What's new

Question - Mileena How are we opening opponents up?

bettyswallaux

XBOXLive: BettySwallaux
First off I'd like to say I'm not complaining at all, I hated mileena in mk9 but so far she's by far my fave mkx character, my issue is her low is unsafe and her overhead f3 is 294 frames on start up, so can any one tell me how I should be opening the opponent up particularly with f3,thanks

bettyswallaux

@G4S Claude VonStroke please don't make me lose respect for you cos I've always respected you as a player and what you do for mk, but plz..stfu.. Lol.. I really just want to see if we can come up with a plan here, most stuff is unsafe but can potentially be made safe with ethereal but that in itself is another guessing game. What I've been doing is catching dash ins with b21 but some players are to stronk with they're game.

F4, 12b4, 21, any of these work if the person doesnt recognize lows. All can be cancelled into ex ball overhead. F343 works fine if done in the right situation

G4S Claude VonStroke

@MK_ClaudeVS on twitter
@G4S Claude VonStroke please don't make me lose respect for you cos I've always respected you as a player and what you do for mk, but plz..stfu.. Lol.. I really just want to see if we can come up with a plan here, most stuff is unsafe but can potentially be made safe with ethereal but that in itself is another guessing game. What I've been doing is catching dash ins with b21 but some players are to stronk with they're game.
I am not trying to troll here. As you know in MK9 we didn't have these kind of 50/50's except for a few characters and they were almost all unsafe. Plus we had a block button so the only way to really open someone up at a high level was to use space control on normals, pokes and strings. Do you disagree? (If so it's fine haha)

bettyswallaux

I am not trying to troll here. As you know in MK9 we didn't have these kind of 50/50's except for a few characters and they were almost all unsafe. Plus we had a block button so the only way to really open someone up at a high level was to use space control on normals, pokes and strings. Do you disagree? (If so it's fine haha)
I know we didn't have safe 50 50s that's why I hated injustice, 50 50s being safe means the best player doesn't always win, but not only are her OH and LOW unsafe, her OH is super slow. So how do you open them up with your safe strings which are generally slow also, everyone needs something and I'm not saying mileena doesn't have anything I'm simply here trying to gather advice off other people.

G4S Claude VonStroke

@MK_ClaudeVS on twitter
I know we didn't have safe 50 50s that's why I hated injustice, 50 50s being safe means the best player doesn't always win, but not only are her OH and LOW unsafe, her OH is super slow. So how do you open them up with your safe strings which are generally slow also, everyone needs something and I'm not saying mileena doesn't have anything I'm simply here trying to gather advice off other people.
I will go to training tonight with mileena and see if I can find anything. Haven't used her yet.

Sasuga

Noob
I use F234 (4 is low) and cancel the 3 into ex-ball for a high/low mixup, that kind of thing.
F4~ExRoll for a low into overhead.
F343 / F34~ExRoll. The last 3 is a low.
B212 / B2~ExRoll. The 1 is low.

Combo's that have a low that you trade for an ExRoll is the main idea here. It's all risky but that's how the character plays.

Het air-to-air game seems to be pretty good and you can combo off that too.

bettyswallaux

I use F234 (4 is low) and cancel the 3 into ex-ball for a high/low mixup, that kind of thing.
F4~ExRoll for a low into overhead.
F343 / F34~ExRoll. The last 3 is a low.
B212 / B2~ExRoll. The 1 is low.

Combo's that have a low that you trade for an ExRoll is the main idea here. It's all risky but that's how the character plays.

Het air-to-air game seems to be pretty good and you can combo off that too.
Yeah I realise all this bro I just think its bit dumb that she pretty much has to rely on 1 ex special to trick the opponent, also I played two mileenas now who I have blown up due to the fact that they either ex the roll due to predictable strings and I block, and their only option then is to try catch me with the f3 overhead, but I have time to travel to another country for a nice holiday and come back before that thing comes out, and then I jab them out of it and blow them up. She's a bill man I'm certain of this lol

Sasuga

Noob
Yeah I realise all this bro I just think its bit dumb that she pretty much has to rely on 1 ex special to trick the opponent, also I played two mileenas now who I have blown up due to the fact that they either ex the roll due to predictable strings and I block, and their only option then is to try catch me with the f3 overhead, but I have time to travel to another country for a nice holiday and come back before that thing comes out, and then I jab them out of it and blow them up. She's a bill man I'm certain of this lol
Yeah, but she is not all about opening people up for high damage combo's. She can zone pretty good and then punish when you opponents tries to react to it.

I think a lot of characters have trouble with this. That is to say, a lot of people seem to go for the high damage stuff. Then they run out of ideas when the other guy starts blocking properly. Had the same complaints from a Kenshi player yesterday.

