What's new

Escaping Kano's X Ray on wake/getting up

Flagg

Noob
If Kano has a character cornered, and they get up, regardless of what they do, if he activates his X Ray as they get up, it will connect, or am I wrong?

I dont know if Cage can activate his XRay as he gets up but apart from armoured teleports and possibly a Cage X Ray, what can escape his X Ray if he uses it as a mega OTG?

Flagg

Noob
What im getting at, is doing massive damage with him if he's lucky to get a toasty boost.

Combos like B112, 212, F12 grab/ball can be ended in uppercut instead. You get slightly less damage (2% drop), but you of course get the chance to build full meter. You can in fact end nearly all his combos, corner or midscreen, in uppercuts.

He also has some nice wall combos, that can end in uppercut and keep the opponent there, for example:

F3B2, 212, 212, uppercut. Opponent doesnt get launched out of the corner and they stay here.

He also has a nice "wall carry" combo, B112, 212, 212, uppercut....37%. If you got the boost, and activated your X Ray as they got up from the corner, you'd get close to 78% damage.

Gruntypants

THE MUFFINS ARE BEEFY
You can stay on the ground, you can tech roll and jump out (probably), or you can use wakeup invincibility frames to not get grabbed.

Flagg

Noob
You can stay on the ground, you can tech roll and jump out (probably), or you can use wakeup invincibility frames to not get grabbed.
Hmm, does that work on his X Ray? I genuinely dont know. So if Kung Lao did a spin on wake up, the invincibility frames protect him from being grabbed by the X Ray?

Gruntypants

THE MUFFINS ARE BEEFY
Hmm, does that work on his X Ray? I genuinely dont know. So if Kung Lao did a spin on wake up, the invincibility frames protect him from being grabbed by the X Ray?
I don't believe all regular wakeups have invincibilty frames, but all EX wakeups give 10 frames of invincibility. I don't think lao's spin has invincibility but the ex spin does. Regular teleport has invincibility though.

Flagg

Noob
I don't believe all regular wakeups have invincibilty frames, but all EX wakeups give 10 frames of invincibility. I don't think lao's spin has invincibility but the ex spin does. Regular teleport has invincibility though.
Hmm. It's not been found yet, but im sure there is a toasty boost input for Kano. People say Kano is only effective with full meter, and well this could be something significant for him. Of course it's big for anyone, but certain characters suddenly become psychologically harder to fight with full meter. No one wants to go near someone like Kano, Cage, KL, Skarlet, QC when they have full meter.

I guess you could still be clever with it if you had someone cornered. I mean one fuck up and they lose 41%, worse if they've just been hit with a 35%+ combo that ended in toasty boost.

Pretty sure it's all timing. People would HAVE to wake up immediately, which you can just bait and punish 99% of the time. Anyone that decides to stay grounded is completely boned... I'd guess you could just x-ray on reaction to them getting up/learn the max time somebody can stay grounded, then execute properly and it'll probably be inescapable by most characters. This is all theory though, so somebody would have to try to be sure.

I certainly use this a lot though (minus the toasty business) when I play kano, but I'm honestly not sure how escapable it is. Hoping for a toasty boost is a hell of a risk though, but I guess that you aren't exactly losing much by taking that risk.

Flagg

Noob
Pretty sure it's all timing. People would HAVE to wake up immediately, which you can just bait and punish 99% of the time. Anyone that decides to stay grounded is completely boned... I'd guess you could just x-ray on reaction to them getting up/learn the max time somebody can stay grounded, then execute properly and it'll probably be inescapable by most characters. This is all theory though, so somebody would have to try to be sure.

I certainly use this a lot though (minus the toasty business) when I play kano, but I'm honestly not sure how escapable it is. Hoping for a toasty boost is a hell of a risk though, but I guess that you aren't exactly losing much by taking that risk.
Oh I understand what you mean, but playing around in the lab, you can end a lot of Kano's combos in uppercut at the sacrifice of 1 or 2%. You do lose a little momentum, but I suspect this "toasty tech" that is now doing the rounds could change the meta game quite a bit.

KL, Cage and LK can combo off of their X Rays, imagine them getting a boost AFTER hitting an X Ray. A toasty QC is just a joke.

Or maybe it wont change much, and people will just be fortunate. After all, how often do you see Toasties in tournie play? Once every 5-10 matches?

Characters like Sonya and QC can punish a lot with Uppercut, so this could be something that happens more with characters that have fast uppercuts.