What's new

ForeverKing Wins Galloping Ghost Arcade's Shang Tsung's Fight Night Invitational

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
The scrolls were sent, and the gauntlet thrown. A new game was given the breath of life this week, and with it, some familar faces made their way to Chicago to test their might in the early days of Mortal Kombat X's competitive lifespan. The competitors:

• Carl "Perfect Legend" White
  • ForeverKing
  • GGA Wafflez
  • Slips
  • Nikolass (Qualified via winning the Earn Scroll pre-tournament)
  • DetroitBallin
  • GGA Moe
  • WoundCowboy
  • Combo Master ETC McFly
  • Winter Warz
Although the game is new, the rivalries are not, and the competitive blood already runs deep. Some of these storylines have roots going back two and three years, and the full spectrum of both triumph and salt was on display at the Arcade as some of the best to play Mortal Kombat 9 went into battle in GGA's now-familiar game room.

The particulars haven't been fully fleshed out yet; and the punishes aren't as accurate as they will be come June or July -- but the nascent beginnings of playstyles could be seen in today's tournament. The newly-relocated Slips made a valiant effort with his Scorpion, showcasing a tricky (and decidedly risky) playstyle with Scorpion's Hellfire varation. Wound Cowboy had a string of high-octane matches with Grandmaster Sub-Zero, doing his best to react to everything that was thrown at him (and mostly succeeding throughout the night, sometimes by the skin of his teeth).

And the perrenial high-flying shenanigans of Carl White were on full display as he brought forth a Kung Lao and Raiden that are as fast as anything we've seen in the game so far, complete with withering pressure and a bevy of light-speed mixups. Although Cowboy did his best to stem the tide, the Perfect Storm of nonstop, varied rushdown ultimately overwhelmed him as PL made his way in to Grand Finals.

And in the end, it was King who would come out on top of them all -- as he never looked threatened during the entire course of the event. Solidly in command of Kung Jin's basic options, and armed with Jin's dangerous mixup, as well as his divekick for whiff punishing and a tricky armored wakeup, King seemed to have an answer for every situation and was well prepared for all comers in Chicago.

With things heating up in the weeks to come, from the open craziness of ESL's 500-strong opening salvo tomorrow, to the looming spectre of no less than 5 majors in the game's first couple months, tonight was a perfect way to kickstart what should be a unique and memorable tournament history that will unfold in the weeks to come.

So in the words of the announcement that brought us the game, "Who's Next?" We'll find out; stay tuned.

Bracket: http://challonge.com/STFNInvitational
Stream Archive: http://www.twitch.tv/gallopingghostarcade/b/651368632?t=4h52m6s

Attachments

Last edited:

Obmil

When is Kano trident rush?!
Ahhh i thought only MK Legends received scrolls? How did Woundcowboy get one? I can think of MANY mk9 players with wayy better records than wound..... as a matter of fact.. did wound ever win anything that wasnt a local?

Slymind

Noob
Awesome footage, watching right now.

Slips' Scorpion is always amazing to watch, imo he was already by far the best Scorpion of MK9(and Injustice even post nerf), and now in MKX it's superb as well, i don't know how will be his commitment to tournaments, but i can see him in many top 8s as the game progresses.

Zyos

Zyos aka Mr Mix ya Girl
Was a great event and fun time for everyone,

Kung jin might be the kabal of mkx

:DOGE

cR WoundCowboy

WoundCowbae <3
Ahhh i thought only MK Legends received scrolls? How did Woundcowboy get one? I can think of MANY mk9 players with wayy better records than wound..... as a matter of fact.. did wound ever win anything that wasnt a local?
Actually, Dr. schultz, i have an EVO medal and i did it with a mid tier character at the peak of the game's meta. Meanwhile, you will continue to be second rate in everything you play. Have a nice day :)

Actually, Dr. schultz, i have an EVO medal and i did it with a mid tier character at the peak of the game's meta. Meanwhile, you will continue to be second rate in everything you play. Have a nice day :)
Ppl on the internet haha. I remember before the fatal 8 someone on twitter said "MIT is some trash, not sure why he is there"..... Goes on to get second place lmao.

Dramatica

Forecast calls for missiles
Indeed, but second rate as we may be, most of us would have the compassion, the class, and the balls to replay a round for a guy who traveled from Chile after his stick malfunctioned at the beginning of said round. The failure of any GGA member to step in and do the right thing was disappointing. "We all had to travel" and "He chose to use that equipment" are pale arguments. @GGA 16 Bit

I'm for honor above all else. I guess I shouldn't be following the FGC.

Still a huge GGA and ShangCowboy fan.

redeyes

Button Masher
Indeed, but second rate as we may be, most of us would have the compassion, the class, and the balls to replay a round for a guy who traveled from Chile after his stick malfunctioned at the beginning of said round. The failure of any GGA member to step in and do the right thing was disappointing. "We all had to travel" and "He chose to use that equipment" are pale arguments. @GGA 16 Bit

no matter where your from, if your equipment fucks up, thats on you, not the other guys, when playing for $ you dont give a fuck if their buttons dont work, thats why we have button checks and junk.

you can come from japan it wont matter have the proper equipment and be ready for anything.

have you actually traveled and competed for money to even have a say in what people should do?

class doesnt win tournaments btw

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios

Honor to me would be taking responsibility for your equipment and the consequences of equipment failure.

Replaying matches is pretty much the worst case scenario and should almost never be asked of players.

You can think whatever you want though. I have no problem with this decision and am not a TO anyway.