What's new

Strategy - Cutthroat db1 safety vs the whole cast

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
db1 in Cutthroat is a great tool. It reaches almost half screen, on hit it grants a 50/50 or pressure and it's relatively safe. How safe you might ask? Well I did the research. It is a lot safer from max distance where most pokes won't reach you, however there are not that many characters that get a full combo either way. Even so the punishes that are non reversal (ie not special moves) are 1 or 2 frame punishes. I'm highlighting those that give you 2f window to punish with an * as those are significantly easier.

DISCLAIMER: Some of this data is from in game frame data so it might be off. This is also counting the 1 frame needed to unblock before executing a normal, which I'm fairly certain is there (ie you need a 7 frame or less normal to punish db1, correct me if I'm wrong).

Character - Close/Far

Cassie - D1, S1, S2*, d3, Flip and EX Flip / Nothing
D'vorah - S1 / Nothing
Ermac - D1* / D1*
Erron Black - Nothing / Nothing
Ferra/Torr - D3, D1 (Lackey)* / D1 (Lackey)*
Goro - D1*, D3*, Command Grab and EX Command Grab / D1*
Jacqui - S1*, D1 / Nothing
Jason - Nothing / Nothing
Jax - S1*, D1, D2, Nothing
Johnny Cage - Nothing / Nothing
Kano - Upball and EX Upball / Nothing
Kenshi - Nothing / Nothing
Kitana - Nothing / Nothing
Kotal Kahn - D1, D3*, D4*, D2 / D1, D3* (Sometimes), D4*, D2 (Sometimes)
Kung Jin - D1, S2, S2 (Shaolin) / D1, S2, S2 (Shaolin)
Kung Lao - Spin and EX Spin / EX Spin
Liu Kang - F1*, D2 / F1*, D2
Mileena - Roll / Nothing
Predator - D3 / Nothing
Quan Chi - D1* / Nothing
Raiden - F1*, D1 / F1*, D1
Reptile - D3, Reptilian Dash and EX Reptilian Dash, EX Slide / EX Slide, Reptilian Dash and EX Reptilian Dash(if db1 is done at the VERY edge dash won't hit)
Scorpion - D1*, D3 / Nothing
Shinnok - D1*, D2, F4 / F4
Sonya - D1, D4 / Nothing
Sub-Zero - S1 / Nothing
Takeda - Nothing / Nothing
Tanya - D1, EX teleport, B2 (Kobu Jutsu), D2 / B2 (Kobu Jutsu)
Tremor - F1 / F1

TL;DR
Point blank Cassie, D'Vorah, Goro, Jacqui, Jax, Kung Jin, Kung Lao, Liu Kang, Mileena, Raiden, Reptile, Shinnok, Sub-Zero, Tanya and Tremor get a full combo.

Cassie, Kung Lao, Mileena, Reptile (with meter) and Tanya (with meter) get an easy, ie reversal, punish into full combo. Goro and reptile (without meter) get an easy, ie reversal, punish but no combo.

From a distance ONLY Kung Jin, Kung Lao (with meter), Liu Kang, Raiden, Reptile (with meter), Shinnok (with meter),Tanya (in Kobu Jutsu) and Tremor get a full combo.

Kung Lao (with meter) and Reptile (with meter and spacing dependent) are the only characters that get an easy, ie reversal, full combo punish.

You might eat a poke but that's about it for a lot of the cast. Bear in mind that those that can't punish you with a reversal have a 1-2f window to punish you.

@ando1184
@bdizzle2700
@countrypistol
@Derptile
@FlappyDaniel
@MrInsaynne
@SaltShaker
@The Hex Man
@Youphemism
@ETC AdmiralAugustus
@Phosferrax
@FireBreather
@kabelfritz

Last edited:

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
Added some info to OP to show how (if your opponent can't time their 1-2f punish consistently) you can abuse this with the right spacing.