What's new

How do you use Grundy - Playstyle Discussion

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?
whats up guys just wondering about different playstyles and how u abuse grundy
my prefered playstyle is to get a health chain and then just bulldoze through everything with WCC the reduced damage really aids this WCC into MB cleaver covers nearly the full screen and jumpbackers get blown up

theres also landing a big combo and finishing with chip trait then turtle like a baws as long as u can , grundy timing out zoners gives u a fuzzy feeling :cool:

theres damage trait mix up stuff using f13 and jump ins

i also like to use some weird shenanigans just to keep people guessing , stuff like 112 MB swamp hands instead of comboing you grave rot MB then either jump over [damage reset], low, overhead or continue combo
i wanna know how you all grundy ??

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do
Yea, abuse the sh8t out of WC/C into a Health Chain combo and get the life lead. I usually continue trying to get in, but against certain characters like Raven and Cyborg, I'll try and get my Defense Chain goin' and turtle it out.

After his AA Grab (forget the name), and d3 you can get a free EX/WC, though they can backdash it. (I haven't had anyone jump or wakeup out of it yet) I usually EX WC, Grave Rot into f13, haven't had anyone jump out, it can be backdashed, but it depends on the characters backdash if the (f1)3 hits. Once they start respecting f13, b2 mindf8cks them lol. Not too sure if this is already known, but this stuff has worked wonders for me.

Also, who makes a thread at 3 in the morning lol

xWEBSx

Too old for this Shit
As a big, slow, meaty, punching bag :D
I'm just playing around...

I don't used Mr. Grundy.. Bravo to those that do and make him look good!!

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do
As a big, slow, meaty, punching bag :D
I'm just playing around...

I don't used Mr. Grundy.. Bravo to those that do and make him look good!!
I don't think he's that bad. Grundy can laugh at interactables with WC/C and potentially punish you for using one. He has some great knockdown pressure, and a good damage output to boot. His trait is also one of the best in the game imo. I'm a nobody, so take with a grain of salt but I'd say he's high-mid tier.

fr stack

Yea, abuse the sh8t out of WC/C into a Health Chain combo and get the life lead. I usually continue trying to get in, but against certain characters like Raven and Cyborg, I'll try and get my Defense Chain goin' and turtle it out.

After his AA Grab (forget the name), and d3 you can get a free EX/WC, though they can backdash it. (I haven't had anyone jump or wakeup out of it yet) I usually EX WC, Grave Rot into f13, haven't had anyone jump out, it can be backdashed, but it depends on the characters backdash if the (f1)3 hits. Once they start respecting f13, b2 mindf8cks them lol. Not too sure if this is already known, but this stuff has worked wonders for me.
edit/ that was breakfast time for me lol im in europe ;)

Also, who makes a thread at 3 in the morning lol
his ex walking corpse is godlike heres some options u can do from it
MB grave rot dash dash neutral jump 3 d2 trait ,, dash dash neutral jump (land) b1 or f13 ,, MB grave rot dash dash neutral jump 1 into combo ... his jumping 2 does not work for these set ups

PhilAuto

Noob
Im curious if anyone else does this, if I have meter I almost always go for the reset, but I don't always go for trait grab. It seems he has a vortex with meter anyways. I either do F1 2 into the reset again or b1 ex swamp hands into to reset again. Its pretty dirty, if you have 2 bars, get them into combo and they guess wrong once, you take almost a whole life bar. Maybe the b1 vs f1 is visible and can be blocked on reaction, but I haven't seen anyone do it yet

fr stack

Im curious if anyone else does this, if I have meter I almost always go for the reset, but I don't always go for trait grab. It seems he has a vortex with meter anyways. I either do F1 2 into the reset again or b1 ex swamp hands into to reset again. Its pretty dirty, if you have 2 bars, get them into combo and they guess wrong once, you take almost a whole life bar. Maybe the b1 vs f1 is visible and can be blocked on reaction, but I haven't seen anyone do it yet
i use this all the time if they keep jumping after everything i do i just spam b1 over and over untill they block lol

ll Nooby ll

To Live is to Die
When I have the life lead, I like to use Damage so that they are kept close and I can do massive damage. If I dont have the lead than I'll use Health or Chip (depending on the MU) or if they next combo will kill the opponent no matter what, then I'll use Health.

I like to play it kinda slow and just like to stay outside of range of his standing 2. If people try to get in I'll try to catch them with 2, or on a read I'll WC. Or if they're jumping I'll AA them with D2 or AA grab. Whenever I am in I'll always go for the throw/grab 50/50. Same goes for a knockdown, except I might just block to punish their wakeup or armor through it.

Against zoners, if a dash it guaranteed and they can't do anything about, then I'll dash. But most of the time I'm just walking forward trying to push them into the corner. Then I'll do my best to keep them there.

Hopefully Konqrr and 801 Vegeta agree with this.

