What's new

Strategy How to deal with zoners as Sub

Well like the topic title says I'm having trouble with getting to ranged chars with sub any advice would be appreciated, Thanks.
P.s chars that I'm having the most trouble with is smoke ermac and scorp and the occasional shang tsung

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Make them come to you. If they don't, and you have a life lead, that's ok because you win by time out.

Wow it is amazing how something so obvious can escape you... anyways thanks but one Q what if they are effective at chipping your block?

Dietician

Deep Animu
Wow it is amazing how something so obvious can escape you... anyways thanks but one Q what if they are effective at chipping your block?
You can't just forward jump a projectile from range to gain distance, or you'll eat a teleport attack/kano ball/whatever from characters that have them.
Cyber sub zero can get around this by immediately going into a dive kick and blocking/parrying to punish that.

For sub zero try a neutral jump. Neutral jump kicks can be timed to beat out that stuff. If they are content letting you jump their projectiles since they're in the lead you'll have to whiff a normal with fast recovery on landing to block the teleport attack and punish.
If they still aren't taking the bait, you can forward jump over a projectile into ice clone and dash on landing. Takes a while but you'll get in eventually. Smoke teleporting through you and repeating will be an enormous pain.

If you catch them trying to punish your jump when you went into ice clone and landed and blocked it then you're already set up for an enhanced slide combo provided you did the ice clone low enough in the air.

Xyero

Noob
That's the thing though, today I fought an extremely annoying mileena who zoned with her projectile which is extremely fast, my freeze isn't fast enough start up to compete with her and even if I neutral jump I still get hit!

Any more advice on how to deal with extremely annoying zoners like that?

Dark_Rob

Noob
That's the thing though, today I fought an extremely annoying mileena who zoned with her projectile which is extremely fast, my freeze isn't fast enough start up to compete with her and even if I neutral jump I still get hit!

Any more advice on how to deal with extremely annoying zoners like that?
With Mileena you are going to have to deal with Sai spam as you work your way in. Thats just the nature of the character. Dash block cancels are your best friend here. She will get maybe 3 Sais off before your to close to risk another, especially if you get into jump distance.

UPR_Nova

Noob
With Mileena you are going to have to deal with Sai spam as you work your way in. Thats just the nature of the character. Dash block cancels are your best friend here. She will get maybe 3 Sais off before your to close to risk another, especially if you get into jump distance.
Dash block, dash block, dash block! Another thing you have to remember when playing as Sub is that he can "slide duck" under certain projectiles. I'm not sure what the exact terminology is here but if the projectile is high enough, you can pull a quick slide under it for a great counter. Sliding under a Reptile acid spit would be the best example of this. This isn't extremely damaging, but is solid to get you in close. Then, as Sub always does, proceed to punish with proper freeze combos. :bighammer:

Dark_Rob

Noob
Dash block, dash block, dash block! Another thing you have to remember when playing as Sub is that he can "slide duck" under certain projectiles. I'm not sure what the exact terminology is here but if the projectile is high enough, you can pull a quick slide under it for a great counter. Sliding under a Reptile acid spit would be the best example of this. This isn't extremely damaging, but is solid to get you in close. Then, as Sub always does, proceed to punish with proper freeze combos. :bighammer:
You cant slide under Mileenas sais. they will hit you.

UPR_Nova

Noob
You cant slide under Mileenas sais. they will hit you.
I should have definitely been a little more specific. I did say under certain projectiles and I meant that to be relative to the entire thread in general. However, in accordance with Mileena, I should have been more specific. Apologies.

UPR_Nova

Noob
Not if she air sai's, which a good meleena will. They're just high enough to duck.
I think Dark_Rob is being specific to the zoners in general. Although you are able to slide under air sias, I think it would be pretty tough to set up consistent spacing with them. Most of the time you will have to keep that spacing with projectiles from the ground considering a character such as sub will punish the jumping projectiles. It is also very tough to consistently throw skillful specials in the air at a rate comparable to those just standing. The split second that it takes them to jump in the air can lead to something devastating.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Anyone else notice they nerfed the hell out of his freeze stun time? It's a joke now, like 1 a second? lol if you do the math from MK1, MK2, MK3, UMK4, MK4, 3D MK's etc, MKDC....MK9 is utter crap man lol. I actually feel for Sub-Zero users. His clone is really all he has IMO....his ground freeze is useless more or less outside of the EX version and I noticed he can only slide under certain projectiles (like scorp's spear, but not Mileena's sai's, Ermac's fireball etc

They should have at least given him back his teleport.

iMLGzus

Venom Addict/Space Pope
Anyone else notice they nerfed the hell out of his freeze stun time? It's a joke now, like 1 a second? lol if you do the math from MK1, MK2, MK3, UMK4, MK4, 3D MK's etc, MKDC....MK9 is utter crap man lol. I actually feel for Sub-Zero users. His clone is really all he has IMO....his ground freeze is useless more or less outside of the EX version and I noticed he can only slide under certain projectiles (like scorp's spear, but not Mileena's sai's, Ermac's fireball etc

They should have at least given him back his teleport.
Omg i love you lol. I was alsways thinking the same thing...teleport back please.... T_T. and yeah his ground freeze is useless. Meh whatever. His ice ball is still good for med range and comboing.

Xyero

Noob
Omg i love you lol. I was alsways thinking the same thing...teleport back please.... T_T. and yeah his ground freeze is useless. Meh whatever. His ice ball is still good for med range and comboing.
Oh god if he had teleport in MK9 I would main him forever. Sub is my sub xD

iMLGzus

Venom Addict/Space Pope
Oh god if he had teleport in MK9 I would main him forever. Sub is my sub xD
Lol I still main the cold-hearted bastard. (Pun intended :p) Been faithful since MK1. I would've liked to see his up freezes and his teleport, even if they removed his ground freeze. It sucks anyway lol.