Votes: 15 12.4%
  • average MKX

Votes: 51 42.1%
  • He needs it

Votes: 74 61.2%

• Total voters

4x4lo8o

Noob
Deceptive Reptile got a pretty good buff to his Invisibility with this patch. He got some frame traps and new combos and in general it's easier to get your Invisibility up for offensive set ups, but they also gave him this:

That is Deceptive Reptile's Invisibility Parry. It is a ridiculously useful parry.
It works because Invisibility(dd3+block) has a hit of armor. Since the entire move is only 16 frames you can activate it and use that armor to absorb a hit and then go into a normal to punish the opponents recovery. Generally you can go into a full combo with f412 which does 34% midscreen with no bar beyond what you already spent on the parry.

You can use it for footsies:
If you guess wrong or time it too early it's ok because you can just block. Even if you get hit somehow the Invisibility eats the damage from the first hit and the opponent will probably screw up the juggle because you're invisible. If you really misread and the opponent backed off instead that's ok too because you're completely safe and were actually spending the bar on an offensive setup - now you're playing invisible footsies

You can use it to punish projectiles:
On second thought it might be better to just use ex-slide. I dunno, take it to the lab maybe? I bet this is good

You can use it to interrupt gaps in strings for a full combo:
If the opponent tries something tricky in anticipation of you armoring through the gaps it's ok - you might still be able to punish and even if you can't you're probably safe and maybe even still invisible.

You can use it to escape set ups:
If you guess wrong, that's ok. You were probably going to guess wrong anyway. Quan Chi got buffed more than Reptile so that one's on NRS

You can use it to punish attempts at pressure while you're negative:
Cassie's ex-flipkick hasn't got shit on this. If they were too scared and blocked they just gave you a free invisible mix up

You can use it to ignore mixups while you get up:
Even if they block to bait a wake up you're safe. And invisible.

Sometimes you can even punish their meaty attacks:
No need to make a read here. You just wake up with it and blow up whatever they did.

Oh, this works the other way around too. Blowing up wake up attacks:
Armor? Two hits? Safe on block? Who cares?

Some characters can't really do anything about it:
I'm not making reads here, I'm pressing the same thing every time.

Even if they have a move that hits twice fast enough to break the parry, you can usually block it and punish:
Did you notice I'm setting that up off pounce? I end half my combos with that move anyway. If they delay their wake up they have to block an invisible mix up. I guess they can back dash and deal with invisible zoning

So, yeah, this move is pretty good. It's armor that's safe(not just on block, it's almost impossible to punish) and leads to good damage. Plus it gives him a defense buff(activating invisibility makes it so the next hit he takes doesn't deal damage*) and doubles as an offensive set up. When you add in the the frame traps he gets off it now(did you f21~invis is like plus 6 on block and combo's on hit? That's a gdlk footsie) plus the increased combo potential this is probably the single best move in the game.

The only thing better than an Invisibility parry is an invisible Invisibility parry

@THTB
@G4S J360
@huh
@MastererBetty (I'm tagging you even though I'm still salty about that match at Evo two years ago)
@Fraud Blank
(sorry all you other Reptile guys, I don't know all of you yet!)
@Eminent
@KingHippo
@ando1184
@CitizenSnips58 (fake Citizensnips)

Edit for all the people saying this isn't new: you could do maybe 2 of these things before, and even those it couldn't do as well or as safely as it does now. For all practical intents and purposes this is a new thing Reptile got

Last edited:

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
I really don't get why Kano's been pissed on right after the patch, but Reptile was left with this. No disrespect to Reptile players, much disrespect to NRS.
Also, let's be clear that as Kano players WE DON'T WANT Reptile to get the Kano treatment. Deceptive is now a very interesting and good variation, it would also be a shame if he got shafted since Ex invis has alot of utility.

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
Also, let's be clear that as Kano players WE DON'T WANT Reptile to get the Kano treatment. Deceptive is now a very interesting and good variation, it would also be a shame if he got shafted since Ex invis has alot of utility.
Yeah, I mean, both moves basically have the same purpose - gain armor and frame advantage for one meter, yet Kano's been shit on. You can easily get 14% from a throw as invisible Reptile the same as +14% to a combo with Kano's power up, but Kano loses health and scales more. I really don't understand NRS's logic.

4x4lo8o

Noob
I really don't get why Kano's been pissed on right after the patch, but Reptile was left with this. No disrespect to Reptile players, much disrespect to NRS.
Not "left" with this. Given this. You couldn't use it this way pre-patch. NRS wanted us to have this!

Last edited:

imblackjames

Ive seen the leprechaun
This is awesome awesome stuff.

Now im not super familiar with both characters respective "parrys" but does kotal Kahns ex parry not pretty much work like this?

RapZiLLa54

Monster Island Tournaments
This isn't new, deceptive always had this, it's the main reason deceptive mains considered him to be good. Stop with the crying

This is what pisses me off. People are going to "discover" shit he already had. That was literally the only thing deceptive mains held as to why they thought he was good.... Now because the character isn't garbage its op? Fuck this site

Last edited:

Bobbyxton_

It's Official
This is what pisses me off. People are going to "discover" shit he already had. That was literally the only thing deceptive mains held as to why they thought he was good.... Now because the character isn't garbage its op? Fuck this site
Your words ring true like a heavenly bell blessing my ears like a delicate song sung by a choir of angels.

This has been the main attraction for Reppy Deceptive players for a long time, but bottom 5 to top 5 in three and a half minutes? Fucking delicious.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Good shit

Also this just makes the Kano situation that much worse
@SaltShaker.
@Youphemism
@DougDFC
@Every Kano player ever.
Wow. Unbelievable. Nerf Kano though right NRS? Fuck them.

Yes you could.... It was used to full combo punish holes in strings and counter pokes, now that it recovers faster it can punish more.
Derp said it best, we're happy Reptile got buffed and he deserved it. But the Kano's over here had their similar purpose move recovery speed buffed too, and in turn were punished for it by NRS by having it nerfed to the ground, and didn't receive any other buffs to compensate. While everyone else was simply significantly buffed to be better characters. It sucks man, there's tons of reason to be salty on this side of town.

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
Your words ring true like a heavenly bell blessing my ears like a delicate song sung by a choir of angels.

This has been the main attraction for Reppy Deceptive players for a long time, but bottom 5 to top 5 in three and a half minutes? Fucking delicious.
It's not necessary new, but the patch gave it alot more utility thanks to the recovery and damage buff. It's essentially a brand new tool now, I can see why people are excited @RapZiLLa54

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
Damage buff? IDK about that. All his combos do the same as pre-patch
Wut.

I watched the videos but my Internet speed stops me from seeing anything 240p or higher so I couldn't see the damage %. For his BnB what would the difference be?

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
Wut.

I watched the videos but my Internet speed stops me from seeing anything 240p or higher so I couldn't see the damage %. For his BnB what would the difference be?
If you're referring to the vids sorry haven't watched them yet. I'm assuming you think EX Invis gives a damage buff? If so, then no it doesn't.