What's new

General/Other - Sub-Zero Cyromancer and Unbreakable hopes.

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
If Reo can make a balance fix list for the whole game, then I feel its ok to make a small list of adjustments for one character that I would hope to see for Unbreakable and Cryomancer. Since the start of the game, I have only main-ed Sub Zero, and I have a UK major win under my belt, I feel I know this character inside and out as early as this game is.

Lets be serious, Grandmaster is totally fine, lets not worry about that anymore, hopefully the community can put that to bed now.

These are not huge buffs, these are just small adjustments to strings, push back and hit levels, and if you have any knowledge of the character, you will understand, none of this will break the game.

UNIVERSAL:
112: Should remain -9 on block, but should have slightly more added pushback, as currently, it can only be used for combo enders, and nothing trumps the slide, or cold blooded.

114: Should be -6, the recovery frames should remain, to deny any shenanigans after ward by Sub Zero players who would attempt to misuse the string on the block.

MB Ice Ball; Faster on start up, as it doesn't really work as intended, it isn't as free as you would think to react to a projectile and blow through it with a 21 frame start up, most times, you get hit out of the MB ice ball completely, and lose the bar in the process.

CYRO:
D2: 9-10 frame start up, down from 13.

F421+3: On block should push the opponent back out of D4 range, but stay -11. On hit should be slightly plus on hit with way less knock back on the re-stand, giving you enough advantage for a standing 1, but not enough for B3, or B2, (14 and 17 frames) which means you would need to be +8, guaranteeing a standing 1, but nothing else. This would still allow a dash back on a B3. And if that is somehow too much to ask, then maybe consider an enhanced version of the string.

111: The last hit should be overhead, it should give enough stagger on hit for a RC F4, and on a full hit confirm you should be able to combo a normal ice ball without using a MB ice ball. Even if this was applied, there will be no 11, 11, 111 nonsense, as 11 is -5 with pushback and 31 recovery frames. 111 should stay -5 on block. It is currently only +1 on hit, nothing comes of this variation specific string without meter, not even a normal hammer on hit.

F122: The string should be -6, down from -8 on block, and pop up a tiny bit higher to allow the NJP easier.

F4 Hammer: Should be a 100% true block string, as right now, you can armour the hammer as it hits on block, even from F4.

Regular Hammer: Should be 0 on block as it 100% punishable when cancelled from every single string before the hammer lands, by everyone without armour (apart from F4). F4 hammer is punishable vs anyone with an armoured move, and certain characters can punish it on block without meter anyway, (Jax for example) I don't feel it should be punishable on block AND punishable before it hits, something has to give.
So I feel it should be 0 on block, and a true block string from F4, meaning you could still normally punish the hammer from any other string before it hits, even without armour.

MB Hammer should push back all opponents on block, even characters with short pushback, like Scorpion, Jax and Kotal.

Air Hammer: Should be Overhead then Low, and -6, down from -8, and possibly grant a hard knock down, either way, the hard knock down doesn't matter.

UNBREAKABLE:
MB Aura should reduce throw damage from 8% to 5%.

Aura cancel from F42, B12 and 123 should also be plus on block, just like it is from F4. Sub Zero's options from this can still be armoured.

When Aura is active, Sub Zero's throw damage should be buffed.

Faster uppercut in unbreakable variation.

Can anyone give me feedback on what they think might be too much? Considering these two variations will never be used by the majority while Grandmaster is a thing.

EDIT: I don't think B33 should combo into a normal ice ball, as right now it is fair that you use meter to combo from it. If you have access to a 50/50, you should have to spend meter to compensate. It is fine how it is, and it means you have to manage your meter. If Sub zero didn't use meter for a B33 hit confirm, then he wouldn't need meter for combos at all.

Last edited:

Rickyraws

This mean you don't like me?
I think those buffs are reasonable. I personally think that as a whole, Subby is fine, but Grandmaster is gravitated towards because the others may lack 'incentive' in certain MUs. For example; Unbreakable seems to be the go to variation for heavy zoners, but Ice Clone absorbs projectiles anyway and MB Ice ball straight up nullifies them. So while the concept is true, it isn't drastically so. Hence a lot of Subs getting by by knowing just one variation.

I would vote to differentiate the variations even more as a method to make every one of them enticing. This way it becomes not even just a matter of picking the right variation per MU, but also the right variation per opponent. Let me explain.

Cryomancer's d2 is already different from the other two variations. I feel Sub's d2 could be made a little more effective as a reliable anti air. But what may be more wise would be to make Cryomancer's d2 even more potent, with a faster start up and range, making it an excellent anti air tool. Against jump happy players or characters, a person may opt to not use Grandmaster due to the fact that the previously viable anti airing tactic of clone-baits do not work the same way. If they find difficulty in the MU, they may be willing to sacrifice the tool simply for that anti air. They will be sacrificing the oppressively dominating corner pressure but by no means damage.

