What's new

General/Other - Ethereal Ethereal Variation General Discussion

TheGabStandard

The anticipation is killing me
This is a good idea splitting the variations apart for ease of sharing strategies. Also I wanted Ethereal to have the first post out of the new discussions so....yeah lol :)

This is my preferred variation. I never see it online but tend to get a lot of wins by doing fade gimmicks.

Understanding when to hold the fade, wait for them to whiff a move...appear and punish.

On topic, B12-Fade was my original gimmick but after some time in training, I realized it could easily be punished by many specials.

2,3-Fade is where the money is at! Mixing it up with F1-fade really messes with the opponents not sure what's going on.

Anyhow, Mileena(all variations) is boring to play and I'm really close to dropping her for the dark side....Erron Black.

Last edited:

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
This is my preferred variation. I never see it online but tend to get a lot of wins by doing fade gimmicks.

Understanding when to hold the fade, wait for them to whiff a move...appear and punish.

On topic, B12-Fade was my original gimmick but after some time in training, I realized it could easily be by many specials.

2,3-Fade is where the money is at! Mixing it up with F1-fade really messes with the opponents not sure what's going on.

Anyhow, Mileena(all variations) is boring to play and I'm really close to dropping her for the dark side....Erron Black.
If you think Mileena is boring, wait until you play a true 50/50 town character aka Erron Black :p

Honestly, I think Mileena's variations need help. Hey are to outclassed by piercing at the moment.

After exploring Ravenous for a little bit, I still think Ethereal has more potential than it. Ravenous is a mess at the moment.

Endding

You picked a bad time to get lost friend
Credit to the Ethereal players for keeping it on lock, for you all especially I hope EX Fade gets fixed.

Will be a good day indeed.

TheGabStandard

If you think Mileena is boring, wait until you play a true 50/50 town character aka Erron Black :p

Honestly, I think Mileena's variations need help. Hey are to outclassed by piercing at the moment.

After exploring Ravenous for a little bit, I still think Ethereal has more potential than it. Ravenous is a mess at the moment.
What are you finding wrong with Ravenous?

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
What are you finding wrong with Ravenous?
Inconsistencies with the tools. B12 1+2 is not easily comboable, Hard to get people to respect Mileena up close due to her slower normals, and just a harder time getting rhythm. I just started really practicing with it, but I find it's definitely missing something.

TheSpore

Nurgle Chaos God of Death and Disease
Inconsistencies with the tools. B12 1+2 is not easily comboable, Hard to get people to respect Mileena up close due to her slower normals, and just a harder time getting rhythm. I just started really practicing with it, but I find it's definitely missing something.
This was the main reason I just couldn't hang with that vari I like the grabs and the low punce likely adds some mix up ideas when you don't have meter, but I just can't truly give up her range and low sai just for those two attacks

Ninjaguy446

all I have is the Green
So Ethereal mains, after seeing Tanya, I feel like Ethereal has gotten no love. It made me want to use this variation a lot more. Hopefully NRS will buff it somehow, but I wanted to know what you guys would want them to change. Perhaps we could put a buff wishlist of what we all think in the first post on the off-chance NRS comes here for ideas. Some of my general ideas are:
  • Make it so you can't be thrown during fade
  • Fade hides you faster
  • MB Fade keeps you hidden longer
  • MB Fade hides you instantly
  • Fade could also work like Scorpion's low minion if the sai lands on the opponent's foot
  • Normal sai on hit could teleport you right in front of the opponent with like +2 or +3
Those are just some ideas of what they could possibly implement. What do you guys think?

• Make it so you can't be thrown during fade
  • Fade hides you faster
  • MB Fade keeps you hidden longer
  • MB Fade hides you instantly
  • Fade could also work like Scorpion's low minion if the sai lands on the opponent's foot
  • Normal sai on hit could teleport you right in front of the opponent with like +2 or +3
Those are just some ideas of what they could possibly implement. What do you guys think?
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. No
4. Yes
5. No
6. No

No need for longer fade delay, 3 seconds is long enough outlast every string in the game. If she can't be thrown on top of this, that'd be a cheap timer scam, lol. Also, not a fan of Fade being an attack. It'd be impossible to hit unless you use Fade Towards. And even that is near impossible to aim right.

Someone suggested an air version in the other Ethereal thread. I dunno if it's needed or practical, but it would be nice. Especially when compared to Tanya.