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
Unless you want to go yolo ex ball, you don't open people up with Mileena. Footsies is the answer. Piercing b12 is one of the best footsies tools in the game that you can hitconfirm into full combo, and you need to make them fear it and start jumping or making otherwise rash decisions.

If you played SF4 at all its just like Rose. She can't do a goddamn thing to open people up, but nobody will beat her at neutral and you gotta have that same mindset.

bettyswallaux

Yeah, but she is not all about opening people up for high damage combo's. She can zone pretty good and then punish when you opponents tries to react to it.

I think a lot of characters have trouble with this. That is to say, a lot of people seem to go for the high damage stuff. Then they run out of ideas when the other guy starts blocking properly. Had the same complaints from a Kenshi player yesterday.
Man.. I didn't just start playing fighting games yesterday.. I'm not like woe is me I can't do 60hit swag combos :( that's not what I'm saying I think your missing the point, and I realise a lot of the cast have the same issue, the difference is the majority of them aren't as punishable. Man this website is full of people trying to give smart ass replies trying to make people look stupid.

Sasuga

Noob
Man.. I didn't just start playing fighting games yesterday.. I'm not like woe is me I can't do 60hit swag combos :( that's not what I'm saying I think your missing the point, and I realise a lot of the cast have the same issue, the difference is the majority of them aren't as punishable. Man this website is full of people trying to give smart ass replies trying to make people look stupid.
I didn't try to make anyone look stupid. I have no idea how much experience you have in fightinggames and honestly, the fact that you ask how to open people up with F3 kinda makes you look like you think it's her only tool. (In my perspective.) I have a knack for choosing the wrong wording at times. Probably doing it again now too. Sorry about that.

bettyswallaux

I didn't try to make anyone look stupid. I have no idea how much experience you have in fightinggames and honestly, the fact that you ask how to open people up with F3 kinda makes you look like you think it's her only tool. (In my perspective.) I have a knack for choosing the wrong wording at times. Probably doing it again now too. Sorry about that.
Lol I'll just assume your not purposely being rude then, no I know she has other tools, I just don't understand why most of the other characters who have the same tools as her have much faster versions, even if you keep her super punishable at least make her overhead faster that's all I'm saying.

Piercing F23 and B21 strings have good range to them. I feel like combined with Sai annoyance this could be pretty effective. Players already know, (or should from MK9), that jumping on Mileena is suicide. Maybe try establishing F23/B21 as a "danger zone" of sorts? Not sure about other variants though.

Also, I'm starting to think that F3(slow overhead) is meant to be either a backdash chaser, or a block pressure tool (0 on block I think) more than a straight "mixup" tool.

bettyswallaux

Since making this post I've actually learned a few new things, she really doesn't need the F3 to be effective, I still however feel it is a little to slow. I feel her range makes up for her lack of speed, so I can live with it. She is still a very unsafe character though and I believe as play develops to a higher level that her ethereal variation will become more popular due to the fact most things can be made safe and higher damaging combos will be discovered for the variation. Despite my gripes with her though I think she's a pretty solid character and a great bait and punish play style. And as for those trying to make me look dumb, there have brrbe some decently helpful responses :)

EndofGameBoss

That's about right.
I just started playing her yesterday, so I won't really be able to help. However, you are right. She is unsafe. There must be a lot of Mileenas out there because everyone was blocking my mixup strings. 21 EX roll, f344 Ex roll, etc. I had to start relying on throws. I just like her because of her "bait and punish" style as you put it.

Game Scavenger

Rage is true power!
I just started playing her yesterday, so I won't really be able to help. However, you are right. She is unsafe. There must be a lot of Mileenas out there because everyone was blocking my mixup strings. 21 EX roll, f344 Ex roll, etc. I had to start relying on throws. I just like her because of her "bait and punish" style as you put it.
There are very few people playing Mileena because of how unsatisfying she is right now. She has very few options and once someone posts a detailed video exposing her weaknesses with and without meter game over. I love Mileena and always play her in every MK game but the week of practice mode I put into her and work up till now seems so wasted I just wanna take the game back to the store idk.

Bait jumps bij throwing sais, so if the opponent jumps you can punish it by using Telekick and combo off of it.

Aaaand footsies

diamond

Became a tier whore out of frustration
Mileena was my first character in MKX.

If her roll was a low she would be a fantastic 50/50 character. Since it's not, you have to rely on her zoning/stage control and unsafe teleport. If you want rushdown 50/50 there are plenty of other characters that do it much better for less work.

iMileena

"I will cut a hole in you"
Im just whiffing opponents at the moment, but my best tech is to run & either low kick , or f3 from a safe distance cause her f3 range is godlike ,its weird i always catch them. Just be careful if thier jumpers or "zoners" cause it'll get you everytime