Unbreakable lacks a frost bomb. While parry seems to be a go to get off me option, it lacks the start up and recovery speed that would make not having an armored launcher (MB frost bomb) no big deal. In theory, MB ice aura offsets this to allow the player to take more risks. And the damage reduction IS significant. However to make the variation more enticing, a little more can be done to say make the parry even more deadly, or accentuate a lame style of play. Ice cloning all day seems to be a safe, defensive lame style of play but if say Unbreakable's ice balls were the only ones to do chip damage, it may allow players to gravitate towards standing back and zoning. While it's still a high, it builds meter and all but beckons the opponent to come near. Parry, MB ice aura, or regular ice aura coupled with Sub's normals make that a chore for the opponent. A fairly slow high that deals chip damage isn't going to make or break a character by any means. But like I said, it promotes a certain type of play. Differentiating the three variations in this manner I think make them all very tempting, difficult , viable choices when deciding how to fight certain match ups. And honestly, in a perfect world, I believe that's what variations should do.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
why does everyone keep leaving out b33~freeze as universal combo against the cast?

that alone would make a difference for the other variations that rely on meter already.

The other stuff is just gravy.

I think exParry should freeze all attacks period (not xray).

I think parry should recover instantly on a projectile nullification.

Cryomancer needs frame overhauls. the ender daggers should be his nutpunch.
He needs his 2,2 string from MK9 to be brought back in this variation in all its glory.

The only thing I really want is...

Universal: b33~ freeze can be done on the entire cast male or female.

Unbreakable: Pretty much already mentioned in the OP, more strings canceled into aura that are safe on block.

Cyromancer: F421 on hit leaves Sub Zero plus at plus frames instead of just neutral. (inb4 "just use MB Throw" No, fuck you)

Lokheit

Noob
For me fixing B3,3 so it can connect an Iceball into anyone in the cast would be just enough (and according to frame data it should, so it should go on the "fixing not intended behaviour" list for them and I'm surprised it isn't fixed yet). Suddenly you have the same meterless 50/50 game you have against females in all your matches.

Also fixing 111 on Cryomancer as the frame data indicates that it should be able to connect into Iceball and it doesn't (even EX Hammer which has fewer frames then Iceball fails to connect). 111 right now is only useful as a fast punisher in the corner wasting 1 bar to connect the EX Bomb. It's his highest punisher damage from a 6 frame move at 37% though.

After that, maybe make F122 more reliable as right now it screws up a lot of combos because of the launch angle and the position you end up. I don't think it's neccesary to make the final hit safer, I use it as F12 and when I see it isn't blocked I use the last 2 (you have plenty of time to confirm this one). F12 is 0 on block so you're perfectly safe, but the issue here is how the juggle is not worth it because how much time it can screw things in crucial moments.

Edit: Agree on Air Hammer needing something, right now it isn't worth it and it's a pity given how cool it is. Overhead first hit, then low (which goes with other pounding attacks so it's fine) could be cool, and the move deinitely needs to be safe to be of any use given how low and easy to see the move is, it should stagger a little bit more than it does.

To be honest I'm not really sure what I want to see with this move, when the "keep them standing" tech was discovered I had some hopes for it to be our "nutpunch" in the corner, but that tech is too freaking hard to replicate and relly on it. If it could do just that, keep them standing with +frames for you, it would be great.

Last edited:

LaidbackOne

Scrubby nice guy
Gotta agree with the Unbreakable changes. He looses almost a great anti ji in this variation so a better uppercut would be perfect. Imo Parry has shitty startup and is unreliable as a wakeup so any changes to it would be welcome.

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
I can't stress it enough but I rrreeaallyy want unbreakable to parry interactables and jump ins. Also if the shield parrys a projectile, ice aura should automatically activate. Lastly a little less recovery on shield and were good. He already scales so much.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
I would never ask for B33 freeze to work an all chars meterlessly regardless of variation.

Let me get this straight, you people want a top 10 character with the best footsies in the game, best corner game, best space control, great normals and more to not spend meter whatsoever on anything.

What will he do with that meter? Always use on ex ice bust, it is a good wakeup, it anti airs normal jumps, jump kicks, crossups.

No, this character could do with being a little meter starved, at least in GM. You have amazing tools, if you want mixups then you should not only hitconfirm but use meter as well.

TheIrishFGCguy

Pew pew pew
I would never ask for B33 freeze to work an all chars meterlessly regardless of variation.

Let me get this straight, you people want a top 10 character with the best footsies in the game, best corner game, best space control, great normals and more to not spend meter whatsoever on anything.

What will he do with that meter? Always use on ex ice bust, it is a good wakeup, it anti airs normal jumps, jump kicks, crossups.

No, this character could do with being a little meter starved, at least in GM. You have amazing tools, if you want mixups then you should not only hitconfirm but use meter as well.
While I completely agree on B33, Sub Zero does not have the best footsies in the game.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta

His non clone footsie is rather bad.

TheIrishFGCguy

Pew pew pew
His clone is the best footsie tool in the entire game.
Debatable. I would argue that Kung Jin has the best footsies considering he out-footsies the entire cast with absolutely no effort. F2,4, his B1 string, jumping 2, and neutral jump are all equally stupid.

