What's new

Forum Suggestion - Derailment Threads

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
It seems we are getting an unprecedented amount of derailments in threads lately.

Just over the last day or so, we have had big derailments about which MK character is more iconic than the other, transphobia, arguing about the race of certain characters and more.

Given that we are currently wading through a lot of derailed conversations to find relevant discussion about the original topic, I suggest starting derailment threads. If something irrelevant is taking over a thread, start a thread on the topic and get people to move the conversation over. Any other derailments in the original thread can get deleted if a mod sees it (and a warning given if necessary).

This would clean up the forum significantly and would allow people to debate / argue about stuff if they want to without it taking over an existing thread.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
you can't control conversations like that,... sounds good in theory.. but it is just not how people communicate. It never works on any forum I have ever seen... unless you want mass moderator interference and imo that also never works.

Let people talk and let the chat go where it will.. if you want it back on topic.. ignore the off topic shit and just quote and reply to the last ontopic guy and continue the thread conversations.. that will be picked up and continue by others and it is back on topic.... no need for mods to censor and restrict people....

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
you can't control conversations like that,... sounds good in theory.. but it is just not how people communicate. It never works on any forum I have ever seen... unless you want mass moderator interference and imo that also never works.

Let people talk and let the chat go where it will.. if you want it back on topic.. ignore the off topic shit and just quote and reply to the last ontopic guy and continue the thread conversations.. that will be picked up and continue by others and it is back on topic.... no need for mods to censor and restrict people....
The difficulty with this is that is not working and we are having to wade through crap to find the discussion about the original topic. A small derailment which gets resolved within a few posts is fine, but when there are people arguing to the point that they are taking over a thread, it is inappropriate and it is ruining posts.

Many times,, there are pages of derailment, then someone gets really pissed off and tells people stop, and then there is a ban. By creating a new thread on topic, you can let people know about it in the original thread and just let people crap on about the topic in the new post. You can then delete anything concerning the new post after the new topic is created (if seen by a mod) and give warnings if necessary.

We just had another banning. If there was a topic made "Is Sonya the most iconic female of MK - Debate", the person would not be banned and the discussion can continue.

The fact is, people are getting sick of it and it is affecting the forum - people are leaving. I have been here since 2011 and I have had enough myself. We have already had a few old awesome posters who have greatly contributed to the community come back, see the current shit show and leaving straight away. We do not want more members doing the same.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
I completely disagree and imo that banning was ridiculous.

This is a small community. Adding rules about how people chat, enforcing it with modding and even bans will turn this place into a ghost town.

We already only have a smattering of regulars... Rules like this just ensure no one new ever comes.

This is a FAN site now.. Not competitive hub for the off line scene like it used to be... we don't have 1000s of members all online at the same time anymore... the site needs to understand that and change accordingly. This is a place for people to come chat about MK and restricting what they chat about and even more stupid, banning people for chatting about MK but in the "wrong thread" is a death nail.

When there are so few people, people will always simply chat in response to who ever is talking, no matter where it is. That is how conversations work... topics wander... think about the last conversation you had with 3 or more people at the pub.

Last edited:
Derailments are alright. They add to the community if you ask me. As much as I hate holywars I enjoy exchanging views on MK stuff. As long as I don't get called a loser for saying Tanya was never black lol

Last edited:

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
FYI I didn't issue the ban, but they were given a week long ban, not permanent. If all you do when you log in is pick fights with people about a character, it's not productive to the community even if it provides 'entertainment'. After being told multiple times, and they continue to derail threads and insult everyone...I'm sorry but that is 100% ban worthy. It's shitty behavior all around. Negativity is needed sometimes sure, but when it's the only thing you do, you need to chill. Take a bubble bath idk. But, I think if y'all wanna talk about stuff that isn't related to MK or FGs, just make a thread in general discussion about it. As simple as that.

Modding this forum is like parenting young children, all the time. Which makes it worse if you take into consideration some of y'all are adults.

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
I'm just gonna take this opportunity right here to say that if anyone feels like discussing something "derailing" with me, feel absolutely free to just post on my profile or DM me, even if you really just want to say I'm a dumbass.

Some off-topic discussion in a thread is okay (I love the endless memes lol) but I feel like 10 pages about how X character is Z gets old really fast for folks who just thought there were breaking news happening regarding leaked stuff or just wanted to see AI make some silly concepts for characters.

I think the on-topic stuff will pick up a lot more when more content for the game gets revealed, and especially when the game is released. It's wacky at the moment because everyone wants to talk about MK, but there's only so much to talk about. I doubt a thread that's getting de-railed with for/against arguments about whether Sonya is cool or not gets much proportional air time when there are tons of threads about the actual game.