RebelzPlague

I like to think I'm good.
I go for damage chain first, then health chain, make them feel the grundy damage. But I usually just react to what my opponents to and how they play. WCC, mb WC, and mb Trait help out so much.

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
ive never played a grappler before so im still getting used to the mentality of always pushing forward and always staying in.
i think the way grundy is built helps me alot though as i like to have the chip trait as active as much as i can so i can run away for a bit to run out the clock,throw interactables etc etc if i choose, i prob use way more swamp hands than is needed lol

i dont think im doing anything different that the other grundys,
i play mostly off MB walking corpse knockdowns and getting my opponent cornered.
d2, 112, f13, b1, 32, 33, 2, d3, d13 are the normals i use most, know i should start using 113 more

i like the character the most out the full roster (besides the mk addition) so id really like to level up my game with him

fr stack

corner combo ive been messing with 112 MB swamp hands MB grave rot ji2 f22 MB walking corpse , 1b2 health trait the second part does like 66% lol

Nonameformedude

That Yung Big Body
Someone said I play grundy diffrent then every other grundy online the other day so I thought I'd comment here. I didnt really have love for grapplers until the big mitted god that is solomon grundy walked into my life(also that hidden killa shazam, but thats a diff topic). Im not sure how long Im going to make this, but im stoned so it may end up being a whole bunch so ill start in stages of the game I guess

As the game opens I like to do one of two things depending on my opponent and how I feel. Imo walking corpse to start is always a great option because if they throw a string out you can just eat that shit up and still get the first hit with a free chance to MB for a hard knockdown set up, it will catch most peoples backdashes and back jumps, and if they go for that opening jump in/cross up(fuck you black adam)you can cancel on reaction. The other thing I start with is a standing 2. Reaches immediately, hits mid, pretty fast for grunder, and I usually recover fast enough to block if they opened with a jump. Now in certain matchups you do have to just block(stupid 8 frame mid superman), or just want to block(batman I know you are going to jump in and eat my d2 for a free 50%), but that is how I generally start. I never EVER just jump with grundy because he is straight ass in the air(though neutral jumps can be beneficial, I just dont like to use them with grundy).

Once the first hit is out the way I am immediately looking to get a pain chain confirm, always opting for the defense chain(taking less damage on hit). I cant express enough how much better this chain is than the others, I literally dont consider grundys health bar to be normal until he has his defense chain on. If this chain isnt on yet im really just looking to punish a mistake with d2xx4. You can d2 into a combo for 50% ez np, BUT its not as consistent as d2xx4 in my eyes. On block that will catch most people sitting there while still being effective on hit, and though the d2 scales the pain chain damage down you will be able to control where your opponent hands and how long they will be unable to do anything(you also dont ever have to worry about the d2 into 11xxhands link whiffing because they were crouching). Aside from WCmb the pain chain is his greatest set up tool imo(also it hurts, use that shit).

When I have my defense chain on I feel safe to really lay on the walking corpse pressure. landing a WCmb leads to grundys greatest set up so thats what im always trying to land. A lot of people try to lay on the pressure with his 11 string(11xxhands for low, 11xxcleaver for high is just too punishable/interpretable a mixup for me unless they have no meter), but the best standing normal hes got is standing 2. Its like M bison's medium kick and heavy kick in one move and that shit hit confirms into swamp hands. Grundy doesnt build meter fast unless(this is funny)hes eating hits with walking corpse so Im learning to always go for the wall bounce combo after a mbswamp hands as one bar for all them deeps aint bad, and you need at least one bar for nice damage or a nice set up(seriously, unless it will kill or you are full screen dont use more than one bar in a combo). I really like f13, its a low that doesnt look like a low and on hit knocks them into the air to link 11xx4 or 11xswamphand(mb). Thats really the only string I like to cancel into 11xxswamphands(mb)because its really easy to see the link. His vortex is kool, but pretty unpractical because of the meter it cost and the fact that just resetting into trait instead of the vortex gives you 50% np(would only use on the first life bar or to stunt on someone).

Off of a WCmb I always double dash in and stance switch leading to his very ambiguous overhead cross up, f13(there is enough time to decide to cancel into trait on block or just link into grab with this one), a plain throw, or nothing if you think they will wake up attack. I will only ever WCmb into another wc if I know for show they will wake up and I have meter to do it again(waste of meter, yes. Funny as hell and aggravating to the opponent, fuck yes).

My basic gameplay strat after getting my first defense chain is as follows. Push them to the corner and do corner bullshit. You would not believe how many people ive caught in three consecutive raw pain chain grabs because after a pain chain(not sure about all of them, but the defense chain definitely)ending in the corner you can just mash 4 and the chain will come out perfectly timed to their wake up so they must jump or wake up attack. Really just force them into jumping all the time, then punish them for jumping.

