What's new

Guide - Ruthless Give it a try if you enjoy the struggle [9/01 update: Guide will be completely reworked]

Forr

Variationless Ferra Torr
Update:
Forr said:
The patch has completely changed how Ruthless will play so I will try to compile some useful information over the next few weeks with some help. Guide will be completely reworked.
------

At this point in time Pain and Gain is a high risk, low reward move. Not only are you losing health using it but, due to the long recovery of the move, you are giving your opponent a chance to either escape your pressure or start there own. Some characters are able to keep you trapped in block strings long enough for the buff to run out, meaning you are simply giving them an opportunity to start there pressure and add on to there damage. Using this move in the nuetral means death and the chance of reaching level 3 or maintaining the buff is almost as laughable as Jokers trait in injustice. That being said this move makes the variation useless competitively when compared to Vicious. But if you wanna give Ruthless a try to either challenge yourself or just for the hell out it, here are some things you'll need to know.

Ferra and Torr's Ruthless variation is based around the Pain and Gain move and how you manage it. After using it you will lose 5% health in exchange for a damage buff that will last for about 8 seconds. You can extend the time you keep the buff by using the move while it is still active, which will also increase the damage buff you receive. The visual indicator to having the buff is blood running down Torr's arms, although there is no countdown to let you know you are losing the buff. The move also has armor properties that activate shortly after startup.

It will build 1/6 bar of meter per use.

Damage Buff:

Level 1: 20% Damage increase from normal. 1 hit of armor.

Level 2: 20% Damage increase from level 1, or roughly 44% from normal. 2 hits of armor.

Level 3: 20% Damage increase from level 2, or roughly 73% from normal. Multiple hits of armor ( at least 4).

The damage buff affects all normals, specials, throws, and intractables.

Using an x-ray attack while damage buff is active is not recommended unless it will kill. Not only will you lose the buff, it hardly affects the damage.
Normal x-ray - 37%
Level 1 - 38%
Level 2 - 39%
Level 3 - 41%

As far as damage goes, it is usually not in your favor after a level 1 buff runs out. But the longer you are able to maintain your buff, the less you have to do in order to get your 5% worth, due to the way the buff exponentially rises to level 3.

But Pain and Gains true potential lies in it's ability to armor through multiple hits and either punish on the openents recovery frames, or interrupt mid string for full a combo punish. This is extremely risky to do in the nuetral and once an opponent knows about this it is easy to counter. More setups will take time to flesh out but here are a few found by the Ferra Torr council...

Corner: Ending combos in, d1 d1 11xxPnG, will armor through fast wakeups for full combo punish, and will give you enough time to block slow wakeups, to either punish or contiue pressure.

Midscreen: Ending combos in F4 F3xxPnG will have the same reaction as above. Using this to push oppenent in to corner avoids any tech rolls.

These knockdowns give you enough time and space for a free Pain and Gain...

112+4
F32

Canceling off Block Strings :

If you do not have at least level one, then canceling off a block string is risky due to the long recovery. But if you have a level 1,2 or 3 canceling into it off a block string will play some interesting mind games with your opponent and possibly allow for full combo punishes.

Guarenteed PnG off block strings if you have at least level 1 already active:

B12xx, F2xx, B3xx

We also have 3 other block strings that can be poked out of before the armor activates, but because they can attack earlier the armor frames can last long enough to absorb an entire string, allowing full combo punish :

B121xx -- Interrupted by 5f
11xx -- Interrupted by 6f
F3xx -- Interrupted by 8f

That is a basic rundown of Pain and Gains properties and uses. Hopefully that will give you guys some new ideas on how to use it more effectively and find some more setups.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pandamoniumz

Don't Listen, Save Money
Quick question. What midscreen combos are you using that end in f4, f3~P&G? I tried normal overhead bnb, the b23 2+4, f3, f2, f4, f3~P&G, but I don't think you can link the f4, f3~P&G after adding f2 mid combo?

Last edited:

Forr

Variationless Ferra Torr
It cuts a good bit of damage, but i still throw it out every now and again.

Yeah so far all i can get off overhead is B232+4, (run cancel), F4, F3xxPnG
or just end in F32 the use PnG, you should be able to get it out it's just not as good at punishing wakeups.

Combo carries about half screen, so I would really only sacrifice the damage if you know they will wakeup, or it puts them in the corner.

Pandamoniumz

Don't Listen, Save Money
Ahh gotcha. Corner I've also been ending on just d1~P&G. Something like Neutral jump or overhead string, NJ2, j1, j1, f2, f2, d1~P&G. Leaves them back in the corner, and does good damage. You can also end in d3~P&G but its a tougher link for whatever reason.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
How does png armor work? Like does your 1 hit of armor last the duration of png or only a certain amount of time after activated? I am on PC so I don't know if anything has been patched or not but the armor properties are confusing the fuck out me right now lol.

For example I have jax set to wake up dash punch and I am ending combos in f3-d1~png and the armor never activates.

Last edited:

Forr

Variationless Ferra Torr
How does png armor work? Like does your 1 hit of armor last the duration of png or only a certain amount of time after activated? I am on PC so I don't know if anything has been patched or not but the armor properties are confusing the fuck out me right now lol.

For example I have jax set to wake up dash punch and I am ending combos in f3-d1~png and the armor never activates.
The armor does not work like bane's venom armor where after activation different moves recieve armor. Pain and Gain has somewhere around 70 frames of recovery, shortly after startup the armor activates to "protect" you for the rest of its long recovery. The number of hits of armor depends on the level and the armor is gone as soon as you can move.

