What's new

Video/Tutorial - Goro How to Counter EX PunchWalk

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
This is a guide that I am making to help people learn how to fight Goro and counter EX Punchwalk.

EX Punchwalk is probably the best Armored Launcher in the game due to it having 2 hits of Armor and Safe on Block. The downfall of this move is the whiff recovery.

Here are some character specific options to beat EX Punchwalk.

All of these examples were found within a few hours, and by ME so I am positive better examples can be found.

(YES I KNOW CHEST LUNGE WOULD WORK AGAINST HALF OF THESE, THIS IS JUST A TUTORIAL IF YOU ARE 100% SURE YOUR OPPONENT IS GOING TO EX PUNCHWALK)

SHINNOK
  • Maaaaan, NO SHINNOK PLAYER SHOULD EVER DO F42D1 against Goro. EVER (unless you need it for chip) As you can see in this short video all of the options get beat by just doing F42 HS. After F42 HS Jump Back Punch is a full combo punish on Goro.
GORO
  • All I tested with Goro was 11 Jump back 3 or 4 and they work to punish EX Punchwalk
JASON
  • Jason can do a standing 1 or 23 and a Jump Back 3 to punish EX Punchwalk
JOHNNY CAGE
  • 12 and 121 both leave Johnny at enough +Plus frames and space to allow a punish for EX Punchwalk.
JAX
  • The only string I could find that leaves Jax at enough advantage and enough space is 11 and F21, since they are really good strings for Jax to Stagger, the Jax player can proceed to Jump Back 3 and Proceed to Full Combo Punish EX Punchwalk.
SUB-ZERO
  • Very few strings into EX Clone can still get hit by EX Punchwalk, F4 Clone is safe and can punish EX Punchwalk on reaction. B33 EX Clone provides a safe Mix-Up, and can also punish EX Punchwalk
KANO
  • Nothing really special or character specific here, just showing how to bait it with a JIK and the max damage 1 bar combo.
REPTILE
  • Reptile is +1 on Block after B2. Therefore a good time for Goro to try to use EX Punchwalk.
KOTAL KAHN
@Qwark28 can post his.​

Some of these might now be the optimal Punishes but this should give you the idea.

@EGP_Awesomo
@YOMI REO
@BunLantern
@cR WoundCowboy
@Mikemetroid
@Tom Brady
@HoneyBee
@Tim Static

Please help complete this guide and spread the knowledge.

Last edited:

Udun

Noob
Buzzsaw KL counters EX-Punchwalk with EX-Spin (3hits). Despite, Punchwalk is -5 on block. I don't see a problem there...

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
Yeah... no goro main is gonna do a reversal punch walk after special cancels unless you newb
Why not, what does the Goro player have to lose? If the Goro player thinks they are going to press another button or do an armored move Goro wins.

Buzzsaw KL counters EX-Punchwalk with EX-Spin (3hits). Despite, Punchwalk is -5 on block. I don't see a problem there...
what?

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Before I knew it was safe(I never thought I'd need to lab goro of all people) I tried to punish it every time and got rekt.

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
@Alright RyRy I like this thread, problem solving like woah.

Sub has a few other options in the corner. Applied after any f12 > clone, use cross up ji2. This might seem like it would put SZ in the corner if Goro were to simply block, but the ji2 both crosses over Goro, hits and then lands SZ safely back on the original side. Obviously if Goro were to punch walk on wake up, he'd run through clone and out of the corner. In this case Sub would land behind Goro, run in and b12 for the punish.

And then there's the @Tom Brady method. Max height f12 ender, half step back, clone > f4 xx ex frost bomb actually breaks Goro's ex punch walk armor.

Mortal Komhat

Worst Well-Established Goro Player Ever
Sub has a few other options in the corner. Applied after any f12 > clone, use cross up ji2. This might seem like it would put SZ in the corner if Goro were to simply block, but the ji2 both crosses over Goro, hits and then lands SZ safely back on the original side. Obviously if Goro were to punch walk on wake up, he'd run through clone and out of the corner. In this case Sub would land behind Goro, run in and b12 for the punish.
That first part is why I've started doing EX Stomp hold forward to escape that situation more than EX PW unless they're trying to poke out.

If they go in, they're too far to punish EX stomp, if they hang back/backdash the stomp, they get stomped because of screen scroll.

Udun

Noob
Can you provide a video on what you are stating.
No sorry, but you can check it in 30 seconds of practice mode. Buzzsaw Lao on wake-up tornado, knock him down as goro, do ex-punchwalk - profit.

The secret is the single punchwalk hits come out to slow to get trought the armor of Tornado before Tornade does its 3 hits and punishs expunchwalk