Ninjaguy446

all I have is the Green
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. No
4. Yes
5. No
6. No

No need for longer fade delay, 3 seconds is long enough outlast every string in the game. If she can't be thrown on top of this, that'd be a cheap timer scam, lol. Also, not a fan of Fade being an attack. It'd be impossible to hit unless you use Fade Towards. And even that is near impossible to aim right.

Someone suggested an air version in the other Ethereal thread. I dunno if it's needed or practical, but it would be nice. Especially when compared to Tanya.
That's true, I didn't even think of an air version. It seems like Tanya took all of Ethereal's possible swag :(

So an amazing patch for Ethereal would be can't be thrown in fade, normal fade hides you faster, air fade, and MB fade hides you instantly. Would these changes solve all of Ethereal's issues and make it tournament viable? Also, would it be helpful to have 2 versions of the air fade, one where she reappears on the ground where she threw it, and one where she appears at the same height in the air but moved to the sai's location?

TheGabStandard

That's true, I didn't even think of an air version. It seems like Tanya took all of Ethereal's possible swag :(

So an amazing patch for Ethereal would be can't be thrown in fade, normal fade hides you faster, air fade, and MB fade hides you instantly. Would these changes solve all of Ethereal's issues and make it tournament viable? Also, would it be helpful to have 2 versions of the air fade, one where she reappears on the ground where she threw it, and one where she appears at the same height in the air but moved to the sai's location?
It would definitely help. I think with MB Fade it should have a hit of armour on wakeup like Scorpion and Ermac, not sure if Takeda gets armour on wakeup teleport.

I'm not sure about air fades as a thing but it could work I suppose.

Last edited:

Endding

You picked a bad time to get lost friend
Really hoping they fix Ethereal, after seeing Tanya's Tele Shenans I neeeed this in my life.

Anybody know when the next major balance patch will drop? If it's gonna be fixed I assume it will be with that

TheGabStandard

Really hoping they fix Ethereal, after seeing Tanya's Tele Shenans I neeeed this in my life.

Anybody know when the next major balance patch will drop? If it's gonna be fixed I assume it will be with that
I'm assuming it won't be anytime before Evo but there hasn't been any indication of when one is due so who knows.

For the record, I don't exactly need Mileena to BECOME Tanya. Just that I'm seeing a lot of things they clearly improved upon when designing Tanya. Making what she has work better is more important to me than giving her new shit entirely.

StormGoddess

Your mind tricks won't harm me!!!
i so want to love this variation. seeing Tanya, i don't understand why she can't perform these teleports in all 3 variations. Give Ethereal some love NRS.
Make Ethereal into something worth playing.
i truly think that some variations were after thoughts and filler. (Ethereal and High Tech Jacqui)

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
from the hotfix ex fade is now listed as 12 frame start up rather than 22, still no armor/wake up armor though

TheGabStandard

from the hotfix ex fade is now listed as 12 frame start up rather than 22, still no armor/wake up armor though
huh, interesting. I would like to go back to this variation soon as been playing Piercing a lot. I know nothing good awaits me in Ethereal right now but I just have an affinity to it

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
Does it seem faster to you? Or do you think that's just a correction on the actual frame data numbers?
cant say 100%, either way move still has no armor/wakeup armor/projectile immunity and can still be thrown so its still booty

huh, interesting. I would like to go back to this variation soon as been playing Piercing a lot. I know nothing good awaits me in Ethereal right now but I just have an affinity to it
ye i feel ya, personally i dont think ravenous is very good for how i like to play so i was putting time into ethereal but at the min the trade off for what you lose is 110% not worth what u get in that variation

Looks like everyone's sentiments are the same as mine. Came in here to see what people think about ethereal after seeing Tanya.

Ethereal is a variation based on a teleport that is worse than tanya's version which she has across all variations. Right now I see absolutely no reason at all to use ethereal outside of character loyalty. Even if you let her do it in the air, tanya's startup is better (I believe) and the moves she can cancel into from aerial versions are superior.

It blows my mind... a variation that's supposed to be appealing because of a single special... but another character has the same type of move only better as a basic tool?

I'm not even curious about the thought process here from NRS. I'm convinced that there was none.

TheSpore

Nurgle Chaos God of Death and Disease
All this variation needs is less SU frames and less Recovery to make it useful, as well as immunity to throw while faded out (why the hell that is I don't know u should be safe during the teleport) it just makes the vari useless as it revolves around this teleport u can't even extend combos using it. I am somewhat wanting to suggest a hit of armour on EX tele.