What's new

Guide - Marksman Guide To All Things Marksman (before it became trash)

HeroesNZ

Baconlord's Billionaire Sugar Daddy
Not much is known about Marksman except little rumours here and there that it may be better than Outlaw, so I thought why not make a guide?

Short BnB Guide:
You can do DB2 Run 11 xx DB2 Run 211 xx DBF2 for more damage
In the corner, you can also confirm off of a full 21122 with DB2 (males only). 21122 xx DB2 D1 xx DB2 21122 xx DBF2 for 37% (not optimal but more consistent for 1% less), or 21122 xx MB DB2 B2 xx DB2 21122 xx DBF2 for 43%
For air to airs I just use run up 21122 x Sand Trap

Notable normals/strings:
1 - Decent anti-crossup, 8f high, -1 on block, tick throws.
11 - Good pressure string as it's +2 on block, +24 on hit, tick throws, sets up standing resets.
11B3 - Tick throws, hits low, can be staggered with 1 and 11. Anything cancelled afterwards can be armoured through.
2 - 9f high, decent footsie tool
21122 - The infamous string of many names, such as 32211/112211/32233. One of the best pressure strings in the game in the corner, midscreen it's less scary but still very good. Tick throws in 3 different places and is -1 on block. Although it's -1 you may be able to get a D1 in as the opponent may expect you to cancel into EX Sand Grenade.
D2 - Solid 8f anti-air.
F3 - Solid footsie tool, 14f mid, can be used to whiff punish pokes by cancelling into EX Sand Grenade.
D3 - Just wanted to put this in to say that it's absolutely useless #BuffErron
D4 - A better version of his D3. Tick throws, 11f startup, +22 on hit, -3 on block, guarantees a standing 2 on hit from max range and is by far his easiest way of setting up a 50/50 by just running up and using F1/B3 on hit. B3 can be armoured through.
D1 - Solid 8f D1, +11 on hit, tick throws.
F13 - His go-to overhead string. Hits OH - Low, can be hit-confirmed for a full combo or made completely safe using Gun Cancels.
B32 - A very good pressure string as it hits low, has more range than B33, is +1 when Gun Cancelled, and B32 xx DB2 is only interruptable with armour. Doesn't tick throw but has similar pressure options to 21122.
B33 - His most damaging low string. B3 has short range and can also be made completely safe with GCs.
F24 - Cancellable HKD, useful for setting up caltrops.

Specials:
Caltrops (DB3) - Very scary in the corner, does 15 unblockable ticks of 0.5% for a total of 7.5%. Cannot be ran over. EX version does 15 ticks of 1% for a total of 15%.
Sand Grenade (BF3) - Good counter-zoning tool. EX Version launches for a full-combo on hit and is +7 on block.
Sand Slide (BF4) - Useful for switching sides and is a good combo ender. Doesn't low profile at the start of the animation so is pretty bad for anti-zoning. EX version has armour and so is a decent anti-zoning tool and a solid wakeup.
Sand Gust (DB4) - Can be used as a pre-emptive anti-air.
Sand Trap (DBF2) - One of Erron's key tools. Says it's -2 on hit but it's actually around +8. Try again next time NRS [please don't nerf it again ;_;]. EX version has armour so is a useful anti-wakeup tool and can be used as a wakeup. It also has more range. Can be MB'd for more damage.
Long Shot (DF1) - It's main utility is for Gun Cancels, but is a decent counter-zoning tool as it hits for 10% and is mid. Even though Erron's crouching down on one knee he's not registered as in a crouching state, props to NRS. EX version does 16%.
Unload (DB1) - Can catch jumpers but is all-in-all pretty pointless. EX version hits low initially and has a faster startup. Due to the faster startup he walks back quicker so it can be used as a counter-poke setup. Can be comboed off of with DF1 midscreen or a full-combo in the corner.
Swing Shot (DB2) - Launches and extends combos. MB version can be used for more damage. He gets 50% off of B33 in the corner for 2 bars using EX Swing Shot so yeah.

Gun Cancels:
Very useful for making 50/50s safe, and can be used for pressure. The main strings that combo into 21122 with a GC on hit are:
B33/F13 - your 50/50s, and 11B3/211 - your punishing strings. Here's a video showing how you can hit-confirm the 50/50s:

On block, most are around like -3 to -8 except for Standing 4, B32 (+1) , and 21122. 21122 GC is only like neutral/+1 but it's very useful.

Pressuring with 21122:
Firstly, you need to be able to hit-confirm it. It's a little harder online (shoutouts to NRS), but offline it's more than doable.

This string tick throws in 3 places, but you usually want to be tick throwing at 2(1)1 because if the opponent guesses wrong and you don't tick throw then you can at least follow-up with a BF4 midscreen. I said earlier that it's scarier in the corner. This is because if the opponent guesses wrong on a tick throw they eat a full-combo as opposed to just a slide.

