What's new

Question - Sub-Zero How to counter sub-zero ?

isenberg13

SteamID : c4s786
I main Inferno Scorpion and Shirai Ryu Takeda. I am having a really hard time playing against grandmaster sub zero. I am getting bodied no matter what I do. what can I do to counter sub zero's slide spamming and ice clone setups.

BloodyNights

"My kunai will find it's mark."
I main Inferno Scorpion and Shirai Ryu Takeda. I am having a really hard time playing against grandmaster sub zero. I am getting bodied no matter what I do. what can I do to counter sub zero's slide spamming and ice clone setups.
For starters, Sub-Zero should never be able to Slide spam, especially against Scorpion. Punish that shit with 214>DB3, 21>DB4, JIP, 4>BF1, JIP 4>DB3.

Secondly you can punish clone cancels on block with teleport, EX Teleport, or EX Take Down. You can punish clone on neutral with a hard read with DB4 into a combo, and teleport on reaction to both ice klone, or Ice ball. D4 is as much of your friend as it is to Sub-Zero. To be honest if you are in the corner you don't have many tools to get out, besides maybe an EX slide if you can make the appropriate read. But it's tough as balls to get out, can't really give you help there. He dominates everyone when he puts them in the corner.

EDIT: Forgot to mention Sub-Zero can slide all of your demons on reaction to it's start up, so...it's not a very valid tactic to use against him very often outside of the occasional check.

Takeda you'll have a tough time not getting slid on when you try to perform his longer range attacks. But if you can manage to block it pay him back gloriously with 44>EX BF2, B21>DB3, 33>EX BF1, Run up B21>BF1 for 50% to make him regret it...or something like dat...lol

Last edited:

isenberg13

SteamID : c4s786
For starters, Sub-Zero should never be able to Slide spam, especially against Scorpion. Punish that shit with 214>DB3, 21>DB4, JIP, 4>BF1, JIP 4>DB3.

Secondly you can punish clone cancels on block with teleport, EX Teleport, or EX Take Down. You can punish clone on neutral with a hard read with DB4 into a combo, and teleport on reaction to both ice klone, or Ice ball. D4 is as much of your friend as it is to Sub-Zero. To be honest if you are in the corner you don't have many tools to get out, besides maybe an EX slide if you can make the appropriate read. But it's tough as balls to get out, can't really give you help there. He dominates everyone when he puts them in the corner.

EDIT: Forgot to mention Sub-Zero can slide all of your demons on reaction to it's start up, so...it's not a very valid tactic to use against him very often outside of the occasional check.

Takeda you'll have a tough time not getting slid on when you try to perform his longer range attacks. But if you can manage to block it pay him back gloriously with 44>EX BF2, B21>DB3, 33>EX BF1, Run up B21>BF1 for 50% to make him regret it...or something like dat...lol
thanks for your reply ... it was very helpful... but what should I do when he is sitting behind ice clone and spamming fireballs.. my spear obviously gets blocked by his clone, and if I try to jump in then he freezes my ass with ice ball, if I try to NJP, he jump in kicks me or slides me.

BloodyNights

"My kunai will find it's mark."
Well for one he should have a hard time setting up clones because of teleport/DB4. If he is sitting behind clone and using Ice ball you can teleport it on reaction.

thanks for your reply ... it was very helpful... but what should I do when he is sitting behind ice clone and spamming fireballs.. my spear obviously gets blocked by his clone, and if I try to jump in then he freezes my ass with ice ball, if I try to NJP, he jump in kicks me or slides me.
Just let him throw iceballs, they don't do chip and wait for his klone to disappear then go in.