-haters is that displacer Raiden has a block-string get out of jail free card. Most Raidens that go for his main string into ex shocker go into lockdown if it is blocked. They either say F-it and hope the opponent releases block at end of string to catch them on a lucky punish or they'll attempt to block / counter a retaliation.

Displacer Raiden doesn't need to worry about that. On block, you can teleport out of most of your strings and out of trouble. The part that stinks is unlike TG Raiden, the only way to link b1,4 is by doing ex teleport. TG gets it for free, Displacer has to use meter.

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
LOL "Displacer-hater." Not hate man, it's a weird combination of utter disappointment and mourning.

Nobody's trying to 'keep you down' for using Displacer. The semblance of hate comes from when every now and then some guy comes along and starts saying it's good/worth the time while either offering no explanation for the opinion, or worse, offering up "EX Teleport y'all" like it was a goddamn secret before the grace of their tech-Jesus powers touched the face of the discussion.

I'm sorry but I just sense wisps of "OMFG RAIDEN IS THE GREATEST" fanboyisms being sprayed through a retainer every time it happens. Since like day one, the first time I hit down-up and tried not to die and realized great sadness was to lurk everywhere I went in this game.

I mean seriously, what's the point of even trying to launch a White Knight campaign for Displacer Raiden post-Tanya? It doesn't bother anyone that Raiden has a whole variation meant to specialize in a teleport and not only does it have shitty frames but the only vaguely useable unmetered version prevents you from breaking a punishment combo if it's read? Where as Tanya has the Godlyport across all three variations that have their OWN specialties, has more options from and with the teleport, fucking air teleporting and it never costs any stamina? Fairly pathetic reality, really. Variationless Tanya is more capable than Displacer Raiden. THINK ABOUT IT. Or don't, because it will hurt.

LOL "Displacer-hater." Not hate man, it's a weird combination of utter disappointment and mourning.

Nobody's trying to 'keep you down' for using Displacer. The semblance of hate comes from when every now and then some guy comes along and starts saying it's good/worth the time while either offering no explanation for the opinion, or worse, offering up "EX Teleport y'all" like it was a goddamn secret before the grace of their tech-Jesus powers touched the face of the discussion.

I'm sorry but I just sense wisps of "OMFG RAIDEN IS THE GREATEST" fanboyisms being sprayed through a retainer every time it happens. Since like day one, the first time I hit down-up and tried not to die and realized great sadness was to lurk everywhere I went in this game.

I mean seriously, what's the point of even trying to launch a White Knight campaign for Displacer Raiden post-Tanya? It doesn't bother anyone that Raiden has a whole variation meant to specialize in a teleport and not only does it have shitty frames but the only vaguely useable unmetered version prevents you from breaking a punishment combo if it's read? Where as Tanya has the Godlyport across all three variations that have their OWN specialties, has more options from and with the teleport, fucking air teleporting and it never costs any stamina? Fairly pathetic reality, really. Variationless Tanya is more capable than Displacer Raiden. THINK ABOUT IT. Or don't, because it will hurt.
I was thinking the same thing when watching ceo. "She can teleport like that for free and raiden spends a bar of stamina to be -29 lol" what a joke. That's what Tanya has to be, a joke on Displacer raiden