Now let's get onto Marksman specific 21122 pressure. 21122 is -1 on block so the opponent might wanna press buttons afterwards. 21122 xx DB2 will beat any poke attempt so you can use this to condition the opponent to stop poking as it launches for a full combo. However if they expect a DB2 then you can use 21122 GC to keep the pressure on. If they start getting wise and try to armour through then you can either GC into block and punish the armour attempt, or cancel 21122 into EX SG and launch them for a full combo. The same can be done with B32.

The Meterless Standing Reset:
Because 11 is +24 on hit, you can get a free Instant JP2 and be plus enough to follow up with F13/B32 that can only be armoured through (B32 can be backdashed). If you read an armour attempt you can go into 21122.

You can also use this after MB Backwards Grab. Just MB Grab at the end of a combo and use Instant JP2.

Setups/oki:
A decent counter-poke setup is F13 xx EX Unload. If the opponent expects a GC and tries to poke they'll get launched by the low.

As EX Sand Trap has armour, you can use D1 xx EX DBF2 to blow through wakeups/tick throw on block. This used to be even better pre-patch but Erron's D3 got nerfed so RIP The Dream.

Useful combo enders aside from Sand Trap include Slide, 21122 xx Caltrops, and 21122 xx Sand Grenade (midscreen). In MUs where I want the opponent to come to me, I like to send them away with 21122 xx SG/Caltrops. If they tech roll then the SG hits meaty and is super plus on block.

Slide is a solid combo ender as it gives you a chance to jump back over the opponent in a game where anti-airs suck. It's more than plus enough on hit to set up a 50/50. 121 is another decent combo ender as it's a HKD so can lead to more pressure.

Pros/Cons:
Pros: Good damage/pressure/counter-zoning
Cons: Fairly stamina-dependant, no armoured launcher, much shittier NJP than Outlaw (although still not that bad).

Match-Up Chart:
:DOGE

Gameplay:

Overall Marksman is a very underused variation that's got every you need. I won't say it's better than Outlaw but it's at least as good. 21122 is scarier in the corner because in Outlaw you can only confirm into DF2 or EX SG, whereas in Marksman you can confirm into DB2 for a full, meterless combo (males only). Gunslinger sucks ass though #EuffBrron.

@InFlames
@wsj515
@The Farmer
@Crathen
@SaJa
@DarthArma
@Groove Heaven
@DownfouralitY
@xGunShow

Post-MKXL Patch Edit - Marksman is definitely better than Outlaw now and best variation is between it and Gunslinger, depending on what you're into.

Gun Cancel frame-data:
Nearly everything links into 21122 on hit, including 21122. On block:
F3 - 0
F2 - 0/+1
F24 - +2
21122 - 0/+1
B32 - 0/+1
4 - Around +6-8
12 - +1

11 GC now links into 21122 making it a solid counter poke OS in the neutral to stop runners. 21(1), 11, and 211(2)2 no longer tick throw however this is good since it means that opponents don't randomly stop blocking and get knocked away when you're trying to cancel into EX Sand Grenade.

DBF2's range was buffed, making it a solid tool in the neutral. EX Sand Trap now combos on hit which is cool. 21122 also connects into Sand Trap midscreen now, allowing us to maintain the pressure midscreen whilst keeping our corner carry thanks to increased advantage on Sand Trap.

Standing 1 pressure:
Erron has a lot of mixups off of standing 1. 11B3 ends in a low that tick throws and can be Gun Cancelled for a full combo. It also catches people expecting you to stagger 11. 121 ends in a somewhat safe overhead that causes a splat. 12 jails into EX Sand Grenade which is a plus on block low launcher. 12 can also be GCed for a full combo on hit and is around +1 on block. It can cancel into DB2 to stop mashers which can only be armoured or backdashed.

11 is +2 on block and +24 on hit, jailing into an instant J2 for more pressure. Both standing 1 and 11 can be staggered into 50/50s if the opponent respects the plus frames. And finally standing 1 tick throws into Sand Trap.

Here's some footage of post-patch Marksman gameplay (could only find ones of me and Red Raptor):
(Skip to 7:30)

Last edited:

Noob
Thanks man, I want to make marksman my second main after outlaw but I can't get the gun cancel down right.

Any tips on the input and timings? D:

HeroesNZ

Thanks man, I want to make marksman my second main after outlaw but I can't get the gun cancel down right.

Any tips on the input and timings? D:
Honestly, not really. It takes practice at first but after a while it becomes muscle memory and gets a lot easier.

The easiest Gun Cancel is probably B33 GC 21122 so practice that and once you start getting it more consistently try and go onto F13 GC 21122. That's how I learnt them.

