What's new

Question Earth Shake Opinions?

chowdizzle

Time for the Bland Salami!
I'm not a Doomsday player so I came here and thought I could get some opinions from you guys who do play him. First off I don't think this character is OP, but he's very good. However I have been the victim of some Earth Shake spam online. I've gone into practice mode and practiced blocking it and had it consistent to where it was basically every time I could block it. However I've only been able to block it once online, and it's really annoying.

If I were playing this game in tourney blocking it would be much less of an issue but I don't have the luxury to compete often at all so as it is, this move is ridiculous to me. I'm aware that the low only does 2% damage but the issue for me is that it's a hard knockdown. THAT is the only part that I feel is too good about this move, untechable knockdown off of that? Really? Do you guys think that DD absolutely needs that? Would it ruin him if they nerfed it and made it techable?

Also, is this move punishable with a reversal?

cyke_out

Noob
If you have no problem blocking it off-line, then there is no issue. if they made the move any worse to compensate for the on-line, it would be even easier to block off-line to the point of being useless.

You cannot change the off-line game just appease the online portion.

chowdizzle

If you have no problem blocking it off-line, then there is no issue. if they made the move any worse to compensate for the on-line, it would be even easier to block off-line to the point of being useless.

You cannot change the off-line game just appease the online portion.
That's why I feel like the only change should be that you can tech the knockdown. My only issue with your point is that in a month everyone will block this offline anyways. This move in time will be basically useless anyways.

MastererBetty

Your Tears My Strength
Even if they block the whole thing it builds great meter you can also change the strings you do ES with to keep them guessing

chowdizzle

Even if they block the whole thing it builds great meter you can also change the strings you do ES with to keep them guessing
That's a good point. So even if I manage to block it is there a downside? This move seems to do everything to set up DD's game.

Yes, it would ruin him if they made it techable.

You've realized the reason yourself- ES basically defines Doomsday's game plan. He's a rush down character without 50/50 chains, plus frames off light attacks, or a grapple. Occasionally getting a hard knock down with 2% damage is his reward for getting in.

As it is, the hard knockdown doesn't set up much- you're not locked down long enough to e forced to block a jip d3, or even a standing 2 or 3 (unles you're in the corner). DD's oki after an es is easy to block, vulnerable to wake up attacks, and can mostly be avoided with a wake up backdash.

chowdizzle

Yes, it would ruin him if they made it techable.

You've realized the reason yourself- ES basically defines Doomsday's game plan.

As it is, the hard knockdown doesn't set up much. DD's oki after an es is easy to block, vulnerable to wake up attacks, and can mostly be avoided with a wake up backdash.
This was the answer I was looking for. Thanks for the tip.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
chowdizzle, tbh with you i really dont think it would ruin DD's game style if they made his ES techable. He still has so many other options to fuck up his opponent, plus many other untechable knock downs (AS, sweep, throw, B13, 221+3, B2). Also allowing them to roll after a ES knock down would lead them faster in the corner where DD dominates the entire cast.