Depending on how fast the oppenents wakeup is different setups will either give you a free PnG, then allow you to recovery fast enough to block wakeup and punish.
Or for faster wakeups they hit you while you have armor allowing you to eat the hit and punish during their recovery.

Hopefully that explained it a little better.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
The armor does not work like bane's venom armor where after activation different moves recieve armor. Pain and Gain has somewhere around 70 frames of recovery, shortly after startup the armor activates to "protect" you for the rest of its long recovery. The number of hits of armor depends on the level and the armor is gone as soon as you can move.

Depending on how fast the oppenents wakeup is different setups will either give you a free PnG, then allow you to recovery fast enough to block wakeup and punish.
Or for faster wakeups they hit you while you have armor allowing you to eat the hit and punish during their recovery.

Hopefully that explained it a little better.
The PC version seems to be different (maybe) in this example I am try to get the armor to even work. I go straight to lvl 3 wait a sec and knock down and jax wake up dash punches me and I have no armor.

The only time I can get the armor to work is if I almost use it like a parry while they are still in recovery after that the armor never works.

Forr

Variationless Ferra Torr
It doesn't work forever. It literally protects you for about 1 second, no longer. If the armor stops protecting you and the opponent wakesup, you are able to block. So you get a safe use of damage boost and most likely a punish considering most armor wakeups are punishable.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
It doesn't work forever. It literally protects you for about 1 second, no longer. If the armor stops protecting you and the opponent wakesup, you are able to block. So you get a safe use of damage boost and most likely a punish considering most armor wakeups are punishable.
Ok gotcha so the armor only works for like a second after you active then. That is where all my misconceptions with the move was. I had thought you meant the armor protects for the duration of png not just the recovery animation.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Shade667

#StrongisthenewCute
This is cool stuff. Im learning ruthless atm, and its certainly taking more thought into what im doing than vicious or lackey.

Forr

Variationless Ferra Torr
K I'm having a hard time grasping when the armour is active. Is it only active until you can move after PnG?
Pain and Gain's armor activates shortly after startup and lasts through the recovery frames. As soon as you can move the armor is gone.

Pain and Gain's armor activates shortly after startup and lasts through the recovery frames. As soon as you can move the armor is gone.
So one stack should not be used up close then eh? Because I've been trying but I've just gotten annihilated.

Forr

Variationless Ferra Torr
Using it in the nuetral means death if the oppenent knows what they are doing.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Figure I'll post this from the convo since it holds some relevancy to the matter and I wouldn't mind more hands on deck for it....

I have an idea but my hands are garbage right now.

Can anyone manage to cancel b.1 into PnG by chance?

Otherwise I've found that n.j.2 cancelled directly into f.3xxPnG will give us one free and allow us to continue pressure since it leaves them right in front of us.
Also leaves us at an advantage if they don't tech roll, letting us neutral grab SZ out of his slide clean (meaning we are at least +1 if you don't count the extra frame for shifting back to neutral).

This is especially good in the corner since it means we aren't animation locked, and I think we can get more by doing the b.1 because it launches higher with less gravity.

If your hands are good, it also means deep stab and, by proxy, mb deep stab are available options to blow up wake-ups. Also means d.3 can be used to trade with or beat meter less 6frame+ wakeups.

- After more testing we can d.4 sub zero out of his slide at point blank, meaning it makes us at least +5.

-- More testing, we can f.2 him out of slide clean, so +6 if they don't roll. This also means we can command grab people out of 6 frame wake-ups if we are careful about it.

--- So after my tests I found this set-up lets 15f moves beat the slide and 16f trade, so considering the move is 9 frames this leaves us at +6 or +7 if they don't roll.

Works the same from mid screen and the corner as it leaves them directly in front of us.

If they do roll, the slide will ping off of the last frames of the armor and give us a free punish. This goes for a lot of characters as well barring Gm whose best option is to clone away.

- This means rolling leaves them at +1 out of it all, give or take 2 frames. This is because roll that isn't cancelled has a recovery of about 8 frames, and most characters who can reach us don't have fast/safe enough normals to use.

Tested against Cassie cage and her 6 frame flip. Grab beats it clean, also shows this works on pretty much all body types the same.

Forr

Variationless Ferra Torr
I'm a sucker for damage buffing characters so I am investigating this variation.
The concept is very appealing, but if you're in it solely for the damage buff you'll be left dissapointed. Although when it is used successfully it is extremely gratifying. The command grab is this variations saving grace so use it well.

I will try to update the OP sometime soon with up to date stuff.

Forr

Variationless Ferra Torr
So is this the best variation now ? I've been seeing a lot of people using it lately
I don't think it's fair to compare Lackey and the other variations, they're just too different.

Ruthless vs. Vicious mostly depends on you're playing style as to whether you prefer a better command grab or all the benefits of boss toss. There are matchups where boss toss is a nessasity, but in other matchups it just depends on how well you utilize the grab and personal preference.

Just my opinion others might think differently.

Catnip_Her0

Burn It Down
Yea main reason I use vicious is because no matter how much I practice the command grab lolol I just can't do it lol and boss toss is burned into my muscle memory. Even when I use other characters when I get in a match I play them like I would play vicious. I guess I'm a 1 character 1 variation kinda guy lol.