Unless im losing in health I like to end the first bar of health with a power chain(one of three exceptions to always using the defense chain), then go for a f13~11xx link for big damage right into a defense chain(usually the first big damage combo wont get clashed). After that I go for any swamphands(mb)set up into b3~f3. Most people clash grundy on a pain chain so they wont clash you right as the 11xswamphands lands, after that lands its unclashable while still giving a nice 30%(will also keep you in the rhythm of doing his b3 combo).

The only other time I use a chain other than the power chain is when im fighting a good zoner(and ive gotten the first hit), or I need to position someone. I always wondered why the chip chain threw them so far away, but I recently realized how it was intended to be used. In a match with a good zoner you try your damndest to get the first hit and turn that hit into a damaging combo(easy once you get that hit because with a bar of meter most hits can be turned into 50%)ending in the chip chain. Then you rely on d2xx4 and timeout since they will chip for absolutely shit damage. Since my game plan revolves around pushing people to the corner it is really extremely helpful that the power chain not only leaves the opponent closest to you, but also leaves them on the opposite side of you if you just do the first hit(this is the only chain that really has a benefit in just doing the first hit). If you are confident in your skill you can literally back yourself into a corner, land a punish into trait, and suddenly you have your opponent in the corner.

[edit] I also catch people trying to zone me full screen all the time with MBswamp hands. Its said that there are other ways to combo off this full screen, but I can only consistently connect with dash twice and MBcleaver spin into a combo(or just cleaver spin if I have no meter, im still in)ending in trait.

So yeah, press your big body against your opponent..thats how I use grundy

Nonameformedude

That Yung Big Body
Woops, forgot to add that the koolest thing about grundy to me is his hit confirm game. Interrupts excluded, you can chose to only use strings that cancel into trait on block. The only way out of that is to jump. Once we have players(I know a few now)who can consistently jump out of his trait games, it opens up the dead air. That move is entirely useless unless the opponent is jumping out of your trait cancels(I mean you can use it in a combo, but why), then it becomes the godlike link into a free anything with meter. Also its the closets move he has to his, "get outta here" win screen. He just tosses bitches. This character is soo kool.

Gruff757

The Gruff
Woops, forgot to add that the koolest thing about grundy to me is his hit confirm game. Interrupts excluded, you can chose to only use strings that cancel into trait on block. The only way out of that is to jump. Once we have players(I know a few now)who can consistently jump out of his trait games, it opens up the dead air. That move is entirely useless unless the opponent is jumping out of your trait cancels(I mean you can use it in a combo, but why), then it becomes the godlike link into a free anything with meter. Also its the closets move he has to his, "get outta here" win screen. He just tosses bitches. This character is soo kool.
you can also use the dead air as an alternative during the reset, but its not really worth it unless you are by the corner imo.

or you can also double b1 if they try to jump out after the first b1 and catch them with trait like that. (i forgot if this works, but ill test it in a bit)

Nonameformedude

That Yung Big Body
you can also use the dead air as an alternative during the reset, but its not really worth it unless you are by the corner imo.

or you can also double b1 if they try to jump out after the first b1 and catch them with trait like that. (i forgot if this works, but ill test it in a bit)
Aye, thats actually really useful for me because Ive always been using the damage chain to switch what side my opponent was on. For a bar of meter I could just dead air them back into the corner, AND make some really nice damage off of it. Thx bro!

After the b1 the pain chain is unavoidable even by jumping if timed right, but there is merit in a double b1. If you are a little late and they do chose to jump you hit them for and extra 5% going straight into your pain chain anyway, and anyone who knows the MU will be jumping as long as you dont have meter. The only problem with this is if they already resign to being hit by the reset instead of jumping they will most likely be holding back and they will block the b1 and that thing is hell for grundy on block

Gruff757

The Gruff
Aye, thats actually really useful for me because Ive always been using the damage chain to switch what side my opponent was on. For a bar of meter I could just dead air them back into the corner, AND make some really nice damage off of it. Thx bro!

After the b1 the pain chain is unavoidable even by jumping if timed right, but there is merit in a double b1. If you are a little late and they do chose to jump you hit them for and extra 5% going straight into your pain chain anyway, and anyone who knows the MU will be jumping as long as you dont have meter. The only problem with this is if they already resign to being hit by the reset instead of jumping they will most likely be holding back and they will block the b1 and that thing is hell for grundy on block
yeah those are pretty much reading tactics lol both suck on block but more than likely the opponent will try to jump unles aware of these tactics

Gruff757

The Gruff

alright the second one is only useful if you do another mb swamp hands(assuming you did one already) but that is a waste of meter so yeah all it would really do is make your opponent think twice about jumping

First off the defense chain is the anti chip chain. The chain you're talking about in your post is the health chain. Second jumping isn't the only way out of the mixups off his block string into trait. MB b3 works much better and beats all your options just nobody bothers to do it yet.

Dead air's purpose is in his 70% combo. 112 bf2 mb b1 db2 mb j2 b1 health chain 71% which means all you need to land is a raw health chain to finish off that life bar excluding clash.