HeroesNZ

Nice guide, not sure if it needs all those spoilers though lol.

Also I think Marksman>Outlaw, just slightly.
Lol after typing it all up I went into preview and I just kept scrolling down - it was like a bottomless pit.

InFlames

dead
im starting to think b32 is a better low option than b33.

just tested b32 gc and he is +1 if youre frame perfect with the next attack, also b32 swing can not be interrupted with a normal like all the others. mix up both of these and you can have some tricky pressure options

HeroesNZ

im starting to think b32 is a better low option than b33.

just tested b32 gc and he is +1 if youre frame perfect with the next attack, also b32 swing can not be interrupted with a normal like all the others. mix up both of these and you can have some tricky pressure options
Sick, I'll add it to the OP in a bit. So B32 basically has the same pressure options as 21122 on block.

TamedLizard

Buff George
Marksman has been one of my go-tos from the get-go. Really like it, and aside from NJP, personally much prefer it to Outlaw.

Great guide!

ConquaY

I play a bug lady, Bruce Lee and a cowboy.
Just some combos that I found useful.

MID SCREEN:
Meterless:
F13/B33 GC 21122 xx DB2 run F12 sand trap 32/34%
F13/B33 GC 21122 xx DB2 run 21122 xx sand trap 32/34%

Meter:
F13/B33 GC 21122 xx EX DB2 run F24 21122 Sand trap 40/42% damage and puts opponent in the corner from start
F13/B33 GC 21122 xx EX BF3 NJP F24 21122 Sand trap 37/39% (can only be done if close enough to the corner otherwise you will have to slide as the ender for 35/37%)

CORNER:

Meterless:
F13/B33 DB2 B33 DB2 21122 Sand trap 40/42%

Meter:
F13/B33 EX DB2 4 DB2 21122 Sand trap 44/46%
F13/B33 GC 21122 EX DB2 4 DB2 21122 Sand trap 43/45%

Pressure:
(blocking high) 21122 GC 21122 EX BF3 NJP F24 21122 Sand trap is 4% chip and a 32% combo for 36% or its 7.36% chip if they block the sand grenade. If they block the sand grenade you will have your stamina back to full so you can do another 7.36% chip 3 more times with full meter or you can mix it up with a throw/sand trap.

Last edited:

wsj515

This is my billionth life cycle.
Would people want us to post marksman specific combos here so its all in one place, or should we leave them in the combo thread?

HeroesNZ

Would people want us to post marksman specific combos here so its all in one place, or should we leave them in the combo thread?
Yeah might as well make this the Marksman thread. Anything new that's found I'll add to the OP.
Just some combos that I found to do max damage.

MID SCREEN:
Meterless:
F13/B33 GC 21122 xx DB2 run F12 sand trap 32/34%
F13/B33 GC 21122 xx DB2 run 21122 xx sand trap 32/34%

Meter:
F13/B33 GC 21122 xx EX DB2 run F23 21122 Sand trap 40/42% damage and puts opponent in the corner from start
F13/B33 GC 21122 xx EX BF3 NJP F23 21122 Sand trap 37/39% (can only be done if close enough to the corner otherwise you will have to slide as the ender for 35/37%)

CORNER:

Meterless:
F13/B33 DB2 B33 DB2 21122 Sand trap 40/42%

Meter:
F13/B33 EX DB2 4 DB2 21122 Sand trap 44/46%
F13/B33 GC 21122 EX DB2 4 DB2 21122 Sand trap 43/45%

Pressure:
(blocking high) 21122 GC 21122 EX BF3 NJP F23 21122 Sand trap is 4% chip and a 32% combo for 36% or its 7.36% chip if they block the sand grenade. If they block the sand grenade you will have your stamina back to full so you can do another 7.36% chip 3 more times with full meter or you can mix it up with a throw/sand trap.
Hate to be that guy but these aren't all max damage. The ones I did in the video midscreen do more damage. Max meterless damage midscreen is Starter DB2 Run 11 xx DB2 Run 211 xx Sand Trap. The rest are all good though except for the last one. I think you mean F24 and any combo with F24 in it isn't max damage as it scales the damage.

ConquaY

I play a bug lady, Bruce Lee and a cowboy.
Yeah might as well make this the Marksman thread. Anything new that's found I'll add to the OP.

Hate to be that guy but these aren't all max damage. The ones I did in the video midscreen do more damage. Max meterless damage midscreen is Starter DB2 Run 11 xx DB2 Run 211 xx Sand Trap. The rest are all good though except for the last one. I think you mean F24 and any combo with F24 in it isn't max damage as it scales the damage.
Thanks for the tips. The combos I posted are the max damage ones that I knew of and thought people could use.