But, I see where you're coming from. In a way the klone is so good that it just bypasses footsies altogether.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
If they were so good whyis no one using them. Hmmmmmm
Because the game is a month old and only 2 subzeros capable of competing are travelling?

But yeah, let's buff our top 10 char. It's like this forum spews buffs without thinking about the consequences, only having the bare minimum of an idea of what footsies actually are.

If you can't outfootsie people using ice clone, you fucking suck.

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator

Can anyone give me feedback on what they think might be too much? Considering these two variations will never be used by the majority while Grandmaster is a thing.
wasnt reo's thread a guess thread?, you've just made a thread with 15 buffs requests for your char (that most deem as top10/top tier/not a shitter etc.)

using the point of "these two variations will never be used by the majority" is a dangerous one,
should kung jin other two variations get as many buffs (with no nerfs) as you suggested for subby seeing as besides chris g ,kung jins are 99% bojutsu?
should displacer and master of storms get 15 buffs because everyone uses thunder lord?

you want safer strings, safe specials to cancel those into, plus frames on cancels and to have a d2 with prop one of the best hitboxes in the game put down to 9 frames and thats not even all the stuff you asked for, whether or not if they be game breaking i highly doubt sub zero needs all that but i do agree about the string that resets standing should be given some more advantage frames

ciaran carrick

Lars a noob
If they were so good whyis no one using them. Hmmmmmm
thats stunted logic

If Reo can make a balance fix list for the whole game, then I feel its ok to make a small list of adjustments for one character that I would hope to see for Unbreakable and Cryomancer. Since the start of the game, I have only main-ed Sub Zero, and I have a UK major win under my belt, I feel I know this character inside and out as early as this game is.

Lets be serious, Grandmaster is totally fine, lets not worry about that anymore, hopefully the community can put that to bed now.

These are not huge buffs, these are just small adjustments to strings, push back and hit levels, and if you have any knowledge of the character, you will understand, none of this will break the game.

UNIVERSAL:
112: Should remain -9 on block, but should have slightly more added pushback, as currently, it can only be used for combo enders, and nothing trumps the slide, or cold blooded.

114: Should be -6, the recovery frames should remain, to deny any shenanigans after ward by Sub Zero players who would attempt to misuse the string on the block.

MB Ice Ball; Faster on start up, as it doesn't really work as intended, it isn't as free as you would think to react to a projectile and blow through it with a 21 frame start up, most times, you get hit out of the MB ice ball completely, and lose the bar in the process.

CYRO:
D2: 9-10 frame start up, down from 13.

F421+1: On block should push the opponent back out of D4 range, but stay -11. On hit should be slightly plus on hit with way less knock back on the re-stand, giving you enough advantage for a standing 1, but not enough for B3, or B2, (14 and 17 frames) which means you would need to be +8, guaranteeing a standing 1, but nothing else. This would still allow a dash back on a B3. And if that is somehow too much to ask, then maybe consider an enhanced version of the string.

111: The last hit should be overhead, it should give enough stagger on hit for a RC F4, and on a full hit confirm you should be able to combo a normal ice ball without using a MB ice ball. Even if this was applied, there will be no 11, 11, 111 nonsense, as 11 is -5 with pushback and 31 recovery frames. 111 should stay -5 on block. It is currently only +1 on hit, nothing comes of this variation specific string without meter, not even a normal hammer on hit.

F122: The string should be -6, down from -8 on block, and pop up a tiny bit higher to allow the NJP easier.

F4 Hammer: Should be a 100% true block string, as right now, you can armour the hammer as it hits on block, even from F4.

Regular Hammer: Should be at least 0 on block, if not + to allow another F4, as it 100% punishable when cancelled from every single string before the hammer lands, by everyone without armour (apart from F4). F4 hammer is punishable vs anyone with an armoured move, and certain characters can punish it on block without meter anyway, (Jax for example) I don't feel it should be punishable on block AND punishable before it hits, something has to give.
So I feel it should be + on block, and a true block string from F4, meaning you could still normally punish the hammer from any other string before it hits, even without armour.

MB Hammer should push back all opponents on block, even characters with short pushback, like Scorpion, Jax and Kotal.

Air Hammer: Should be Overhead then Low, and -6, down from -8, and possibly grant a hard knock down, either way, the hard knock down doesn't matter.

UNBREAKABLE:
MB Aura should reduce throw damage from 8% to 5%.

Aura cancel from F42, B12 and 123 should also be plus on block, just like it is from F4. Sub Zero's options from this can still be armoured.

When Aura is active, Sub Zero's throw damage should be buffed.

Faster uppercut in unbreakable variation.

Can't really say whether or not the changes are overkill, you're correct nobody uses the variations enough

MB hammer being a true block string seems a tad much, that and the faster D2 in cryo, 9-10 with that range seems immense.

The changes on some of the strings like 112 seems reasonable.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
I honestly think Unbreakable is just fine the way he is.

The main thing Unbreakable Sub-Zero has to do is work on his AA. He doesn't get pressured, doesn't really use meter, doesn't get chipped, gets up to ~160% health, carries an opponent to the corner extremely quickly... He's very solid and doesn't need any buff, IMO.

Last edited: